DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

53 minutes ago, trifle said:

Lionsgate has partnered with Univision to start what is being billed as the 'first Spanish speaking streaming service' which I find hard to believe.  (They don't, for example, have streaming services in Spain and Mexico? And the internet isn't world wide?)  However, they will have their library as well as new distributions.  Maybe they are thinking more of the Netflix / Amazon route....

Yeah we do. Quite a few, even. 

I think they mean strictly the US market. Geo-locking means that you can't access our services from within the US, despite the internet indeed being worldwide.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

Sully is looking at a pretty strong hold, which is no surprise in light of the reviews and strong audience reception.

Blair Witch tanked. That D+ CinemaScore is alarming, but I guess not terribly surprising given how bad scores for the genre tend to be and the fact that the original got a pretty nasty backlash in its day.

I'm surprised that Bridget Jones went so low. My screening last night was pretty well-attended, so I was expecting a breakout if anything.

• Like 1

Great hold from Kubo. Storks will probably hurt it a lot next week, but it's having some pretty good legs and should now finish around Boxtrolls DOM (50). Not bad all things considered.

I'm glad it's making the most of its run after a weak opening. It's my favorite Laika film (should probably watch Coralline again) and it deserved better, imho.

Edited by Celedhring

4 minutes ago, That One Guy Has Malaria said:

My curse continues with Snowden.  Mag 7 would prove that if I stan for a Sony film with a male main character, that's the only way the curse can be broken.

That's a very specific curse you have there. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

Lionsgate and s Power Ranger. Do we need any more reasons?

There's nothing wrong with Power Rangers. A movie series about teenagers fighting monsters with martial arts skills and giant robots can be silly fun. It started in the US in 1993 and the super sentai genre has been in Japan since 1975. For it to have that kind of longevity shows it has fans and there's room in the market for absurdly fun entertainment. If Lionsgate were to have a Power Rangers franchise that consistently pulled in the mid to late $100mil and early $400mil worldwide it'd be a solid franchise. The main problem I see with this movie is it's reported $120mil budget, which is really too high for something that has the low budget camp value as one of it's big draws with it's fans. If it pulls the numbers I said above and pulls in the fanbase, Lionsgate can still eat the loss and readjust with cheaper, campier sequels.

• Like 1

Bridget Jones cleaning up overseas

With $13M in 39 international markets through Friday, the third installment in the Bridget Jones franchise is on track to deliver a $29.4M offshore opening weekend. UniversalPictures, Studiocanal and Miramax’s presentation of Working Title’s Bridget Jones’s Baby has so far bowed No. 1 in 24 overseas territories. On Friday, it set a record for the biggest comedy/romantic comedy opening ever in the UK/Ireland with $4M at 641 dates. That’s also a record for the biggest Working Title and September launch of all time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Yeah you have the ones who say they didn't have "surgery" which might be technically true but they've been stuffed to the gills with fillers and Botox and lasered beyond belief, but hey, it wasn't surgery!

As for Zellweger, some speculated that it wasn't about looking more youthful, because she didn't really (she looked unrecognizable at first but not noticeably younger), but possibly to erase her ethnic features (she is part Sami) or because as she got older, the folds of skin around her eyes were causing vision problems for her. If it was the latter, even if it was more "vision problems" than vision problems, the fix would have been deemed medical and Renee could truthfully say she didn't have cosmetic surgery.  And if it was a medical thing, sometimes people keep that sort of thing private. Whatever happened, she looks more like herself than she did a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I think a movie about Bridget Jones having a kid would have been a better idea 5-6 years ago. And the reviews make it all sound charming, but a Who's the Daddy? scenario just seems so...Maury Povich. LOL, Colin Firth doing a "You are NOT the father" victory dance... :lol:

I think changing her looks was more due to a personal issue than a professional one. IIRC she did this after that breakup with Bradley Cooper. Reminds me of when Meg Ryan made a fool out of herself over Russell Crowe and then turned herself into the Joker. Renée was quirky. She was gonna get . work regardless. I don't think the changes had anything to do with her career. In my opinion they had more to do with self esteem and rejection.

But whatever. She's still my girl. I probably won't see this movie in the theaters though. I agree too much time has passed. But by most accounts it seems to be a charming film.