Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Congratulations those of you discussing her weight. Next, lets discuss how tragic it is that Brad and Angie are divorcing or how big Melissa McCarthy is or whos to blame in the Swift and Loki split. 

• Like 4

So this was absolutely delightful.

14515746_150527382073066_573839394176237

Beautiful, beautiful film. Refreshingly full of joy and energy, with some very poignant moments, and yet it does not devolve into cliche, Chazelle really plays a premise which could've devolved into a total nostalgia fest with just the right amount of restraint and up-to-date-ness. It may feel like a love letter to the old Technicolor musicals (right down to the very first frames, and Sangren's stunning cinematography), but the story is very much what something like this would be like today - in fact all the elements in play hit the balance between the nostalgic and the current perfectly - and I really liked the way Chazelle integrated and transitioned to and from the musical numbers - together with Sangren's cinematography, it's all so smooth and natural almost. 

Performances  - Gosling and Stone - I really really can't see Watson and Teller in these roles, although idk how much the roles may have been adapted to G & S specifically. In any case - they were as you'd expect - great and most importantly their relationship works, you can invest in it. And seeing JK Simmons and John Legend, albeit briefly, was very nice too. But they aren't the real stars of the film - it's Hurwitz's really great score and the songs - most importantly they are iconic and hummable (Gosling whistling City of Stars has been stuck in my head since the teaser and it's even worse now) and I need that soundtrack album right. now. And the numbers themselves - they are an absolutely fantastic marriage of insanely impressive choreography, cinematography (lots of what appeared to be single takes in these numbers) and music. 

All in all, Chazelle rises - I will be honestly shocked if this doesn't land Best Picture because between the fantastic execution and the meta of it all (the LA/Holylwood setting etc etc), this is prime awards season stuff even if it 100% isn't Oscarbait. Will liekly end up one of my favourites of the year when all is said and done - hell, on an as objective level as possible it's probably the best film of the year. In any case - I really can't think of any flaws....

• Like 10

On 30/09/2016 at 4:41 PM, The Futurist said:

So if  it s not your favourite movie of 2016, you ll be disappoint ?

:thinking:

Y'all need to temper your anticipation. Movie is best watched without everyone being like OMG this will be my fave of 2016, cus it'll disappoint almost certainly 100%. It's deliriously entertaining and so much fun, and obviously fantastically executed, but end of the day it is more entertaining than impactful imo in a way that like you enjoy that popcorn flick, but won't usually say it's the best film of the year. Saw it twice at TIFF, and like don't get me wrong I do really like the movie, but I think it doesn't hold a candle to movies like Manchester, Jackie, or Nocturnal Animals that leave you speechless and in awe. 

• Like 1

Festival hype is a double-edged sword. It probably helps a lot of movies make a lot more money than they would have otherwise but it also means people have plenty of time to form an image in their mind of the "greatness" the movie will convey and wind up disappointed that it doesn't deliver on it.

• Like 2