grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Not surprised by those #'s. Kidnap has been tracking pretty closely to Detroit on Pulse so I've been thinking it may do more than most expect (granted, still not that much). I think DT will have a healthy enough OD, but will need good WOM to go beyond low 20's.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Wang update:

- Dark Tower is below Emoji and about on par with Atomic Blonde from last week. Considering the fanbase King has, that is probably not good.

So it's probably looking at a mid-teens OW from those presales because I would assume it's more front loaded than Atomic Blonde although it being hailed as a female John Wick may have made it slightly front loaded. 

For now I have Dark Tower at $15-18M 

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

This may help Annabelle explode next week.

Doubtful it will go higher than low 30's. Coming off the pretty terrible first film, and even Conjuring 2 couldn't do more than 40 and that's after how great the first was, as well as the pretty substantial marketing push.

Just now, grim22 said:

Annabelle 2 is almost double of Conjuring 2 at the same point in time. But we aren't exactly talking huge sales here. Conjuring 2 was at 7k, Annabelle 2 is 13k.

My reaction after reading the first sentence: 

:ohmygod:

My reaction after reading your whole post: 

:sadben:

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

http://www.thewrap.com/detroit-dark-tower-august-box-office/

Dark Tower - Low 20s (Sony saying 19M)

Detroit - 10-13M

Kidnap - 7-9M

Kidnap has actually gotten a pretty hefty marketing push, to my surprise. Probably could've pulled similar numbers to The Call had it not been sitting on the shelf for so long and was being released by a much better distributor.

Last night on MovieTickets, Dunkirk was at 14.9%, Emoji was at 14.4%, Atomic was at 11.5%, Girls Trip was at 10.7%, and Spidey was at 8.1%. 

Right now:

Dunkirk - 15.8%

Emoji - 14.2%

Atomic - 9.8%

Girls Trip - 8.3%

Spidey - 7.6%

That seems good for Dunkirk and bad for Emoji/Atomic/Girls. Curious to see how the Wednesday drops turn out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Last night on MovieTickets, Dunkirk was at 14.9%, Emoji was at 14.4%, Atomic was at 11.5%, Girls Trip was at 10.7%, and Spidey was at 8.1%. 

Right now:

Dunkirk - 15.8%

Emoji - 14.2%

Atomic - 9.8%

Girls Trip - 8.3%

Spidey - 7.6%

That seems good for Dunkirk and bad for Emoji/Atomic/Girls. Curious to see how the Wednesday drops turn out. 

Emoji seems like a wash...but you're right that Atomic and Girls' Trip could be coming for bigger Wed drops...which wouldn't be surprising for AB, b/c she had a pretty big Tuesday increase...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Annabelle 2 is almost double of Conjuring 2 at the same point in time. But we aren't exactly talking huge sales here. Conjuring 2 was at 7k, Annabelle 2 is 13k.

I would say that Conjuring 2 released wen many teens where stressing over exams, end of the school year etc. 

But I forget that it's rated R in the states and not 14+

So apparently this was just announced to theaters, The Nut Job 2 will start previews at ..... 3pm on Thursday. That is a ridiculous time to classify as "previews" anymore. Its basically just a Thursday opening effectively.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Doing my part when it comes to ANNABELLE: CREATION presales. Just bought my ticket for 7:25PM on the 10th.

I guess seeing the Conjuring Universe movies on preview Thursday will become a tradition, as I saw THE CONJURING 2 last year on the Thursday before opening day as well.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So apparently this was just announced to theaters, The Nut Job 2 will start previews at ..... 3pm on Thursday. That is a ridiculous time to classify as "previews" anymore. Its basically just a Thursday opening effectively.

No. Just no. 

Next thing ya know movies are gonna be like "Afternoon previews!" And start previews at 12PM....the day before release. 

How far we've come. Midnight previews. TO THIS! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So, how many theaters are gonna wanna take away showings from nicely selling movies to screen this garbage that early...it's not gonna bring in any more viewers...

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

No. Just no. 

Next thing ya know movies are gonna be like "Afternoon previews!" And start previews at 12PM....the day before release. 

How far we've come. Midnight previews. TO THIS! 

We have Sunday Previews most of the time for Kids Movies starting on Thursday in Germany.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Emoji seems like a wash...but you're right that Atomic and Girls' Trip could be coming for bigger Wed drops...which wouldn't be surprising for AB, b/c she had a pretty big Tuesday increase...

For Emoji, I meant compared to Dunkirk. Yesterday Dunkirk was 3.5% ahead of Emoji on MovieTickets in relative terms (14.9/14.4). Dunkirk ended up with a dollar gross around 7% ahead of Emoji for the day. So basically a 2x factor on dollar gross difference vs. the MovieTickets difference. 

At the moment on MovieTickets, Dunkirk is now 19% ahead (16.5/13.9) which is even more than the 11% difference from an hour ago. If that 19% difference on MovieTickets has a similar dollar gross situation as yesterday (roughly a 2x factor), then Dunkirk grosses 38% more than Emoji on Wednesday. That's a huge change from 7% difference the day before. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, how many theaters are gonna wanna take away showings from nicely selling movies to screen this garbage that early...it's not gonna bring in any more viewers...

3pm showings for NutJob2 make more sense though than 7pm or 10pm showings. 

• Like 1