CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This! So much this! It will also have state of the art effects to pull off the grandness and wackiness of the action. Which previous versions lacked.

"State of the art" is relative.  Let's give credit where credit's due.  1984's DUNE was an *independent* production that Dino De Laurentiis raised around $40 million for -- a blockbuster budget in those days -- $10 million more than was spent on "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  While it's true that the optical effects may "date" a bit -- the miniature work, models, costumes, and lots of other details hold up very well, no matter what people actually think of the "film."  It's an extraordinary gamble for its time that no major studio would have put their money into -- and most of it holds up as a surreal sci-fi adventure of the mind.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"State of the art" is relative.  Let's give credit where credit's due.  1984's DUNE was an *independent* production that Dino De Laurentiis raised around $40 million for -- a blockbuster budget in those days -- $10 million more than was spent on "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  While it's true that the optical effects may "date" a bit -- the miniature work, models, costumes, and lots of other details hold up very well, no matter what people actually think of the "film."  It's an extraordinary gamble for its time that no major studio would have put their money into -- and most of it holds up as a surreal sci-fi adventure of the mind.

I don't think the effects of Dune were even particularly good compared to other science fiction films of the era.

The set design, the soundtrack, and some of the costumes (not the Hefty-bag-wearing Sardaukar) were beautiful but compared to stuff like Blade Runner, Tron, Aliens, Return of the Jedi, Wrath of Khan? Meh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Old,old,old,news.

When A New Hope opened, it was widely notes how much the desert scense has been influcned by Dune. That long skeleton in one shot is a pretty clear homage to the sand worms in Dune.

I love it when someone one the net posts what he thinks is some brilliant new  commentary or news on something when that comment or news has been made a few hundred times before.

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Problem is the Frank Herbert novel is not a surreal Sci Fi adventure of the mind.

The Lynch version is very hard to follow if you have not read the novel.

I like alot of Lynch's work, and think "Blue Velvet" is one of the great films of the 1980"s but he was a bad choice for Dune.

Loved this movie! Dune is my favorite book. The first Dune movie is one of my all time favorites. This new version is great as well. Although I still prefer Lynch's version. I'll probably see this new Dune 2-3 more times in the theaters. For me, it's the best movie I've seen in a while. 

8.8/10

1 hour ago, IcarusReborn said:

Loved this movie! Dune is my favorite book. The first Dune movie is one of my all time favorites. This new version is great as well. Although I still prefer Lynch's version. I'll probably see this new Dune 2-3 more times in the theaters. For me, it's the best movie I've seen in a while. 

8.8/10

DUne the novel is a favorite fo mind as well, but I did not like the 1984 movie at all. I consider it like the 1978 Bashi LOTR: well intentioned but an almost total failure.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

DUne the novel is a favorite fo mind as well, but I did not like the 1984 movie at all. I consider it like the 1978 Bashi LOTR: well intentioned but an almost total failure.

"Well intentioned" is giving Lynch's Dune far more credit than it deserved. I don't think he even read the novel.

11 minutes ago, famicommander said:

"Well intentioned" is giving Lynch's Dune far more credit than it deserved. I don't think he even read the novel.

I respect the hell out of Lynch but even putting aside that he was screwed in post, hand-tied by Dino in many decisions (like lighting), etc., the dude was just out of his depth. He wasn't ready to make a big film like that. Some of the staging (which he's usually great at) is bad here, the acting by pros is stilted, etc. Nevermind the whispering just comes off as goofy. But it's visually appetizing at times, so there's that. 

I frankly don't understand why people are giving it shit for ending that way when Fellowship and Two Towers ended in similar ways. It's absolutely a complete film if you're looking at it from the standpoint of Paul's character arc and journey. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I frankly don't understand why people are giving it shit for ending that way when Fellowship and Two Towers ended in similar ways. It's absolutely a complete film if you're looking at it from the standpoint of Paul's character arc and journey. 

Fellowship ends with a climactic battle between the fellowship and Saruman's hunting party, the death and redemption of a major character, and the break up of the Fellowship of the Ring.

The Two Towers ends with a huge battle(the most spectacular ever filmed at the time, and in many ways still is) and the Ents destroying Isengard, effectively nullifying the chief antagonist of the first 2 movies, ending the union of The Two Towers.  The last scene of the movie is Sauron's tower and Mt. Doom underneath a fiery hell-like sky of lightning upping the stakes even more for the third and final movie.

Those movies have a clear beginning, middle, and end both narratively and structurally.   Dune just kinda ends.  And I'm not knocking dune, I mostly liked it.  Maybe doing it this way was the best way for the material, I don't know I haven't read any of the books, but I definitely want to see more of it though.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1