Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

This explains why The Golden Compass won in 2007, or why Dead Man's Chest won the year prior, or why The Lone Ranger was nominated in 2013, or why Snow White and the Huntsman was nominated in 2012, or why 2 Transformers movies have been nominated.

Nomination is absolutely not about best movie with some VFX, nomination process is by SFX expert from the branch member.

When the general voting body that does not know much about VFX vote for the winners, tend how good the movies was/was it a good movie to watch the screeners with the grand kids during the holidays can become much more of a factor.

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Let's be honest the award is usually "best movie with some VFX" not necessarily the BEST VFX period. Also I feel like Bumblebee feels like an even bigger snub given its strong critical reception and the fact that Transformers movies historically have done well in this category

For me personally I haven’t seen Aquaman and I’m not even fighting for it honestly cause it is what it is, but you seem to know quite a bit about the oscars so if you say it’s more along the lines of best movie with vfx then that makes more sense then for BP. And I  guess if you go by critical reception BP should be there then for sure. 

Personally for me I would rather IW win cause I thought it was a way better movie with vfx but again critical reception doesn’t reflect my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

This explains why The Golden Compass won in 2007, or why Dead Man's Chest won the year prior, or why The Lone Ranger was nominated in 2013, or why Snow White and the Huntsman was nominated in 2012, or why 2 Transformers movies have been nominated.

Not every year has a lot of good movies with heavy CGI. I mean were they gonna give to No Country for Old Men or something

The VFX branch discredited itself when they gave the oscar to that awful bear while Bay and ILM were changing the game in lighting, rendering and compositing in broad day light the same year.

Disegraceful really.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The VFX branch discredited itself when they gave the oscar to that awful bear while Bay and ILM were changing the game in lighting, rendering and composting in broad day light the same year.

Disegraceful really.

That a misconception of how Oscar voting work, VFX branch do not give the Oscar, every member vote for the winner (like for every category).

To have the people doing it awards, guild can be a better indication:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Effects_Society#Film

Film[edit]

In that world, transformer and the Apes movies win.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

In 2018, at Peak Superhero, AntMan2 will be the only big superhero movie out of the top 10 worldwide... another great achievement for this series.

No, the key was inflation. And superhero movies have increased in quantity not popularity since Disney started mass producing them. Adjusted for inflation, Superman, Batman, TDK and two Raimi Spider-Man movies are still in the top 10 all time. That is for domestic numbers; worldwide numbers have increased greatly but this doesn't only apply to superhero movies.

While comparing without adjusting for inflation doesn't make much sense, once Aquaman numbers are all added in it will show (once again) that the DCEU is doing very well financially - and the rest is fanboy nonsense ("BvS financial disappointment of the decade!"). 

Domestically, sure.

Worldwide (which the original post was referring to) the Avengers did have a massive impact on the genre.

I really doubt the noms/awards are be given for the not finished effects, I think the ones finalized are the ones that let the specialied professionals speak about certain movies (with each other).

And way more often it's about the subtle scenes/details than some seem to assume

9 hours ago, cax16 said:

Marvel coming for their first Oscar

Anything but BP please, that last fight scene was ridiculously bad. I hope infinity war wins.

This might be the very first time in Academy Awards history, when the movie with objectively unfinished=bad visual effects will get nomination for BEST VFX of the year. BP doesn't deserve to be in this 10 - Fantastic Beasts 2 and Rampage have so much better VFX - but he is... only for being Black Panther.

Remember:

Screenshot_19.png

79020ea248433dd1.png

comment_YziT8aCoJbz8OjDAi0u517UkgTHTdzrt 

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/24/black-panther-vfx-models/

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is one of the worst movie of the year for me (3/10) but from the list above, it has probably the best visual effects this year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The VFX branch discredited itself when they gave the oscar to that awful bear while Bay and ILM were changing the game in lighting, rendering and compositing in broad day light the same year.

Disegraceful really.

While I agree that Transformers by Michael Bay definitely should have won best VFX oscar that year as it was a game changer, the VFX oscar isnt decided by the VFX branch. All people that are a member of the Academy, which are many thousand people, vote on EVERY oscar category. You can be sure that most voters dont really think too hard about most of the more specific categories, outside of actor, actress, best picture and best director.

Decisions like that arent the result of many sleepless nights of consideration from members in the Academy, in actuality very little thought goes into an oscar win like that.

10 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

This nomination of Black Panther for best visual effects only proves to everyone that all nominations that this film has been receiving are for political reasons, not for the quality of the film, this nomination for best visual effects is a joke!

Y'all need to learn what this shortlist means before talking out of your ass. It's not a nomination! It's just a narrowed down shortlist by a panel selected from the individual branch in question (make-up, costume, music, vfx). They have not even starting voting on nominations. Jesus people, educate yourself.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is Avengers Infinity War getting a special VFX nomination for Mark-Ruffallo-head-in-hulkbuster?

:hahaha:

The fact that it’s even being shortlisted with that, is a scream lol 

What about Iron man's and Spiderman's floating heads in their awful cgi suits....

11 hours ago, Barnack said:

That a misconception of how Oscar voting work, VFX branch do not give the Oscar, every member vote for the winner (like for every category).

To have the people doing it awards, guild can be a better indication:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Effects_Society#Film

Film[edit]

In that world, transformer and the Apes movies win.

The Apes movies also just had the bad luck of being nominated in years where a high concept sci-fi movie was also in contention (or in the first movie's case, Hugo, a big Oscar juggernaut) and the Academy as a whole generally still prefers those.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Y'all need to learn what this shortlist means before talking out of your ass. It's not a nomination! It's just a narrowed down shortlist by a panel selected from the individual branch in question (make-up, costume, music, vfx). They have not even starting voting on nominations. Jesus people, educate yourself.

You are exactly right. Its a narrowed down list of movies that will be considered more closely for an exceptional achievement in VFX, and Black Panther shouldnt be anywhere near a list like that. Black Panthers VFX are not even mediocre, they are straight up terrible and most definitely nowhere near exceptional. Every run-of-the-mill blockbuster released this year has better VFX than Black Panther.

• Like 1