Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers, Dec 19 | R1 17.596M

11 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

George Parr. Put down the Kool Aid.

Huh?

I didn't say that this would happen. I was quoting a post that said it could follow the drops of Sherlock Holmes 2, I merely added the numbers to show what this would mean if it actually happened. In no way did I suggest that it actually would play out that way. I even added where I think it starts to get a bit crazy.

Edited by George Parr

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I swear @SteveJaros is trolling us often here. He says he's followed the box office for nearly twenty years yet fails to acknowledge how distinctly different weekdays play over the holiday season v. early April and early May? Even when given evidence from previous years, namely 2011 when Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve last fell on a Saturday, or multipliers during the holiday season in general over the past 5 to 10 years, he seems to actively ignore said information. It's strange. The anomaly would be sub-$425M DOM for R1. It would play opposite of the holiday season box office trends charted over the past 10+ years.

He better be a troll. His predictions are so off that they are embarrassing.

• Like 1

I have a friend who worked for Cinemark and he told me several years ago when the Tuesdays started becoming a thing it was because Wednesdays had special performances and or new openers and they did not want to discount such things. Of course this was in the Era before previews for Wednesday openers. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Also, remember, fewer schools are out this year on the Monday prior to Christmas than last year which slightly deflates the Monday holiday season gross.

See the deadline quote one page earlier (probably posted a second before you posted this = you might have missed it), deadline quotes the % of schools open/closed... too, to get a maybe feel for the differences?

I think it is a good thing that comscore... report those %, a lot less work to do to try to get a feel for members here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Speaking of which are we not expecting Tuesday to be muted a bit with previews tonight for the 3 or are they not doing them?

out of the same link

Tonight Rogue One faces competition from three new wide entries starting previews: Universal’s Sing (6PM), 20th Century Fox’s Assassin’s Creed (7pm) and Sony/Village Roadshow’s Passengers (7pm).

Huh? Aren't previews usually done at Thursday?

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

out of the same link

for Friday release yes, but all those are being released on Wednesday so the previews are Tuesday

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

out of the same link

These movies open tomorrow

LOL four answers at the same time

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Something close to that.

Disney was at 2,700.5B as of Sunday night, so it needs basically 300MM between December 19-31.

Moana and DS should provide about 40MM during that time frame so that means it needs about 260-265 from R1 - which would mean 415-420 total as of Dec 31st.

Moana would do $50m by Dec 31 if it follows Toy Story 2's pattern which it's pacing ahead of.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Just now, Rallax said:

For Friday openers, yes.  These movies open Wednesday, hence the Tuesday previews. 

Thank you

Will open Wednesday because of the holidays, or?

btw, happy birthday @junkshop36 and @MovieMan89

1. junkshop36
    junkshop36 
    (42 years old)
  2. MovieMan89
    MovieMan89 
    (27 years old)
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Rallax said:

It's not going to line up exactly, but it's the best comp we have.

It surely is the best comp, but sometimes even the best comp is useless and I guess that's the case here.
I think it's fair to say, that RO won't come close to a 146% increase on Christmas Day and I'm not even sure, it will get a tuesday bump at all, so it might get off schedule as early as today already. 

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Also, remember, fewer schools are out this year on the Monday prior to Christmas than last year which slightly deflates the Monday holiday season gross.

But, regardless, thinking around $535M DOM for final. Just a hunch.

So 15m short of being an event?

• Like 1