grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

For those of you asking how can this movie be so Bad. Or what is it that's making people give it 0/10 or 0/4 etc. 

Its hard to formulate why it's so bad. That's how bad it is. Like it's a level of badness, the human brain has not yet experienced and therefore cannot express properly. 

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

For those of you asking how can this movie be so Bad. Or what is it that's making people give it 0/10 or 0/4 etc. 

Its hard to formulate why it's so bad. That's how bad it is. Like it's a level of badness, the human brain has not yet experienced and therefore cannot express properly. 

Well thank you for leaping on this grenade

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So what you are saying is that... maybe this idea needed a better creative team?

"Okay, son, what do we do after we go potty?"
"Should we wash our hands?"
(laughs at same time)
"We’re number two!"

Jesus Fucking Christ.

8 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Tbh, I actually can't fully understand what is so bad yet.

We knew that it would have been unoriginal and not inspired but a 0/10 should justify something nearly offensive.

This - I agree with - just b/c it seems to be derivative and soulless - that's not a 0.0 (forget the tomatoes - the top critics actual ratings are worse)...the 0 ratings for a premier movie are probably wildly unfair...

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 hours ago, El Panda Machos said:

Also, just think.  This movie idea was pitched to three studios and Sony "aggressively" bid for it. 

After the LEGO movie and Angry Birds' success this concept surely sounded like it had a lot of potential for the studios. It actually had potential imho, I guess they just needed a better creative team.

• Like 2

The Emoji Movie will cause long term damage to Sony Pictures Animation, most studios can survive a critical dud but something as badly reviewed as this will hurt their next few films like The Star and that one doesn't look great to begin with

Is it me, or do the headlines/blurbs on RT for this film make it seem like critics are more focused on their biases and movie-snob attitudes than on the actual quality of the film? I see more 'Hollywood is doomed!"/"How Low Will Hollywood Sink!??"/"OMG It's the End of the World!" than actual critiques of the film. I know that critics are inherently biased (like all human beings), and that is ok, but jeez...could they at least try to act movie-critic-ly and stop the melodramatic pearl clutching and the "Ugh! I only like deep films!" pretentiousness?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The blatant product placement is probably what's really pissing them off.

The thing is that superhero films are really 2-hour product placement for amusement park rides, toys, and merchandise, and critics always give them props (especially if they are MCU). I refuse to bash a film just because it wants to make a buck. 

• Like 1