CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

That's a strange approach cause Baron is a popular villain in the book because he's verbose. He's snarky and sarcastic. But fair enough, lets see where it goes in Part 2.

Re: ending. I think that it would have landed really well if they had just kept the Friend of Jamis speech. Without it it felt a bit abrupt. So easy fix but I understand why they didn't do it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's a strange approach cause Baron is a popular villain in the book because he's verbose. He's snarky and sarcastic. But fair enough, lets see where it goes in Part 2.

Re: ending. I think that it would have landed really well if they had just kept the Friend of Jamis speech. Without it it felt a bit abrupt. So easy fix but I understand why they didn't do it. 

I was surprised by how much Jamis' story was reduced.  One of several things that was stripped back, which is unfortunate, but understandable given the already long run time.

8 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I was surprised by how much Jamis' story was reduced.  One of several things that was stripped back, which is unfortunate, but understandable given the already long run time.

I think another reason was that they wanted to keep the Fremen culture less complicated to casual fans. Hence why the crysknife lore also got stripped back. I think it's deliberate because more disturbing elements of their culture could make them unsympathetic to casual fans. I love those elements but understand why they chose a more generic "oppressed noble warriors" approach rather than cunning  warriors with exceptionally brutal culture,  who pretty much manipulated outsiders that they are in the book.

Edited by Valonqar

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Nah, I'm not comfortable going back to a crowded theaters yet.  The only reason I saw The Last Duel is because it flopped and I knew I'd be the only one in the theater on a weekday.

Plus, if the movie is genuinely great and not just a technical achievement like Avatar or Gravity, I don't think the size of the screen matters much.

Oh and its free 😀

You are one of the last people I expected to be wary of going back to theaters.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this movie basically ends at the point where I start to totally zone out at the Lynch version, so Part 2 will be all new to me!

Fortunately for you, Part 2 is where all the best stuff happens and also where Lynch screwed up the most.  So you'll get to experience all of the best stuff without any baggage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Fortunately for you, Part 2 is where all the best stuff happens and also where Lynch screwed up the most.  So you'll get to experience all of the best stuff without any baggage.

This! So much this! It will also have state of the art effects to pull off the grandness and wackiness of the action. Which previous versions lacked.

10 minutes ago, ZackM said:

yeah i could tell as much watching it. I actually think his dune starts interesting and there's even a couple characters and moments early on where i liked his take better than what Denis did but it really falls apart. 

Edited by CoolioD1

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah i could tell as much watching it. I actually think his dune starts interesting and there's even a couple characters and moments early on where i liked his take better than what Denis did but it really falls apart. 

It's the most frustrating thing with Lynch's adaptation.  He takes the boring and least important portion of the book (compared to the entirety of the book, it's not boring or unimportant in a vacuum), and allocates 1h 20m of a 2h movie to it, then blitzes through all the best stuff while making really weird changes to it all.  The allocation of time and focus should have been inverted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZackM said:

It's the most frustrating thing with Lynch's adaptation.  He takes the boring and least important portion of the book (compared to the entirety of the book, it's not boring or unimportant in a vacuum), and allocates 1h 20m of a 2h movie to it, then blitzes through all the best stuff while making really weird changes to it all.  The allocation of time and focus should have been inverted.

The Lynch movie should've been abandoned. I don't believe for a second that Lynch even read the book, and I know for a fact he didn't understand it. He had no interest in adapting Dune; he had every interest in making a "David Lynch Movie" out of Dune.

1 minute ago, TheDude391 said:

The Lynch version is famously studio meddled so we can’t really attribute all of its issues to him, he wanted to do it as a 3 hour film originally before it got cut down. 

He wanted to film the entire thing in black and white and have Gurney carrying around an aardvark instead of a pug, which was already dumb enough. And changes like the stupid weirding modules, the Harkonnen heart plugs, Thufir milking a rat sewed to a cat for an antidote, that's 100% Lynch and those are all horrible ideas.

I'm not absolving the studio of anything, they deserve tons of blame.

But nearly every scene Lynch filmed is awful. I've seen his cut, I've seen the Alan Smithee television cut, I've seen two fan edits. There's no order you could put these scenes in that adds up to a decent movie. There's no amount of swapping takes, trimming, extending, or reordering that could save this disaster.

But the biggest sin? What's the first rule of cinema? SHOW, DON'T TELL. Having the characters whisper dubbed over internal monologues while the camera zooms in on them making constipation faces is one of the single dumbest decisions anyone could possibly make. I realize those monologues are in the book and they convey a lot of information. But the job of the director is to convey that information visually, and David Lynch utterly failed. 

Not to mention the fact that the movie starts with about 15 minutes worth of several different characters staring directly into the camera and dumping exposition in a monotone.