CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

I really didn't like it unfortunately. A pretty monochromatic screensaver featuring a parade of facts from the Dune Wikipedia does not a good movie make. A joyless, poorly paced slog with nothing characters that abruptly ends. Acting like robots works for Blade Runner but here it's the opposite. Villeneuve's weakest film to me and I've seen them all in the theaters except the school shooting one and Maelstrom. 😑

51 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

I really didn't like it unfortunately. A pretty monochromatic screensaver featuring a parade of facts from the Dune Wikipedia does not a good movie make. A joyless, poorly paced slog with nothing characters that abruptly ends. Acting like robots works for Blade Runner but here it's the opposite. Villeneuve's weakest film to me and I've seen them all in the theaters except the school shooting one and Maelstrom. 😑

I don't think any of them acted like robots at all, far from it, nearly every character had some emotional core. I do think the movie could've used some more time on characterization though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

To me the biggest compliment to the cast was that I didn't feel distracted by "that's Thanos, that's Aquaman, that's Bond villain, etc". Most actors didn't have much to do but they blended in well, didn't stick out like a stunt casting. 

IMO. the only actor who had enough to work with was Rebecca Ferguson. she was just great in it. wouldn't be surprised if she got an acting nom. but would she be for a lead or supporting? I'm guessing she would be put in supporting. but she had about as much screen time as Timothy.  

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'd say 2049 > this > arrival but i'd take sicario over any of them.

I might put 2049 above it as well. forgot he did Sicario. I liked that movie a lot. but I would easily place it under all of those.

I liked this movie overall but one thing that really bugged me was the dreadful score. Hans Zimmer has become a complete caricature of himself. The whole “score” was just constant BWAM sounds and droning noise. It didn't matter if it was a battle sequence or a discussion.  It made the film feel heartless and sterile. Needed a more distinguishable score. Characters should have identifiable themes.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I liked this movie overall but one thing that really bugged me was the dreadful score. Hans Zimmer has become a complete caricature of himself. The whole “score” was just constant BWAM sounds and droning noise. It didn't matter if it was a battle sequence or a discussion.  It made the film feel heartless and sterile. Needed a more distinguishable score. Characters should have identifiable themes.

I am actually consider if Dune score is one of  the worst score for Zimmer.

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They were probably worried about the Star Wars comparisons if Dune went too big on the score, so they went in a different direction.

Edited by Mojoguy

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I loved the score and more than Zimmer's scores usually. Like Villeneuve, Zimmer's dream was to do Dune and was the first big name creative to be attached to the project. Zimmer wanted to create the score so that it is as alien as Dune and wanted to explore making it in new ways. He took a gamble and result is clearly polarizing. At least it's not over powering like in Interstellar at times (Nolan said it was intentional to take it to the limit volume wise).

A lot have been said about the coldness/not being cold or robotic/not robotic acting here. I think there's a cultural filter that each of us has for it and partly how we've used to see emotions shown on the big screen. I was raised in Nordics and rural area where our way of showing emotions might be a bit stoic. There are cultures where people express more. For me the Dune's reserved nobility, military discipline, or people moulded by their unforgiving surroundings couldn't hide their emotions and warmth.

Whether it was the excruciating terror that overwhelmed Jessica when she feared loosing Paul, showing the mother's love for her son, simple gestures of father's love for Paul, Paul's pride looking his father in the ceremony, the tent scene with Paul and Jessica filled with fear, disgust, guilt, sorrow and love, the camaraderie among Gurney, Duncan, and their caring for Paul, Baron's numbness for life, yet the joy that a simple pleasure of eating can bring, Liet's and Stilgar's subtle hope for a better future of Arrakis and the prophecy becoming true, and the list goes on. The more I think about it the more moments I discover where I related to the emotions.

The acting for these was superb and I love that it wasn't on the nose or underlining anyway. Faithful to the context and set up of the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I don't think any of them acted like robots at all, far from it, nearly every character had some emotional core. I do think the movie could've used some more time on characterization though.

some of the dialogue was very stilted and acting sort of wooden. I assumed that was a deliberate choice, like the characters sounding emotionless was indicative of the harsh world they inhabit. Didn't really bother me.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Yep, it was all of Zimmer's worst tendencies at maximum. One of his weakest scores. 

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Zimmer going nuts was one of the best parts of the movie. Calling it BWAM sounds and droning noises is just reductive.

I’ll admit that it’s not one of his scores that I’d listen to that much in isolation as it’s mostly mood setting music, but “Leaving Caladan” is fantastic. The music absolutely suits the movie though and sounds amazing in IMAX/Dolby.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Really loved the Salusa Secundus music, throat singing is my jam apparently. Aesthetically in general that section was fire.

That took a bit adjustment, and seeing the bagpipes scared the s**t out but somehow they pulled it off and it blended fast in the background.

That Salusa Secundus as well as couple other scenes would have gotten more depth with R-rating. I guess the blood needed to be diluted with the heavy rain from the upside down human crucifixions to keep the PG-13. Harkonnen and Sardaukar needed to be tamed.