Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

7 hours ago, babz06 said:

They don't know how to write reviews. 

They are both very capable of writing reviews and McCarthy and Gleiberman certainly know how to write well (not common) and know cinema.  But too often these trade reviews are more in depth critique than review, which is great to read AFTER you've seen the movie, not before - which is what reviews are meant for. 

• Like 1

On 1 September 2016 at 4:40 AM, tribefan695 said:

Trade reviews are aimed at industry people who aren't as sensitive to spoilers as movie geeks. Really, for any review you should just read the first and/or last paragraph (the thesis) if you're sensitive to spoilers

I wish more people understood this. Also the whole anti-spoiler movement is bloody ridiculous.

On 8/31/2016 at 11:40 PM, tribefan695 said:

Trade reviews are aimed at industry people who aren't as sensitive to spoilers as movie geeks. Really, for any review you should just read the first and/or last paragraph (the thesis) if you don't want spoilers

Yeah, but @NuTella Lover of Sky Beams is an industry person who's super sensitive to spoilers. Hmm.

24 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Put another way, they're aimed at industry people who have a vested interest in knowing all the details about a film, including the spoilery ones. It's a style that's worked for them for decades

I know what you meant, I was just trying to rib tele. :P

49 minutes ago, trifle said:

Emma Stone just won best actress at the Venice Film festival!

I was just coming to post the same news.

I'm sure this is just the beginning of many awards for Emma this year, hopefully culminating with the Oscar. If Emma wins I'll party hardy and do an epic happy dance. dancing-smiley04.gif

• Like 1

Damn it! They are screening La La Land at the Toronto International Film Festival, but I just checked the schedule for the upcoming Vancouver International Film Festival and it's not on the list.:angry:

I would have loved to see it in 2 or 3 weeks rather than wait until December, but no such luck.

• Like 1

Just saw this a few hours ago. I won't say much it, but that I loved it, and my favorite sequence in the film is one set in observatory / museum and has no dialogue, just music and features a lot of fantastical imagery. Also Gosling and Stone give some of the performances of their careers to date, and Chazelle's direction / script is top-notch. It's just a great movie!

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 10