grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Honestly i watched the trailer like 10 times now. Im addicted.

It really reminds me of Deep Blue Sea, which i love despite (or because of) its flaws. Day 1 for me. Might be my 2nd most anticipated summer movie now only behind JW2.

Yeah, it gives me a Deep Blue Sea vibe as well. DBS was a fun movie with one of the most hilarious on screen deaths ever. If The Meg can match the entertainment value of DBS, then it will be worth the price of admission and then some.

• Like 1

I think I like the international trailer better.  I expect some camp of course, but the domestic one made it look so much more campy.  If it was that, that's fine too, but I am hoping for more of the tone with the international version

49 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Yeah, it gives me a Deep Blue Sea vibe as well. DBS was a fun movie with one of the most hilarious on screen deaths ever. If The Meg can match the entertainment value of DBS, then it will be worth the price of admission and then some.

Spoiler for Deep Blue Sea:

Spoiler

tumblr_nea4ak7QtS1qhjbxeo2_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stay-cool said:

It’s more Deep Blue Sea than Sharkado. 

That's the vibe I was getting from the trailer. More tongue-in-cheek embrace of the genre than an outright parody. It looks light years better than the last several Statham vehicles (despite my reserved enjoyment of the so-bad-its-good Mechanic: Resurrection).

10 hours ago, stay-cool said:

I saw this last summer at a test screening and it was fucking awesome. Might be my favorite shark movie since Jaws. I gotta say that I don’t feel like this trailer accurately represented the tone of the film. It’s definifely not Sharkado with a 150 million dollar budget. It’s more Deep Blue Sea than Sharkado. 

Are you supposed to be talking about a test screening? I thought people where bound to secrecy from those.

56 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it looks fun but is there enough audience for this type of film to make a 150m movie? 

The good news is that, the way tickets a priced these days, only 15 million people have to pay for $10+ tickets to drive this film over a $150 million total. If this film can entice demographics outside of the audience that gave The Shallows and 47 Meters Down healthy runs, I absolutely believe that The Meg is capable of such numbers in the domestic market alone. Looking like a fun thrill ride can go a long way for a film.

Edited by slambros

When I saw the rating I was iffy. But the trailer makes it look fun and it pretty entertaining. It looks like it would be a pretty good movie. Looks more appealing than Pacific Rim 2 or even Deep Blue Sea 2(to name a few). It should do ok. I mean it will probably flop because audiences will wtf, but at the same time I have a feeling that it”ll do well.

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

That doesn’t seem like breaking out for a movie that cost $180 million.

It’s REPORTED to cost $150 million. Tomb Raider was reported to cost $180 million it turned out it cost $94 million. I think this movie is closer to Tomb Raider’s budget.