kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

6 hours ago, cookie said:

Remember that up until a few months ago MPR was supposed to come out on Christmas Day. I think if they had gigantic expectations from the get-go, they would've scheduled it to open a week or two earlier (which they ended up doing but way after the fact).

The Greatest Showman was supposed to open on Christmas Day originally (like most musicals do) last year and ended up moving up too the Wednesday before Christmas as well. That movie’s run is likely what led them to move it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

I'm now putting MPR at $170 million at the ABSOLUTE ceiling. Could be as low as $150 million (domestic).

Not sure if it will go down as a flop, disappointment, or just on par for musicals that have a narrow audience target range.

Couple that with the realistic possibility that Ralph 2 won't reach $200 million and Disney has had a rougher than usual 2nd half of the year as well as 2 "bombs" in the first half (Solo and Wrinkle).

Really makes you wonder about next year considering all the pre-mature hate for their non-Marvel movies next year

170mil actually is really strong for a modern musical. I think people forget that. They forget that although The Greatest Showman had stellar legs it still only ended up in that range. Most of us just got too caught up in the Disney hype machine, that's all. It's not like Into the Woods grossed 250mil or something. 

I'll add that I'm a fan of Emily Blunt and I'm sure she does a fine job but I don't think her pairing with the Mary Poppins ip was anywhere near the zeitgeisty casting choice as people made it out to be. It wasn't like Emma Watson as Belle.  

Edited by Zakiyyah6

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

170mil actually is really strong for a modern musical. I think people forget that. They forget that although The Greatest Showman had stellar legs it still only ended up in that range. Most of us just got too caught up in the Disney hype machine, that's all. It's not like Into the Woods grossed 250mil or something. 

I'll add that I'm a fan of Emily Blunt and I'm sure she does a fine job but I don't think her pairing with the Mary Poppins ip was anywhere near the zeitgeisty casting choice as people made it out to be. It wasn't like Emma Watson as Belle.  

Very true. I think Beauty and the Beast clouded peoples' beliefs about the usual ceiling for a live-action musical film. MPR will still be one of the highest grossing in its genre when all is said and done. 

1974-Present
Live action only.

1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $504,014,165 4,210 $174,750,616 4,210 3/17/17
2 Grease Par. $188,755,690 862 $8,941,717 862 6/16/78
3 The Greatest Showman Fox $174,340,174 3,342 $8,805,843 3,006 12/20/17
4 Chicago Mira. $170,687,518 2,701 $2,074,929 77 12/27/02
5 La La Land LG/S $151,101,803 3,236 $881,104 5 12/9/16
6 Les Miserables (2012) Uni. $148,809,770 2,927 $27,281,735 2,814 12/25/12
7 Mamma Mia! Uni. $144,169,664 3,194 $27,751,240 2,976 7/18/08
8 Into the Woods BV $128,002,372 2,833 $31,051,923 2,440 12/25/14
9 Enchanted BV $127,807,262 3,730 $34,440,317 3,730 11/21/07
10 Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again Uni. $120,634,935 3,514 $34,952,180 3,317 7/20/18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Blunt is absolutely fantastic in the role. I don’t care whether people think the casting was iconic or not, but she basically carries the movie on her back (with an LMM assist).

I thought Beauty and the Beast was a weak film and that Watson's performance was weak as well. But there is no doubt that Hermione playing Belle was a big marketing coup for the live-action film. The film would have always been huge but I think that casting helped it. I think Blunt is a vastly more talented actress than Watson and that people like her but her playing Poppins didn't up the excitement for the film. 

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Blunt is absolutely fantastic in the role. I don’t care whether people think the casting was iconic or not, but she basically carries the movie on her back (with an LMM assist).

There’s not much to the movie outside of their performances and the musical numbers.  Granted, those two things are the bulk of the movie so it’s very enjoyable.

But all of the plot parts of the movie, that didn’t include Emily Blunt or LMM I felt like I was just kind waiting to end so we could get back to the good part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PANDA said:

There’s not much to the movie outside of their performances and the musical numbers.  Granted, those two things are the bulk of the movie so it’s very enjoyable.

But all of the plot parts of the movie, that didn’t include Emily Blunt or LMM I felt like I was just kind waiting to end so we could get back to the good part.

Slight exception for Colin Firth but yes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Slight exception for Colin Firth but yes. 

Spoiler

Colin Firth is fun, but the plot revolving around Michael losing a stock certificate is a snoozer, and leads to a few eye rolling moments.

Thankfully not to much of the movie is spent watching him look for it.  It was much more entertaining to watch LMM turn off the lampposts (Granted, I’d probably watch a full movie of that, he’s such a fun presence that it’s entertaining).

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

I absolutely loved this movie. Emily Blunt was iconic! She really deserves all the praise she’s getting and more. 

CAST EMILY BLUNT IN MORE MOVIES!!! 

i was gonna say she's over 40 so her options will get smaller and smaller but she's 35??? she was 21 in prada, cant believe that. def. looks way older

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

i was gonna say she's over 40 so her options will get smaller and smaller but she's 35??? she was 21 in prada, cant believe that. def. looks way older

Yea she’s young. Shes always acted older/looked more mature which is prob why she seems older lol 

Either way, I hope she gets more roles. She commands the screen in everything she does. Not every actor/actress can say that. 

Blunt definitely deserves a BA nod for this. She may even deserve the win in all honesty. There's no other movie I've seen this year that is carried this much by a superb lead performance. I also haven't seen a movie this year yet where I was as eager to keep seeing more of a performance like I was with her in this movie. You really feel her lack of presence when she's off screen.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nova said:

I absolutely loved this movie. Emily Blunt was iconic! She really deserves all the praise she’s getting and more. 

CAST EMILY BLUNT IN MORE MOVIES!!! 

My impression is that she is very much ok with the amount of work she chooses. Which is a shame in a sense. I think we will probably go a whole year without seeing her working again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SofNascimento said:

My impression is that she is very much ok with the amount of work she chooses. Which is a shame in a sense. I think we will probably go a whole year without seeing her working again. 

Yea I read in an interview from her that she’s taking a break so she can spend some

time with her kids and that her filming schedule is dictated around them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea I read in an interview from her that she’s taking a break so she can spend some

time with her kids and that her filming schedule is dictated around them. 

Indeed. I'd love to see her in an action movie again. If EoT sequels happens then that's it. But a Star Wars film could also happen. 

Edited by SofNascimento
grammar
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

Indeed. I'd love to see her in an action movie again. If EoT sequels happens then that's it. But a Star Wars film could also happen. 

Or Marvel can fix the wrong and cast her as Black Widow for the solo movie :ph34r:

But yea I’m hoping she can get another action film maybe it be a franchise. I actually wouldn’t be opposed to see her doing a comedy of sorts either 

• Like 1