WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

I literally just got home from the store (Meijer) buying donuts, and while I was there I peeked at the toy department, and I saw two different families taking $20 Ant-Man toys up to the checkout lanes.

As stated by Boner Omega, this is another brand that has been built and will now generate revenues for years to come.

Yep. When it comes to Disney, movies are just giant ads to sell overpriced toys. Fox could make more on F4 and still won't see the same profit Disney would.

• Like 3

It occurred to me that we are 10 films away from having one thousand $70m grossing films. Which film will get us there? Magic Mike could possibly make it. Ant-Man, MI:GP, and F4 are locked, Paper Towns, Pixels, Trainwreck will probably make it, so if all of them succeed that's 7 films. Compton and U.N.C.L.E are the only other contenders in August, maybe Ricki if it turns out to be good. Either way it's happening by the end of September.

• Like 1

Captain America Winter Soldier had 10.2 m Thursday previews and made 95 m OW.

Ant-Man had 6.4 m which is around 63% of Cap's previews.

So 63% of 95 m puts Ant-Man around 59 m OW which would be around what most sites predicted.

Yeah, I know he's in another shot but it barely counts. He has no actual role in the movie other than in that Avengers scene.

What was the big laugh from him?

After Ant-Man

kicks his ass, Falcon says something over his com-link like "it is very important to me that Cap NEVER finds out about this!"

Both crowds I saw it with laughed loudly at that line...

Edited by BlanketMan
  • Like 1

The range that pretty much every single outlet predicted for Ant-Man.

Very good number for Trainwreck. This seems like it's best possible performance, I don't see how anyone could have realistically expected more.

After Ant-Man

kicks his ass, Falcon says something over his com-link like "it is very important to me that Cap NEVER finds out about this!"

Both crowds I saw it with laughed loudly at that line...

Oh. No one laughed at that in my showing. Maybe that was because there were only 8 of us in the screening.

Or maybe it's because the line isn't funny  :ph34r:

My theater has more showing for Trainwreck than Ant Man eventhough Ant Man is the shorter, broader, and obviously busier and more fan driven film.

I really dont know what to think. What is going through managements head?

Trainwreck cost $35m so it'll be profitable for Universal from just domestic alone, OS doesn't matter much as it'll likely only do big business in English speaking countries.

I'm in the UK and I've only ever heard of Trainwreck on this site.

Edit: watched the trailer, this will do VERY well on HV over here. Amy Shmurda (whatever her name) will probably be bigger over here by then anyway.

Edited by AJG

My theater has more showing for Trainwreck than Ant Man eventhough Ant Man is the shorter, broader, and obviously busier and more fan driven film.

My theater seems to be the opposite. That said, they're adding shows tonight since sellouts are already happening. I'd be shocked if it missed $10m today at this rate. I wouldn't even put something closer to $15m out of reason.

• Like 1

Lol, at my theatre Terminator has twice as.many showings as Trainwreck (4 vs 8) Edited by Ethan Hunt

Ant-man spoiler below. (Well not really a spoiler, but don't wanna mess up someone's fun.)

This makes me wanna watch Ant-Man. That Ant-man can become so small, gives it a lot of novelty when it comes to visuals, gags, etc.

"Even the usually dreaded training-montage sequence manages to unfold like a compelling dance number. Part of it has to do with the novelty of the training—it’s not many movies that show its protagonist attempting to leap through a keyhole,

or get a group of ants to pile sugar cubes into a cup of tea"....lol

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ant-man-2015

Edited by a2k

Ant-Man apparently did 16% of business on IMAX last night, will probably end up being 20% or so by the end of the weekend.

It looks like Sony has made an extreme last minute play though, Pixels is taking IMAX screens next weekend, it just showed up on the IMAX official website today. Kind of shocking that a Marvel/Disney movie will only get 1 week in IMAX: https://www.imax.com/movies/m/pixels-an-imax-3d-experience/