kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

What’s driving the redditbros to attack this ones Audience Score?

I get TLJ ruined their childhoods with diversity, and BP destroyed their all white avengers fantasy.  But this one’s 1960s nostalgia, that should be right up their ally.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Saw Mary Poppins Returns in Dolby Cinema today. Really, not my kind of movie, the kind I go to with my wife if football isn't on. I have never seen the 1964 film. I am much more an Aquaman and Spider-Verse kind of guy. But decided to see it because heck, I had an unused A-List for this week.

And I *really* don't like song and dance shuffles! 

Was surprised by how much I liked it. The movie was jaunty and entertaining. The song and dance routines were tolerably short. Emily Blunt was captivating, couldn't take my eyes off her face, she was perfect visually and in terms of her acting. And the Van Dyke cameo, really more than a cameo, is for the ages.

Recommended .... B ..... 722/1000

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I get TLJ ruined their childhoods with diversity, and BP destroyed their all white avengers fantasy.  But this one’s 1960s nostalgia, that should be right up their ally.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is suspiciously brown (as are other supporting characters) and the movie is dangerously anti-capitalist. 🧐

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I want to expand on this a tiny bit before I take off for a while.

I think what irks me the most about the RT/Flixter audience score is that it's a lot like a black box. We can see the output, but I don't know all of the sources of input.  The actual audience reviews left over on RT are obviously one source of input, but it can not possibly be the only one.  The sheer lack of reviews posted on the RT page makes that clear.  

I seem to recall hearing of other ways the RT/Flixter score is added to, but I don't recall them at the moment. 

More to the point, I'm not entirely sure we know how RT/Flixter interprets everything that goes into the box and what it spits out.

It's the opaqueness that bugs me, mostly.  Like if I knew for certain that the vast majority of votes were just a glorified web-poll where one drops a score and moves on AND where most of the web-polling input was coming from, I could deal with it on its own terms.  Or at least have a better sense to how to gauge things.  Like, if I knew where these votes were coming from, I could check the sources and see if there was any funny business going on, or what sorts of groups were congregating there.

Say what one will about IMDB or reddit (and I'll say plenty), at least I can see which folks are screeching the loudest and which aren't.

But the RT Audience Score?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sums it up for me.  

Yeah, I just logged on tried it out.

You can leave a rating without adding a review.

I gave it 5 stars :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PANDA said:

It’s a Disney film and they don’t like Disney (Roseanne, James Gunn, Star Wars).

Reddit also seems quite chill about this movie. This ain’t them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, movieboner said:

Aquaman is going to crush this movie with hurricanes, tidal waves, maelstroms and an army of great white sharks over the weekend...5 day weekend. 

Now I remember why I stopped using this site for a while. New people with no profile pics that come for CBM's and leave once they're run is done.

• Like 5

Just got out. This movie is gonna be catnip for older women. My mom wants to go again. 

It is lovely. It is Bursting with optimism and joy and messages of acceptance. It just made me HAPPY. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AJG said:

Now I remember why I stopped using this site for a while. New people with no profile pics that come for CBM's and leave once they're run is done.

This is what killed the forums. This place is so dead compared to what it once was.

• Like 2

Just now, The Futurist said:

No, so imagine my surprise.

I expected the Poppins part with the children but didn't know what the struggle was about.

(Spoilers, I guess)

The kids’ father was a banker, very stiff and not any fun, but the original movie has 2 songs called “A British Bank (The Life I Lead)” and “Fidelity Fiduciary Bank” (where the bankers sing about the joys of compound interest).

:lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

Here’s just one example why redditbros are against this (the other being that its a woman led movie) - tread carefully

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Here’s just one example why redditbros are against this (the other being that its a woman led movie) - tread carefully

It’s even that bad on the “liberal” part of reddit.

Go to the SandersForPresident reddit and half the threads are “Why don’t colored actually see why Bernie is best for them?”, like they’re completely non-self aware