grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

3 hours ago, Nova said:

She's actually Indian, not black. And yes she's very talented. There are also very talented black actresses as well. Rihanna is not one of them. 

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Mindy Kaling is South Indian. My wife's a huge fan, we met her at an Indian restaurant in LA a couple of years ago, she was nice.

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

giphy.gif

(That reminds me of my racist charcoal black indian aunt who get all riled up when you say she's black even though my creole mum is considered black despite being way lighter than her...because obviously only african descent people can be black skinned...So "black" is not a color but an ethnic origin marker now?!...So that means I'm part-black, part-Indian then even though both parents are black-skinned...Geez the stupidity...)

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

You may not like it, but that is how it is. Even on her show, she refers to herself as "brown", in India the preferred usage is dark-skinned or dark-complexioned which is what is specified in matrimonial ads. 

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah and it is rotten. Because that fuckery has ruined carribean islands politics up to this day where indian hate "black" (read carribean of mixed/african descent) and vice versa. My dad is dark skinned indian and my mum "black" and lighter than him, and it's appalling and repelling how indians get upset to be considered "black" like it's a blatant insult to them and won't identify black people as equal.

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

Indians aren't black its a simple as that, in my experience its like calling a Turk and arab its just wrong and people get upset

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Indian people are definitely not black lol. Black people are people who are of African descent..... I know race is a social construct but Mindy Kailing is not considered black in anyway. Why is this even an argument? 

Race politics are silly, we're all humans, never lose sight of that.

ANyways, very hyped about this movie. Cate Blanchett :wub:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Nice to know the MRAs have already gotten to this movie.

The only message it sends is that it takes 11 guys to do the job of 8 women and as the men get older, they either need more men or add women to do the same job.  Steven is probably furious at the thought of being so impotent. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

already saw a comment on reddit about how this cast doesn't stay true to the spirit of the original (remake) btw.

I'm not seething with rage because women, it's just that the Ocean's 11 trilogy defined my childhood

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

Arab isn't a skin color. There are Arabs with skin as black as coal, there are Arabs with blue eyes.

Its just a reference not an exact parallel its a similar idea arab and Turk are diffrent races and both feel insulted i you confuse them so do persians as well

9 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Its just a reference not an exact parallel its a similar idea arab and Turk are diffrent races and both feel insulted i you confuse them so do persians as well

But there are black or 'dark' skinned Indians. Mindy is one of them. There are millions upon millions of other dark skinned Indians. They are 'black' for all intents and purposes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

We're all one race anyway. If you're going to get technical, Turks are also a mixed race, made up of Mongolians, Arabs and Caucasians. Whereas Persians originally descend from Aryans (hence the name Iran) they don't even resemble modern Europeans or most of the people living in the Caucasus. And they're mixed with Russians in the north on top of that. 

The sooner we accept we're all one race the better. We're 99.99% identical. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

We're all one race anyway. If you're going to get technical, Turks are also a mixed race, made up of Mongolians, Arabs and Caucasians. Whereas Persians originally descend from Aryans (hence the name Iran) they don't even resemble modern Europeans or most of the people living in the Caucasus. And they're mixed with Russians in the north on top of that. 

The sooner we accept we're all one race the better. We're 99.99% identical. 

LOL Its all great and fine to say were all one race but too bad were not treated that way. i hate when people tell people to shut up and that were all one race when people are discriminated and killed everydy because of their race. its dumb. 

anyway i dont know how this argument started. Im leaving this thread. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1