Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

@POTUS I did an exchange rate of the projection you posted For Rogue One in USD, and according to such the following in USD would be this below:

MN 575,000

OD 6.3 million

OW 21.7 million

Gross 45.5 million

Man that would be a 63% drop from Force Awakens in USD. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

@POTUS I did an exchange rate of the projection you posted For Rogue One in USD, and according to such the following in USD would be this below:

MN 575,000

OD 6.3 million

OW 21.7 million

Gross 45.5 million

Man that would be a 63% drop from Force Awakens in USD. 

That's in the same range as the projected drop in South Korea -  65% down to about $8m from TFA's $23m

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

@TalismanRing With India and Korea having a huge drop from TFA, and China having such projection, It would seem that Asia with the exception of Japan is where Star Wars does not perform well.

It's not a blockbuster performer in most of Latin America either.

For example it's currently #23 for the year after 3 weekends in Mexico

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giesi said:

So it seems like the inclusion of Donnie and Jiang Wen didn't help a bit? I honestly can't believe it :(

Their fans.. like to watch Chinese epics, not hollywood films.

Same here in Singapore, many Donnie Yen fans watched Ip Man 3 at least 3 to 5 times last year but watched Rogue One once..

Plus the blame should be on TFA. A snoozefest that turned the whole Asia away from star wars. If R1 does not have Donnie Yen, i am sure it will gross even less... dy and jw are already helping it and reducing the drop.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 7:30 AM, Gavin Feng said:

That’s not bad. Many fans who watched MCU only care about Cap & Barkey(Winter-Shield Party) or Cap & Tony(Iron-Shield Party). Not only Team Cap or Iron but also fans were divided by Marvel in China after watching Civil War.

I understand. But i didn't mention the worst part, those young Chinese fans found Finn unheroic, weak and uncharismatic. Basically, they just ...hate him and try to ignore him as much as they can. They'd rather support the idea of ReyxKylo than Finn. ReyxKylo has already become popular and draws more attention than Finn/Rey's dynamic. But Finn is the main protagonist of this sequel, no one can undo it, the audience will be forced to see his face. I'm not against those fans and the couple they support (in fact, i like that idea. It has a potential to become an epic, complicated relationship/love story if Disney can execute it well), but it's unlikely that ReyxKylo will happen, i'm not even sure if Kylo can survive or not. I'm really worried about this triology's Chinese box office.

12 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I don't expect it to make half of SW

I was trying to make it less hopeless.:sadben:

Edited by Ariana
  • Like 1

Not surprised one bit about Rogue One tracking so far behind TFA. It's a direct prequel to A New Hope, and unlike in the west, A New Hope is not a film people have grown up on in China and I'd probably guess a large majority of people in China have not even seen ANH. I'd imagine most people in China's first movie going experience of SW was TFA, and R1 has almost no association to that film other than it being set in the same galaxy.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Their fans.. like to watch Chinese epics, not hollywood films.

Same here in Singapore, many Donnie Yen fans watched Ip Man 3 at least 3 to 5 times last year but watched Rogue One once..

Plus the blame should be on TFA. A snoozefest that turned the whole Asia away from star wars. If R1 does not have Donnie Yen, i am sure it will gross even less... dy and jw are already helping it and reducing the drop.

This is my first DY's movie that I didn't even watch its trailer. 

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

TFA was just a bad movie, to unoriganal... thats why they don't like starwars. Probably wasn't epic enough and i do agree with that.

Or maybe... Star Wars is just ridiculously popular in the US and not that much in Asia, and it has nothing to do with quality?

It happens!

I mean, Furious 7 is the top-grossing Hollywood import in China of all-time, does that mean it's the best movie of all-time? 

Different strokes for different people.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Or maybe... Star Wars is just ridiculously popular in the US and not that much in Asia, and it has nothing to do with quality?

It happens!

I mean, Furious 7 is the top-grossing Hollywood import in China of all-time, does that mean it's the best movie of all-time? 

Wish Furious 8 will drop, though it is difficult

5 hours ago, Ariana said:

I was trying to make it less hopeless.

I think to expect the same as SW 7 reached starts from a false exception point. As all countries worldwide have shown. So why 'expecting' in one country way more than even in motherland of the franchise.

The problem with the polite hints on some 'maybe wont reach SW 7 numbers' seems to be:

people who do not usually read in non-dom areas understand it still as a kind of goal, as in the results being near to it, like 80-90% of SW 7 to expect now insted of 100% or... of SW 7. At least that is my impression based on posts in the dom area and so on.

And when get pointed out the other numbers given here, they react partly IMHO a bit badly or disappointed.

Not meant as a criticism of being polite and nice... (I love people that are polite and nice), but to point out about being too vague about the adjusted numbers can end in the reactions/feelings os others you were trying to avoid. :)

5 hours ago, pepsa said:

TFA was just a bad movie, to unoriganal... thats why they don't like starwars. Probably wasn't epic enough and i do agree with that.

Don't conclude out of your POV, read up on the reactions given examples here. Like SW world's design being old fashioned, and - see older films shown later on TV (per a paid for TV station something) - lame sword fights and so on.

To a degree this argument would be a contradiction to the argument see one post above yours.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

It happens!

The Wom of TFA wasn't good at all in china tbh, the average score for TFA is terrible low for a blockbuster.

8 hours ago, pepsa said:

Your opinion. I thought TFA was massively enjoyable, familiar, but enjoyable. I think in some ways that familiarity was what Star Wars needed after a lot of the SW audience felt disconnected by the prequels. It was a hell of a lot better than most of the blockbusters of 2015 imo. I would have thought the unoriginal side to it would have been more obvious in the west than in China where A New Hope is a far less watched film by the general public. 

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Your opinion. I thought TFA was massively enjoyable, familiar, but enjoyable. I think in some ways that familiarity was what Star Wars needed after a lot of the SW audience felt disconnected by the prequels. It was a hell of a lot better than most of the blockbusters of 2015 imo. I would have thought the unoriginal side to it would have been more obvious in the west than in China, where A New Hope is a far less watched film by the general public. 

to be honest, if one are not star wars fans, one would never know it's so unoriginal.....

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

to be honest, if one are not star wars fans, one would never know it's so unoriginal.....

I think what is equally true is that if you are not a fan, TFA won't be the movie that makes you one. I went to see it with my brother and a friend in cinemas. My friend was so-so about it and she is neutral about SW. My brother hasn't seen any of the movies and he didn't like it (thought it was boring and Kylo being defeated so easy was stupid). I though it was ok-ish. Not good, not bad. The movie avoided being bad, trying to please as many people as possible by being completely by the numbers. In the short run it clearly worked. In the long run... well, we shall see.   

• Like 1