kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude's a DCEU (specifically loves Zack Snyder) fanboy. Of course he came to troll.

Correlation isn't causation. Sure he's a DCEU fanboy. And that's cool. And yea, he probably is here to troll. But we shouldn't just go making statements that fans of DC are inherently trolls. 

you're probably right though

• Like 3

Some of the 'reviews' complains are strange, like to about it being a musical (I understand the text as not liking musicals in general), and preferring action over it.

= Child that had to go with the family and now tries to 'punish' the movie?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Premium George said:

We also doubted black panther audience score. Examples go both ways.

You look at pretty much all the movies on RT main page at the moment, their audience score makes sense given the box office (except Grinch and a few others maybe). No need to start conspiracy theories every time a Disney film isn't universally loved; Ralph2 has average ratings and had unimpressive legs. And why wouldn't these "MRA trolls" target Infinity War? Why does BR, the #1 movie with a LGBT lead character, get a superb 90% in line with its amazing legs?

Anyway, let's wait a few days before even trying to claim audiences hated or loved MPR.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Correlation isn't causation. Sure he's a DCEU fanboy. And that's cool. And yea, he probably is here to troll. But we shouldn't just go making statements that fans of DC are inherently trolls. 

you're probably right though

It's a shame that fandoms, actually, tribes of any kind, are often defined by their loudest and most fanatical members. I loved Aquaman and I can't wait for MPR. The more good things in the world, the better, right? I mean, Aquaman, for fucks sake, and Mary Poppins! Who would have thought five years ago we'd be getting either of these movies? (To say nothing of a seemingly great Transformers and animated Spiderman.) This IS the Golden Age, and yet you'd never know it from the amount of bile that passes for commentary on the net...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

You look at pretty much all the movies on RT main page at the moment, their audience score makes sense given the box office (except Grinch and a few others maybe). No need to start conspiracy theories every time a Disney film isn't universally loved; Ralph2 has average ratings and had unimpressive legs. And why wouldn't these "MRA trolls" target Infinity War? Why does BR, the #1 movie with a LGBT lead character, get a superb 90% in line with its amazing legs?

Anyway, let's wait a few days before even trying to claim audiences hated or loved MPR.

Because they only target certain movies, they don’t give a shit about others, especially anything that they don’t think threatens their POV (ie, INFINITY WAR).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Premium George said:

We also doubted black panther audience score. Examples go both ways.

But that was a different thing. You know why they went after Black Panther. There's a very specific, despicable reason. And there's no reason this same people would be giving negative reviews to Mary Poppins. I think it could be genuine. Let's see. All I'm saying is I wouldn't ignore the audience score completely.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Because they only target certain movies, they don’t give a shit about others, especially anything that they don’t think threatens their POV (ie, INFINITY WAR).

And it’s just not Disney movies: First Man and Widows both got hit.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

But that was a different thing. You know why they went after Black Panther. There's a very specific, despicable reason. And there's no reason this same people would be giving negative reviews to Mary Poppins. I think it could be genuine. Let's see. All I'm saying is I wouldn't ignore the audience score completely.

I’ve seen the movie and there’s almost zero chance that many people — interested enough to seek out an early screening — would be giving it 1/10s. 

Just now, Telemachos said:

I’ve seen the movie and there’s almost zero chance that many people — interested enough to seek out an early screening — would be giving it 1/10s. 

maybe they were just saying their theater was 1/10th full? 😛 

but yeah I never trust any of the audience score anywhere anyway

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

And it’s just not Disney movies: First Man and Widows both got hit. 

But those were flops? Audiences didn't love these movies, and their RT audience score isn't even bad. How can you tell they got hit?

Such troll campaigns happen, but it is unclear how influential they can be in the long run. Sure, a few dozen trolls might give an early 1/10 but it soon becomes insignificant. Those are the same people who take credit for Solo bombing, with little evidence since the film had many other problems (and ended up with decent audience scores anyway).

Edited by MrGlass2

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

But those were flops? Audiences didn't love these movies, and their RT audience score isn't even bad. How can you tell they got hit?

Such troll campaigns happen, but it is unclear how influential they can be in the long run. Those are the same people who take credit for Solo bombing, with little evidence since the film had many other problems (and ended up with decent audience scores anyway).

I don’t have any sort of data to look at, but I’d check for a flood of 1/10s just prior to or at release. I’d also look for people who just joined to post a review or rating. 

tbh, if these aggregators cared about this, they wouldn’t allow audience scores for the first week or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2018/12/mary-poppins-returns-opening-box-office-1202522986/

Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns looks to be on course for a Wednesday opening day in the $7M-$8M range according to industry mid-day estimates. That figure is on par with the $7.2M Wednesday pre-Christmas opening for Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle last year as well as Disney’s Amy Adams 2007 musical Enchanted which opened the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to $7.96M.

The question is does Mary Poppins Returns get the pop from families over the weekend like Jumanji 2 did (5-day $52.7M, 6-day including Christmas was $71.9M)? There’s more serious competition in the family arena this year with Sony’s holdover Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Paramount opener Bumblebee and Warner Bros.’ Aquaman than what Jumanji 2 faced last December (arguably, in terms of the family play, it was just Star Wars: The Last Jedi). Should Mary Poppins Returns emulate a B.O. trajectory like Jumanji 2 or Enchanted, it’s looking at a five-day between $49M-$51M. Older females are sure to be a destination for the Emily Blunt — Lin-Manuel Miranda featureand that demographic is known to pre-buy and plan their visits to the multiplex.

Mary Poppins is currently booked at 4,090 theaters. Last night there were special Dolby auditorium previews at 250 sites, and Disney isn’t reporting those numbers.

Today there are 6% K-12 schools off and 74% colleges out. That number per ComScore moves up to 15% and 78% respectively tomorrow and 32% and 84% by Friday.

Edited by Daenys
  • Like 3