Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think your early Best Picture additions include the following....

- Hell or High Water

- La La Land

- Manchester by the Sea

- Fences

Need to wait on reviews, but other contenders likely to be Live By Night, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, The Founder, Silence, Loving, Moonlight and others.  

Depends how the campaign goes in a couple months

Yes

Yes

Yes

If it even gets a platform release

Yes

This is Weinstein we're talking about :redcapes:

Yes

Nope. This is going to get Carol'd.

Maybe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bapi said:

Also 5/5 from the Telegraph:

Interesting, but I think this will be the kind of movie all the big sites give wonderful reviews to and the smaller ones come in later with reviews that, while still being positive, are a lot less enthusiastic. We'll see about that, but no matter what happens this early praise is incredible. A lot of As/10s!

Just now, Arlborn said:

Interesting, but I think this will be the kind of movie all the big sites give wonderful reviews to and the smaller ones come in later with reviews that, while still being positive, are a lot less enthusiastic. We'll see about that, but no matter what happens this early praise is incredible. A lot of As/10s!

It's possible. But after I saw movies like Civil War making 'this year's best movies so far' lists on those less prestige movie sites... I'm not sure if I still care about their opinions like I did few years ago. LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Empire said:

Love that this is getting lots of glowing reviews! 

Me too.  I'm seeing it on more and more 'best picture prediction' lists.   I like Emma Stone, and I'm glad a musical is getting this sort of attention, and not just on stage.

• Like 1

So what are the predictions for this? The most recent musicals that have done well are already well known(Les Meseriables, Into the Woods). I think the last one that was original material was Burlesque and that bombed (11.9 OW/ 39.4m DOM) 

However, La La Land is surely going to have better reviews and is a contender for BP. 

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

So what are the predictions for this? The most recent musicals that have done well are already well known(Les Meseriables, Into the Woods). I think the last one that was original material was Burlesque and that bombed (11.9 OW/ 39.4m DOM) 

However, La La Land is surely going to have better reviews and is a contender for BP. 

I keep thinking of Black Swan, which made $107m with the exact same release pattern this is going to have (platform release the first week of December, wide expansion the weekend before Christmas... they both premiered in Venice too). Add glowing reviews, Oscar buzz, and likely great word-of-mouth, and I really think $100m is more likely than not. 

• Like 2