Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

"Get Out is the best horror movie ever made" remind me not to recommend people from this board to any film critic panel....

...on the other hand, it sounds kinda like something the Academy would say.

Age brings wisdom...when I was 8, I'd have told you the 5 best comedies ever made were Clue, Airplane, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, and Spaceballs...

Okay, maybe I wasn't completely off-base at 8...maybe I made better quality movie decisions then:)...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

"Get Out is the best horror movie ever made" remind me not to recommend people from this board to any film critic panel....

...on the other hand, it sounds kinda like something the Academy would say.

That sound like misquoting someone on purpose, the sentence was:

Get Out is undoubtedly the best horror movie I've ever seen

And followed by a statement that the person has not seen many of them (so yeah would not take the film critic panel job even if it was offered). As for the Academy they nominated the Sixth Sense and Black Swan for best picture and The Silence of the Lambs did win in 1991.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

TCM original is bad ass

TCM remake is also bad ass.

yeah I still probably prefer the original, but the remake is one of the few rare times that it just as, or almost just as good as the original.

I only had one "issue" with the remake, but it's a nitpick so I am not putting the movie down in anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

Anyone else find it funny the comp for Power Rangers on MOJO... is Tomorrowland? :lol:

Remember when people thought Tomorrowland would do over $200M domestic.

• Like 1

So F8 was fine. Would rank it in mid tier for the series. 5,7,6,1,8,2,3,4

It is really noticeable that The Rock and Diesel were never in the same room at the same time. Some really awkward framing in their scenes together to obscure that fact.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

As for the Academy they nominated the Sixth Sense and Black Swan for best picture

I would say those were deserved though. 

10 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

This movie you all hail as the best horror movie ever made sounds more like a movie about Racism being passed off as Horror than anything.. No wonder the younger generation liked this movie... Why am I getting this impression that today's politics played a role in this movie why the younger audience loves it so much??? How close am I with this theory??? :popcorn:

No, it's fun outside of all of that, has good characters and doesn't fall into the usual jump scare horror stuff. But I wouldn't say it's really horror either. There are only a few moments where it felt unsettling. I had a lot more fun with You're Next and it didn't come close to Cabin In The Woods or Scream for me.

Edited by somebody85

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I would say those were deserved though. 

Certainly were, they are nominating horror movie from time to time.

But I wouldn't say it's really horror either. 

I would agree with that, it has horror element,it is horror/comedy, you laugh more than you are scared I think. Is comedy element are a big strength and probably why it made so much at the BO, a bit the same for Split.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Their theme park movies have been hit or miss, Haunted Mansion is a pretty awful movie too. 

Yes, but let's face it: The enormous success of the Pirates franchise dwarfs the failures of "Mansion" and "Tomorrowland". 

• Like 1

'Fate of the Furious' Debuts with Record International and Worldwide Opening Weekend

It was close, but just by a hair Universal's The Fate of the Furious topped $100 million at the domestic box office, leading the Easter weekend charge and becoming the second 2017 release to top the century mark over its three-day opening. More importantly, on top of its North American debut, the film premiered in over 60 international markets where it brought in a record $432.3 million, resulting in a record $532.5 million worldwide debut.

OD audience demos:

The film scored an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences which were 58% male vs. 42% female. Of that audience, 50% were under the age of 25 and further demographics show the opening weekend audience was made up of 41% Caucasian moviegoers, 26% Hispanic, 19% African American and 11% Asian. This makes for the second time a film in the Fast and Furious franchise has debuted with over $100 million and there are more to come with Fast and Furious 9 planned for 2019 and a tenth installment set for a 2021 release.

Just now, SteveJaros said:

Yes, but let's face it: The enormous success of the Pirates franchise dwarfs the failures of "Mansion" and "Tomorrowland". 

Very true, has paid for a bunch of failures. Granted they have spent more money per film on that franchise than any studio ever but yeah...

Can we talk about how bad Smurf is doing? @franfar, I never thought it would bomb this bad. It may finish under $40M domestic/$150M worldwide. This would be SPA's lowest grossing domestic film (if you ignore Aardman coproductions)

• Like 1