Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

8 minutes ago, VENOM said:

How are they going to advertise this movie? “Here’s some house chores black widow did before she died in a different movie you’ve already seen” 

Marvel releasing a solo movie about a character they just killed reminds me of Solo and how well that went 

Difference is they aren't recasting the main lead and the MCU brand has never been more healthier unlike Star Wars which was on more shaky ground after TLJ. Plus anecdotally I've seen way more demand for a Black Widow film than there ever was for a standalone Han Solo film.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It would be like a Solo movie starring Harrison Ford doing things just before TFA that could be important to the plot of future SW movies.      

Pretty different than the Solo we got.

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

See, I thought this before, and it might still be true. However it really depends on how many story threads are introduced in the film. Maybe it's not as simple as "some house chores Black Widow did before she died...". Knowing Marvel Studios, this film probably will serve that purpose while also opening other doors to characters/settings/plots that are very much relevant going forward.

I'm willing to give them a chance and. yes. I'll absolutely be there opening night to see for myself. It helps that I adore the cast too!

Black widow isn’t Han Solo popular though, why would people be interested in a dead black widow when she wasn’t that popular to begin with?

Edited by VENOM

3 hours ago, VENOM said:

How are they going to advertise this movie? 

My guess is we'll just get some random shots in the first teaser, but by the time a second trailer rolls around and tv spots actually start to air, we'll see a lot of multiple-Widow action. Lots of Florence Pugh. Maybe a lot of Widow vs Widow.

Another possible angle is raising the question of what's going on in the superhero world beyond the US borders. Was there a superhero arms race after the Avengers stole the show in 2012? (Not our box office arms race, but a fictional one within the MCU.) Perhaps kind of reminding us how impressed we were when we saw Wakanda, and asking "what about Russia and some other countries?" Similarly, Shang-Chi might raise a similar question.

That said, I will agree that it does not seem like the easiest movie to market. If it underperforms next year, you can bet that a lot of people will share their super hot take of "they should have made this a tv show and launched Disney+ with it alongside Mandalorian."

But don't bet against the Marvel/Disney marketing department. They're not perfect, but they're damn good.

In general, make a good movie, and they will come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Did you even read my post?

I did and it doesn’t really make sense. Who goes to see a movie about a dead character incase it opens a door to another character or plot line they don’t care about yet? It just makes the movie seem like filler, plus you can’t really market that in a trailer. 

Edited by VENOM

3 hours ago, VENOM said:

I did and it doesn’t really make sense. Who goes to see a movie about a dead character incase it opens a door to another character or plot line they don’t care about yet? It just makes the movie seem like filler, plus you can’t really market that in a trailer. 

It's Marvel Studios. I'm sure they'll find a way to market it as a must see for fans of the franchise. They're almost infallible right now. 

You're right to have this concern in general. I'm just saying Marvel Studios will get the audience in the theatre somehow and then we'll see why this movie was made. People trust them more than any other studio.

This may sound overly easy and simplistic, but it's true.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

It's Marvel Studios. I'm sure they'll find a way to market it as a must see for fans of the franchise. They're almost infallible right now. 

You're right to have this concern in general. I'm just saying Marvel Studios will get the audience in the theatre somehow and then we'll see why this movie was made. People trust them more than any other studio.

This may sound overly easy and simplistic, but it's true.

I haven’t really been getting that vibe from what people are saying of the ‘woke’ direction of phase 4. If Spider-Man was still in the MCU its also rumoured they planned to use him as Captain Marvels sidekick in Phase/4/5 which I don’t think people would be happy about either. I’m just saying Star Wars was also talked about in the same way you are talking about Marvel Studios, like they are untouchable.

• Disbelief 2

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Something Marvel will eventually flop like Solo but it won't be BW. 

Also, SM as CM sidekick was never a serious thing. It was speculation based on short exchange between CM and SM, lol. SM was clearly set up for the leader of TA in Endgame not as a sidekick. 

Oh ok fair enough 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, FilmBuff said:

Black widow isn’t that popular of a character?

lolwut

Look at the poster's name. Pretty clear he is SONY Spideyverse fanboy, and they are genrally like the FOx X men fanboys,for some reason they hate the MCU.