FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

I just rewatched the entire original trilogy plus TFA for the first time all in a row.

Absolute classics, all of them. I wrote something on Letterboxd for TFA on Fisher's passing, and I want to post it here. If it needs to be moved, mods, feel free to.

"Rey. May the Force be with you."

From her first scene with Han Solo to her final line quoted above, General Organa is the same Leia we know throughout the entire original trilogy. Emotionally and nostalgically, the two scenes that Ford and Fisher share are some of the best scenes. Upon this rewatch, both had me near tearing up. I watched the four Star Wars films with Princess Leia in the past 8 hours, and Carrie Fisher's performance never was weak. The writing was at points but that's certainly not her fault.

Carrie Fisher was certainly more than Princess Leia. To reduce her to that singular role is to insult her mental health advocacy, her brilliant writing, and her delightful personality. I remember opening night of Force Awakens, when Leia's appearance got the second most applause in the film proper (after Han and Chewie's entrance). It is sad we have to say good-bye to a legend, but at least she went out with more love and fans than ever before in her career. Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher; we will miss you and the undeniable hope you brought everywhere you went, and thank you, not only for being our Princess, but for also being that shining ray of hope.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 17

In BOM chart, Disney 2016 gross is 2.7 until 19th of December.

After that day R1 has grossed 185M more. Moana 28M more. Strange 2M more. So we are already at 2.915b

Disney only needs 85M in four days to reach the mark. R1 will gross around 75-80M in the last 4 days of 2016. Moana will add 15M more easily.

It's going past this mark easily no matter the drop.

Edited by stripe
It needs 85M, not 75M.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, stripe said:

After that day R1 has grossed 185M more. Moana 28M more. Strange 2M more. So we are already at 2.915b

Disney only needs 75M in four days to reach the mark. R1 will gross around 75-80M in the last 4 days of 2016. Moana will add 15M more easily.

Oh wow. :jeb!:

37 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Oh wow. :jeb!:

It's almost 27% of this year gross (around 11.3B).

Even more impressive if we consider that it achieved that mark with 16 films out of 844 films in theaters through 2016. That means that less than 2% of the movies were from Disney.

* Keep in mind that we are talking of a natural year gross, not only the films released in 2016 but also the 2015 films that were in theaters at the begining of the year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's almost 27% of this year gross (around 11.3B).

Even more impressive if we consider that it achieved that mark with 16 films out of 844 films in theaters through 2016. That means that less than 2% of the movies were from Disney.

* Keep in mind that we are talking of a natural year gross, not only the films released in 2016 but also the 2015 films that were in theaters at the begining of the year.

TFA's grosses in January and beyond will likely make up the entire difference between 2015 and 2016's overall number. 2017 will have a rather big disadvantage to start with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stripe said:

Disney only needs 75M in four days to reach the mark. R1 will gross around 75-80M in the last 4 days of 2016. Moana will add 15M more easily.

I started tracking this after the 18th using Disney's actual figures.

I have disney at $2,916.279 through Tuesday.

So they need $83.73 the last 4 days of the year to hit 3B. An avg of $20.94M the last 4 days is what they need.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

I started tracking this after the 18th using Disney's actual figures.

I have disney at $2,916.279 through Tuesday.

So they need $83.73 the last 4 days of the year to hit 3B. An avg of $20.94M the last 4 days is what they need.

It's pretty close to a lock, now. RO alone should make close to that number, Moana another 13/14M plus 1M+ from DS. Crazy good year for Disney both financially and critically.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, miketheavenger said:

TFA's grosses in January and beyond will likely make up the entire difference between 2015 and 2016's overall number. 2017 will have a rather big disadvantage to start with.

I somewhat disagree with this given 2017 will get another $125M+ DOM from R1 plus probably another $550M+ from Episode VIII before January 1, 2018. I actually think that will pretty much even out. Now, will there be a Zooptopia? Jungle Book? Finding Dory? Moana? Doctor Strange? I'm not sure.

But, Disney has a hell of a slate in 2017 with....

Beauty and the Beast (will gross more than Jungle Book DOM)

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (????)

Thor 3 (Will match or exceed Doctor Strange DOM)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Will match or exceed Civil War DOM)

Cars 3 (Will gross nowhere near Dory DOM)

Coco (Could be a sleeper hit from Pixar)

I'm sure I'm missing a few other too. Does WDAS not have a release schedule for 2017? If so, that'll be the difference given Moana and Zootopia will combine for close to $600M DOM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I somewhat disagree with this given 2017 will get another $125M+ DOM from R1 plus probably another $550M+ from Episode VIII before January 1, 2018. I actually think that will pretty much even out. Now, will there be a Zooptopia? Jungle Book? Finding Dory? Moana? Doctor Strange? I'm not sure.

But, Disney has a hell of a slate in 2017 with....

Beauty and the Beast (will gross more than Jungle Book DOM)

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (????)

Thor 3 (Will match or exceed Doctor Strange DOM)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Will match or exceed Civil War DOM)

Cars 3 (Will gross nowhere near Dory DOM)

Coco (Could be a sleeper hit from Pixar)

I'm sure I'm missing a few other too. Does WDAS not have a release schedule for 2017? If so, that'll be the difference given Moana and Zootopia will combine for close to $600M DOM.

POTC5 is a big question mark, what if it does something laughable like $120m? back-to-back Pixar releases I can really see them go either way, too. One thing I know for sure is DM3>Cars 3. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, druv10 said:

It's pretty close to a lock, now. RO alone should make close to that number, Moana another 13/14M plus 1M+ from DS. Crazy good year for Disney both financially and critically.

Yeah, the great critical acclaim and WOM really helped Disney dominate the entire year. They were making back to back to back great movies for the entire year, putting aside the minimal misfires they had.

to be honest Disney's slate for 2017 is a bit boring. I'm tired of the POTC and Cars Franchise. The only thing I anticipate are GOTG, Beauty and The Beast, Star Wars and Coco

• Like 2