grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They just updated it's getting the PLF screen so 3 all day and 5 by night. That's better.

H&S is still pretty undecided on the PLF out here, but one of the local Regals has just updated their Thr slate and H&S is splitting the (faux)IMAX screen with TLK.

TLK is getting a 6pm screening and H&S is getting a 9:15pm one. They don't have that IMAX screen set for the weekend, however.

Lots of other places in the region are still holding back though, possibly waiting until the last second to see how to handle this.  Others have in fact committed to TLK for their PLF screen on Thr night (though again the weekend not so much).

Just a mess all the way around, really.

• Like 1

Working on something else at the moment but H&S got added to the TrueIMAX theater in town today (including Thr night).  I had been checking every single day and it had been crickets so far.  Gonna revise the post I'm in the middle of making then.

• Like 1

In this area h and s is lukewarm sales. Mind you im in an area where august is when people are taking their vacations before september. Some might go to theatres but cottage time is the big one.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:01 PM, TwoMisfits said:

So, crazy set this weekend at 1st local (Cinemark).  Even though they never sold out a showing of TLK last weekend, they are MAINTAINING SIX screens out of 12 for this movie.  As I mentioned on the Monday thread, either that means the rumors of Disney playing hardball are true...or this theater really has nothing better...here's the set, which is not advantageous to the opener...but is totally advantageous to Disney - did I mention those terms?:)

NEW

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (1.5 - 8 showings - both on SMALLEST screens)

Dear Comrade (1 - 5 - smallest screen)

RETURNING

TLK (6 - 30 showings - 6 3d, 24 2d) - crazy it kept this many and the big screens, too 

Spidey (1 - 5 showings) - dropped a screen for the opener b/c something had to

Toys 4 (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Aladdin (.75 - 4 showings) - same as last week

GONE

Crawl, Stuber, Anabelle

I'm shocked that both Crawl and Stuber are gone and TLK keeps SIX!  That's so stupid unless it was contractually required b/c did I mention they couldn't sell out the 6 screens last weekend, and they were selling tickets to those other movies - I mean, they could have split them on TLK screens and given the evenings to each one...but no.  

There is .75 of a screen left, probably going to a few more foreign film single showings...

1st local - Cinemark - took a little longer to set...and since we have Angry Birds here, I'll note what is giving up showings Saturday...here's the set and H&S did well, here...

NEW

H&S - (2.2 - 12 showings - got both biggest screens and 1 last showing from TLK - win for this) - EDIT - GAINS 1 showing Sat - weird...

Rakshasdu/Guna 369 (1.2 - 4 showings for 1/ 1 for other - smallest screen)

RETURNING

TLK - (2.8 - `14 showings - 2 3d/12 2d) - dropped to 1 average and 2 smallest - huge cut here, so contract harshness must be up - it loses about 70% of its capacity from last weekend, not that it used it...but then again, it did use it at "prime" showings and those are slashed

OUATIH (1.6 - 8 showings) - EXACT same set as last week, down to smallest theaters again;)

Dear Comrade (.6 - 3 showings) - smallest screen - loses 1 showing Sat

Spiderman (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Toys 4 (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week - loses 1 showing Sat

GONE

Aladdin finally gets dropped - quite a run...

Weirdly, 1.6 screens are left - probably more foreign films will be booked, so they can be dropped in the wash of the next 2 weeks...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I will say that if Hobbs & Shaw makes less than The Meg last year that would be really embarrassing. Doubt that happens though.

I think it's quite possible, especially on domestic. Internationally, the F&F brand helps carry this to healthy returns, but even that isn't 100%, as I think Vin Diesel is this franchise, and we'll need to see if it performs like a F&F movie overseas, or like a lesser Rock or Statham movie. It's not heading for a strong weekend, and I don't think it's going to have great legs. They're not sharing reviews until tomorrow, and unless this film is offering something that isn't really apparent in the trailers, I think most people who want to see it have already made up their mind. 

13 hours ago, a2k said:

Only person happy would be Tyrese.

Maybe Kevin Hart agents/accountant for the next time they will enter negotiation with a studio on their next Dwayne Johnson collaboration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

NYC Local

Hobbs & Shaw (MON: 5:20pm)

13/301 (2D)
3/301
8/301
21/320 (RPX)
15/320

60/1543 = 3.88%

Hobbs & Shaw (TUES: 4pm)

15/301 (2D)
7/301

14/301

(One new show added  but inaccessible)

25/320 (RPX)
15/320

76/1543 =4.92%

OUITIH: (TUES 2:15pm)  117/1179 = 9.82%  

X-Men 6 (TUES 4pm)  103/942 = 10.93%

TLK: (TUES 4:30pm) 444/3228 = 13.75%

TOY STORY 4: (TUES 14pm) 165/2049 = 8.05%

Aladdin: (TUES: Noon) 98/1242 =7.89%

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local (Regal) is in...and they got a better deal:)...they also sold out no TLK shows last weekend, so whether allowed or not, they are dropping some screens (or at least showings from screens) from TLK...still very tight and very Disney, but here's the set...

NEW

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (3 - yes, they got 3 here - Hallelujah! - 12 showings - all unfortunately on average or small screens, so still not good)

Booksmart (returning!! .2 - 1 showing - it gets a late night showing from TLK - small screen)

RETURNING

TLK (4.6 - 24 showings - 5 3d, 19 2d) - kept biggest screeens, but lost almost 2 screens

Crawl (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Spidey (1.2 - 6 showings) - same as last week, except it gets an extra morning show instead of late night

Toys 4 (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Aladdin (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

GONE

Stuber, Endgame, Anabelle

So, Stuber is again already gone, but at least Crawl got saved...it's nice to see OUATIH actually getting some seats, since with not getting any big screens, it was looking at a very low total without the extra showings (it was only preset with 1 screen, so it added 2 full today).  Although note, of the returning movies from last week, only Crawl has survived as a non-Disney related option...and this is another 12...

2nd local (Regal) is also in...BIG win for H&S here - they get ALL prime showings, pretty much, giving up early matinees to get large evening books Friday...here's the set

NEW

H&S (3.2 - 16 showings all 2d - but they get 1 10am while they get FIVE screens for the 7pm and 10pm hour - that should be a great box office set for it) - and it DOES get largest and above average screens, so TLK loses them here, too

RETURNING

OUATIH (2 - 8 showings) - lost a screen

TLK (2.4 - 13 showings - 1 3d, 12 2d) - lost 2.2 screens and all of the biggest screens, so capacity cut at least in 1/2 here, too - also gives up late shows for earlies, but that might help

Crawl (1 - 6 showings) - SURVIVES AGAIN - HURRAY!  Same set as last week

Spiderman (1 - 5 showings) - loses 1 showing this week

Toys 4 (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week, except they give up a late for an early

ALADDIN (.4 - 2 showings) - IT ALSO STAYS!  Gets the H&S earlies...

GONE

Only Booksmart again

Weirdly, 1 screen is also open here...probably to be parceled out by need, and saved for the coming onslaught next week...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

FSS PLF Slates so far:

H&S (w/PLF surcharge):    3 out of possible 17

H&S (w/o PLF surcharge): 4 out of a possible 17

TLK:                                 0 out of a possible 17

Leaving 10 more PLF screens unaccounted for.

Thursday is almost as messed up with (for 7pm+ showings)

TLK:                                 3.5 out of a possible 17 (splitting a screen with H&S)

H&S (w/PLF surcharge):    2.5 out of a possible 17 (splitting a screen with TLK)

H&S (w/o PLF surcharge):    5 out of a possible 17 

FFH (w/o PLF surcharge):     1 out of a possible 17 (this theater has four "Giant Screens", FWIW)

Leaving 5 more PLF screens unaccounted for 7pm and later.

---

In case people care, Cinema West does not always slap a PLF surcharge when it puts movies on its "Giant Screens".  I suspect it might have something to do with the version they get from the studio.  Either way, none of their theaters are applying the PLF surcharge to H&S locally, which means no extra PLF dollars for it at those locations.

As I just said in my last post, the TrueIMAX theater in town suddenly jumped on H&S today.  Possibily in the last hour or so as it isn't even showing up on Fandango yet.  I think they had tentatively scheduled TLK through that weekend so they either yanked it and went ahead with H&S or I'm misremembering things.

Either way, I think this is a curious case of TLK not selling quite as much as some theaters hoped while at the same time H&S not making much of a case at all to get the PLF screens from its pre-sales.

So, as said: A mess all the way around.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

BTW it's also pretty obvious that when she said that Disney mandated that TLK had to get the biggest screen at theaters for three weeks, Grace Randolph had no idea what she was talking about*.  

* But I repeat myself. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW it's also pretty obvious that when she said that Disney mandated that TLK had to get the biggest screen at theaters for three weeks, Grace Randolph had no idea what she was talking about*.  

Maybe it was 2 weeks...or the theaters are losing so much money on empty seats, they just don't care (especially if Disney is getting their 65% take again:)...I know one of my locals played fast and lose with the TLJ contract near the end for the same reason...like it was okay to "steal" a showing but keep a screen...and do it on all the required screens:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

24 minutes ago, Porthos said:

She never does yet people still listen to her crazy rants

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe it was 2 weeks...or the theaters are losing so much money on empty seats, they just don't care (especially if Disney is getting their 65% take again:)...I know one of my locals played fast and lose with the TLJ contract near the end for the same reason...like it was okay to "steal" a showing but keep a screen...and do it on all the required screens:)...

Possibly.  But if I recall the initial circumstances that lead to that rumor, Grace Randolph tried to buy H&S tickets far in advance and couldn't. 

What I don't know is if she asked the theater and that's what she was told or if she just presumed that TLK was hogging screens and ran with it.

Ordinarily I presume that she would have asked around.  But, then again, this is Grace Randolph, so who knows. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Disney mandated that TLK had to get the biggest screen at theaters for three weeks,

Was it 4 weeks instead like a Star wars or Avengers ? Apparently the 3 week is now pretty much the norm for Disney instead of 2 and biggest screen would not be that surprising.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Deadline predicting 4,200 Theaters domestically with $60 To $65 M OW ..

The industry is seeing an initial [overseas] weekend in the $125M range with upside depending on who shows up.

- F8 opened internationally to $171.5M in like-for-like markets and at today’s rates

Seems pretty reasonable, down about 25-30% from F8, similar to domestic tracking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Hobbs and Shaw Thursday Night Showings Denver Metro

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

Dolby: 

7 PM – 137/217(+19)

10:15 PM – 13/217

2D: 

7 PM – 19/158(+5)

7:30 PM – 13/56(+4)

10:45 PM – 0/56

11:15 PM – 2/158

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

2D: 

7 PM – 79/159(+9)

7:30 PM – 3/52(+1)

10:15 PM – 5/159(+2)

Total from 9 theaters(29 showings): 544(+90)/4923 (11.1%)

TLK comp: 3.4M

OUATIH comp: 5.66M

The Sunday to Monday increase in tickets sold is about the same as TLK in terms of percentage. But it’s not very encouraging that it is falling behind OUATIH.

Hobbs and Shaw Thursday Night Showings Denver Metro 

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 140/217(+3)

10:15 PM – 17/217(+4)

2D:

7 PM – 22/158(+3)

7:30 PM – 13/56

10:45 PM – 2/56(+2)

11:15 PM – 2/158

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

2D:

7 PM – 85/159(+6)

7:30 PM – 6/52(+3)

10:15 PM – 5/159

Total from 9 theaters(29 showings): 629(+85)/4923 (12.8%)

TLK comp: 3.31M

OUATIH comp: 5.13M

Yikes…. If this doesn’t really pick up, then it’s looking bad. At least reviews will bring some awareness tomorrow. Also, TLK comp was actually 3.34M yesterday.. I just omitted that 3 on accident. Not that it's much of a difference anyway

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

FSS PLF Slates so far:

H&S (w/PLF surcharge):    3 out of possible 17

H&S (w/o PLF surcharge): 4 out of a possible 17

TLK:                                 0 out of a possible 17

Leaving 10 more PLF screens unaccounted for.

Thursday is almost as messed up with (for 7pm+ showings)

TLK:                                 3.5 out of a possible 17 (splitting a screen with H&S)

H&S (w/PLF surcharge):    2.5 out of a possible 17 (splitting a screen with TLK)

H&S (w/o PLF surcharge):    5 out of a possible 17 

FFH (w/o PLF surcharge):     1 out of a possible 17 (this theater has four "Giant Screens", FWIW)

Leaving 5 more PLF screens unaccounted for 7pm and later.

PLFs are now coming in for H&S after all (edit: though one more theater is going the split route on Thr night).  Cut it real late, but there you are.  Decent amount of showtimes as well (haven't done full seat checks yet).  If folks were waiting for better seats on Thr night at the good theaters in town before pulling the trigger, they don't have that excuse anymore.

Probably too late in the day for much to show up tonight, though.  But also probably means that tomorrow is make or break on this being DOA locally.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1