kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Blunt definitely deserves a BA nod for this. She may even deserve the win in all honesty. There's no other movie I've seen this year that is carried this much by a superb lead performance. I also haven't seen a movie this year yet where I was as eager to keep seeing more of a performance like I was with her in this movie. You really feel her lack of presence when she's off screen.

She’s obviously gonna be compared to Andrews the most but I was actually reminded more of Amy Adams in Enchanted. An absolutely irresistible lead performance that’s sure to become one of the more iconic for the Mouse House.

I... don't agree. She often seemed like she was straining to put on that polite deadpan tone. Almost sounded like she had a cold sometimes. I mean, she's fine but wasn't spectacular.

Hailee Steinfeld left more of an impression in Bumblebee, tbh. And she sure as hell doesn't deserve it over the Roma lead; or Elsie Fisher in Eighth Grade

Edited by tribefan695
  • Thanks 1

This movie shouldn't have existed at all.

Lost the Shay's time seeing it - and the punishment for this is being a total bomb at the B.O.! Never make such movies again. Fire the Disney guys who think they can just remake anything and made this...

And a big LOL at all who believed this niche nonsense to be comparable to big universal movies like Aladdin and Alita. Fucking LOL, guys. Pathetic. 😕

Edited by shayhiri

On 12/26/2018 at 1:33 AM, shayhiri said:

This movie shouldn't have existed at all.

Lost the Shay's time seeing it - and the punishment for this is being a total bomb at the B.O.! Never make such movies again. Fire the Disney guys who think they can just remake anything and made this...

And a big LOL at all who believed this niche nonsense to be comparable to big universal movies like Aladdin and Alita. Fucking LOL, guys. Pathetic. 😕

The second weekend will be bigger than the first and it will be probably a financial success only with the Us numbers  but let's call it a box office bomb i guess. 

I want to analyze MPR after we've seen it perform (or underperform not flop) at the Box Office

I think it just confirms that maybe Emily Blunt cannot really sell movies to audiences like how a movie star like Dwayne Johnson or Jason Momoa, or Sandra Bullock can do

Also, despite Lin Manuel Miranda being so beloved in the USA due to Hamilton, his appeal is only limited to that region (or to an extent, including the UK) and I think Disney didn't keep in mind that Lin is virtually unknown to the rest of the world, and Hamilton is only a hit in the USA.

Coupled with the fact that the songs aren't as good and ear wormy as the original's (and not even on par with modern musicals), plus the critical complaint that the movie is a retread of the Original, made MPR perform the way it did.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Oemorrob said:

I want to analyze MPR after we've seen it perform (or underperform not flop) at the Box Office

I think it just confirms that maybe Emily Blunt cannot really sell movies to audiences like how a movie star like Dwayne Johnson or Jason Momoa, or Sandra Bullock can do

Also, despite Lin Manuel Miranda being so beloved in the USA due to Hamilton, his appeal is only limited to that region (or to an extent, including the UK) and I think Disney didn't keep in mind that Lin is virtually unknown to the rest of the world, and Hamilton is only a hit in the USA.

Coupled with the fact that the songs aren't as good and ear wormy as the original's (and not even on par with modern musicals), plus the critical complaint that the movie is a retread of the Original, made MPR perform the way it did.

Thoughts?

I think it's a marketing problem. 

Every non-SH DIsney movie has failed to reach its full potential since Beauty and The Beast. (Maybe TLJ wasn't bigger DOM because of its divisiveness but it was certainly a marketing failure OS) 

They do know how to milk merchandising from all the movies, but the way they've been treating the movies themselves hasn't been half as good as WB or Universal, especially OS. But they're still the biggest studio by far so I don't think they'll worry unless the MCU starts falling apart.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, expensiveho said:

I think it's a marketing problem. 

Every non-SH DIsney movie has failed to reach its full potential since Beauty and The Beast. (Maybe TLJ wasn't bigger DOM because of its divisiveness but it was certainly a marketing failure OS) 

They do know how to milk merchandising from all the movies, but the way they've been treating the movies themselves hasn't been half as good as WB or Universal, especially OS. But they're still the biggest studio by far so I don't think they'll worry unless the MCU starts falling apart.  

Marketing is the answer.  For all of Disney's strengths and the impressive way they've built their animation and Marvel properties, it is the WB that really stands out as world class marketers.  WB are absolute pros at this.  Crazy Rich Asians, Aquaman, and A Star is Born were standouts this year, and who can forget IT from last year.  If i were a filmmaker, i would have no problems entrusting the marketing of my movie to WB. 

6 hours ago, katniss said:

Marketing is the answer.  For all of Disney's strengths and the impressive way they've built their animation and Marvel properties, it is the WB that really stands out as world class marketers.  WB are absolute pros at this.  Crazy Rich Asians, Aquaman, and A Star is Born were standouts this year, and who can forget IT from last year.  If i were a filmmaker, i would have no problems entrusting the marketing of my movie to WB. 

Meg 45 ow was also a feat - had a colorful, cheeky vibe with A-grade design.

Loved what they did with Kong Skull Island, Dunkirk, Godzilla, SS looking at last few years.

11 hours ago, katniss said:

How so? there was an extensive marketing push for MPR with all the billboards, posters on buses, merchandise push, and Social media posts. I don't really know how else Disney is supposed to market this film. what did WB do differently?

• Thanks 1

So with this weekend's performance, it looks like $200 million is back off the table? Maybe $180-$185 million domestic with decent legs?

And overseas, it's not looking to great. Probably will do about the same overseas than in North America. So a WW total of under $400 million?

That's not all that great, is it? This has already been a crazy rollercoaster ride for this film at the BO.