grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

37 minutes ago, a2k said:

FL96T3JJH.jpg&key=16ef4a28d4cf58620ad4a7e2P

edit: this joke is so bad i wanna erase the post but will do it in a clandestine way a page or two from now.

Red Balloon was better thematically, just so you know. ;)

EDIT:::

Oh, yeah.  Quoted for posterity.  Might as well edit back in the better balloon now. :ph34r:

LATER EDIT:::

Ah, good.  You re-edited in the superior balloon, @a2k. 👍  I shall reward you by editing it into this quoted post as well. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 5

I won't say Hobbs & Shaw is DOA quite yet, as the comps have been inching up the last few days.

On the other hand... the comps have been inching up.  Put a gun to my head and I might say 5m in previews right now.  Mostly on the account that quite a few theaters in town added showtimes tonight and they'll probably get the lowest of the low hanging fruit to be plucked.  And many other theaters in town haven't expanded at all.

But with next to no PLF so far and no 3D, I can't see a very high total.  But who knows, maybe it continues to grow over the last three days.  Last week, it was pointing to 2.5m and now it's 3.4m.  So it is going up.

Gotta say though in the, "Was it worth it" category, right now it's a big fat, NOPE.

• Like 1

Furious IM’s:  

F8 98.8/10.4=9.5  

F7 147/15.8=9.3

F6 97/6.5=15   

F6 was forever ago though, and summer should make things worse as we saw for Once this weekend (though H&S is actually 7Pm start, right?)     

If it actually hit 5 I would be wondering a bit about 50M.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I won't say Hobbs & Shaw is DOA quite yet, as the comps have been inching up the last few days.

On the other hand... the comps have been inching up Put a gun to my head and I might say 5m in previews right now.  Mostly on the account that quite a few theaters in town added showtimes tonight and they'll probably get the lowest of the low hanging fruit to be plucked.  And many other theaters in town haven't expanded at all.

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Furious IM’s:  

F8 98.8/10.4=9.5  

F7 147/15.8=9.3

F6 97/6.5=15   

F6 was forever ago though, and summer should make things worse as we saw for Once this weekend (though H&S is actually 7Pm start, right?)     

Shockingly disappointing. That would leave it on track for 125 dom with a fairly good 2.75x multiplier.

Only person happy would be Tyrese.

200m F&F spin-off with Statham and DJ doing less than Meg and CI dom. OS and China especially will help out more though.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

It would be  wild if August had no $100M movies. 4*9*2.75?  I really think that’s quite unlikely, I think it’s the kind of movie where Wed+Thurs will do solid increases and the presale multiplier is fairly high — but when you’re counting on that sort of reasoning and it turns out not to be the case, that’s when the big disappointments happen 😬

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Reckon some studios wish they moved something more major to August now seeing as Hobbs and Shaw seemingly won't be making much of a dent DOM.

Even if H&S did 350M the lack of Aug movies is irresponsible imo. For 4 months we’ve been saying “XYZ won’t let that well because of upcoming competition,” and August is just sitting there empty and inviting. Basically money left of the table due to superstition.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Even if H&S did 350M the lack of Aug movies is irresponsible imo. For 4 months we’ve been saying “XYZ won’t let that well because of upcoming competition,” and August is just sitting there empty and inviting. Basically money left of the table due to superstition.

Biggest miss is Shazam. That got lost in the shuffle of the big Marvel movies - never had a chance to build buzz and open big in-between CM and EG and, of course, couldn't develop legs either. An August release, even accounting for some fatigue, coming after all the MCU movies, would still have delivered bigger numbers, IMO. 

With Hobbs & Shaw, I'm more curious to see the international numbers. I think even the main series has clearly peaked and the ninth will be under 200 domestically, so I am not altogether shocked the spin-off isn't looking huge (though I was still thinking 150-175). OS is where the franchise is clearly thriving. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Furious IM’s:  

F8 98.8/10.4=9.5  

F7 147/15.8=9.3

F6 97/6.5=15   

F6 also opened on Memorial Day Weekend.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Reckon some studios wish they moved something more major to August now seeing as Hobbs and Shaw seemingly won't be making much of a dent DOM.

Well, the studios are releasing 10 movies wide in only 8 days in August (Aug 9-Aug 16) so they completely filled the month...just not how one might have wanted...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1

Just now, filmlover said:

August (especially the second half) has always been a dump month. This year isn't looking to be any different.

Yeah, 2014's the only year I can think of with more than one hit in that month. It's usually just the first week of August where big hits are out (Rise of the Apes, GOTG, Suicide Squad).

Anyways, good news for It 2 if H&S under-performs; maybe for The Kitchen too? American Made numbers would be pretty good for that.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, 2014's the only year I can think of with more than one hit in that month. It's usually just the first week of August where big hits are out (Rise of the Apes, GOTG, Suicide Squad).

Anyways, good news for It 2 if H&S under-performs; maybe for The Kitchen too? American Made numbers would be pretty good for that.

I have no clue what to expect from The Kitchen now that it isn’t doing previews. That screams DOA to me

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have no clue what to expect from The Kitchen now that it isn’t doing previews. That screams DOA to me

damn.

Really thought it could have been good for $50-60m dom, but that seems unlikely if it's a clunker. 

Just now, TMP said:

damn.

Really thought it could have been good for $50-60m dom, but that seems unlikely if it's a clunker. 

It already has more exposure than most August releases, but this summer has been a bust for bad movies at the box office. I’m expecting 35Mish