CaptainJackSparrow

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | 1B WW

After a nice first session in Paris 14H, ROGUE ONE realized the 8th start of the year on the whole of France with 271 502 entries on 910 copies, behind THE BOOK OF THE JUNGLE. We can be a little disappointed with these first figures, although obviously we did not expect to find the figures of STAR WARS - EPISODE 7 (619 200 entries). Is the public waiting for the start of the holidays to move around the rooms? Or the first echoes of the audience?

For his director Gareth Edwards in any case it is better than his previous film GODZILLA who had collected 152 505 entries for his first day.

ROGUE ONE is still perfectly positioned for the school holidays and worn by an excellent word of mouth should easily exceed the 4 million admissions.

google translate

http://www.leboxofficepourlesnuls.com/2016/12/15/box-office-france-1er-jour-8eme-demarrage-de-lannee-rogue-one/

Could it be that TFA wasn't interesting and non sw fans were only going for the event? No one is coming back after that display of mediocrity.

Now, what is the next legitimate threat to Avatar? Disney's Star Wars won't do it, Marvel can't do it. It will have to be something new and fresh, if they can do it, hats off to them.

• Like 3

Lol Iron, your post is funny, made me laugh a lot on the inside.

Otherwise, is anyone surprised? TFA is not a fluke, Rogue One was always going to do much less than it did, I have no doubt that some of the thinking for people having checked out TFA and not going to see this is along the lines of "Oh well, it's not the main trilogy, it's just a spin off about some characters we don't know, not interesting enough."

It's still going to do very well, TFA made 2.1 billion, helloooooooo?! WOM will be good anyway, so it'll have some legs. It's just not a main EVENT like TFA was, but still a really cool SW movie. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Lol Iron, your post is funny, made me laugh a lot on the inside.

Otherwise, is anyone surprised? TFA is not a fluke, Rogue One was always going to do much less than it did, I have no doubt that some of the thinking for people having checked out TFA and not going to see this is along the lines of "Oh well, it's not the main trilogy, it's just a spin off about some characters we don't know, not interesting enough."

It's still going to do very well, TFA made 2.1 billion, helloooooooo?! WOM will be good anyway, so it'll have some legs. It's just not a main EVENT like TFA was, but still a really cool SW movie. 

If you see the predictions people did for this you wiill understand that many will be surprised. People were betting on +1.5 b 

Also, those numbers are just not good at least. I mean  the OD is not in the top 5 of the year in almost no country. It is missing the top 10 i some..That's not what would anyone expect from a brand like SW...

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

If you see the predictions people did for this you wiill understand that many will be surprised. People were betting on +1.5 b 

Also, those numbers are just not good at least. I mean  the OD is not in the top 5 of the year in almost no country. It is missing the top 10 i some..That's not what would anyone expect from a brand like SW...

There's going to be two interesting things to watch about Rogue One's run. The first is whether it makes it to $1b or not, and the second, which I've mentioned before, is going to be whether it beats Fantastic Beasts overseas or not, because it's going to be really close.

46 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

In the UK thread it is said that it seems we are heading to an 4.5 m pounds opening (for comparison FB opened with 4.4m). If that number stands then this is another disapointing number and from a market that you would expect a lot.

Actually, I just said that. We don't have any numbers at all in the UK yet. It might be higher, we'll see.

• Like 1

FSS I think won't drop as much in these countries, it's just the mid-week start that disadvantages the second movie in a franchise return compared to the first where day 1 crowds are big regardless of the day of the week.  I still fully expect 600+ overseas, but we'll see. I'm wrong a lot.

• Like 1

From the Russian thread:

Kinometro has just released their early thursday numbers. They see Rogue One OD at 56-59M rubles Russia-only. That's 63-66M rubles or just 1,04-1,09M$ OD Russia CIS, which is only 31-33% of TFA OD! Kinometro sees Rogue One weekend at just 290-310M rubles Russia-only (about 325-350M or 5,4-5,8M$ Russia CIS).

That result will be shocking #19-21 OW of 2016. OMG!!! TFA set OW record last year...

Looks like Rogue One completely died in the evening. Let's wait for official OD number and saturday increase... But at this point 20M$ are not happening. Even 1B rubles (16,5M$) is not locked.

Futurist took the effort to calculate and check

58 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

France Numbers

Rogue One first day :

271 502 admissions.

8th Best Day of 2016.

- 56% from Force Awakens.

A lot better than I thought after some reactions here 

I had seen / post the numbers, but didn't calculate.

I didn't expect a 50% or higher in France for OD tbh. We will see how the OW will fare.

(edit: to make it clear, I do see the minus before the 56%, as in 56% drop)

What do the French speaking members say: how good is the translation?

I am interested in all languages, please ping me if you can say something about that for your language, thank you!

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3