grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, because Metacritic takes only top critics, pretty much all movies have lower grades there.

Still, nobody cares that much about MC for movies, what really matters is RT and reception there is pretty good, the reviews give exactly what people want to hear from this to watch it, so unless this is just a fan rush sales, OW should be good.

That is not right for sure. It has 18.76 million visits last month. That is definitely not trivial. Of course RT is way more popular as its linked at many other sites. Still metacritic is definitely not trivial. 

• Like 2

Ghostbusters at 25.3M views on BO Report (adds in fandango and YT trailers).

Gucci is currently at 18M

King Richard 23.6M

Matrix 39M

Top Gun 57M

Seems fairly low for GB. But since sales have started off well and Sony seems right behind it then who knows.

Edited by Ronin46

*does a quick check*

Huh.  Depending on how the next six hours or so go, Afterlife is very likely to pass The Suicide Squad in first day sales locally (It's already at around 90% of TSS's day 1, and folks haven't gotten home from work yet).

Not sure exactly what that says but I really can't think of (m)any better comps for movies I tracked locally, as most everything else had a much more active fan base or is in a completely different genre like AQP II (which it already passed, if just barely).  

• Like 6

I think people kinda miss the point of metacritic and RT. This site are just aggregator for the reviews you find on the internet, saying that a bad metacritic doesnt matter because people dont visit metacritic, is ignoring that the top critics have their own sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

This new Ghostbusters is nothing more than wanking off 80s nostalgia. Reviews won't matter since that's the only thing people want anymore.

Hey, this is totally off base.   

They also want 90s nostalgia, 00s nostalgia, and 10s nostalgia.

NYC Local (7pm)

Eternals:  266/1753 (15.17%)

COMPS:

Joker: $10.78m
Shang-Chi: $12.32m
Black Widow: $14.7m
Birds Of Prey: $14.98m
Bond: $19.32m
The Suicide Squad: $21.48m
Venom 2: $23.55m
Dune: $28.86m

SC is the best comp because the heavy Asian population and turnout in the area in addition of course genre/MCU.  It had a very good ramp up from Monday to Thur (190-511) so let's see how well Eternals can keep pace.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not right for sure. It has 18.76 million visits last month. That is definitely not trivial. Of course RT is way more popular as its linked at many other sites. Still metacritic is definitely not trivial. 

MC also have Games and Music in that account. In my pov MC is very used to games, it's their biggest thing, not so much for movies.

Of course when i said "nobody cares" is just an overreaction, i thought it was obvious that just doesn't matter compared to RT.

But anyway, i think this topic goes too far, so that's it.

• Like 1

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is looking solid in my area for pre sales.

Cineplex

Thursday

Ultra AVX

4:15pm: 2/209 seats sold

7:15pm: 16/209 seats sold

10:15pm: 2/209 seats sold

Friday: 

Ultra AVX

1:30pm: 0/209 seats sold

4:30pm: 7/209 seats sold

7:30pm: 4/ 209 seats sold

10:30pm: 0/209 seats sold

Landmark Cinemas

Thursday

IMAX

4:00pm: 1/ 207 seats sold

7:00pm: 10/207 seats sold

10:00pm: 0/207 seats sold

Friday

IMAX

1:00pm: 0/207 seats sold

4:00pm: 0/207 seats sold

7:00pm: 2/207 seats sold

10:00pm: 0/207 seats sold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Eternals Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 62 2496 12199 20.46%

Total Seats Sold Today: 168

Comp

0.743x of Black Widow T-4 (9.81M)

1.258x of Shang-Chi T-4 (11.07M)

Eternals Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting

TOTALS 0 63 2741 12311

22.26%

Total Shows Added Today: 1

Total Seats Added Today: 112

Total Seats Sold Today: 245

Comp

0.750x of Black Widow T-3 (9.9M)

1.191x of Shang-Chi T-3 (10.48M)

I mean it's stabilized from Widow, but I'm still not fully confident in 10M+ previews here. Sorry guys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting

TOTALS 0 59 252 13241 1.90%

Comp

1.135x of The Suicide Squad T-17 (4.65M)

0.494x of Shang-Chi T-17 (4.35M)

0.574x of Venom 2 T-17 (6.66M)

0.529x of No Time to Die T-17 (3.33M)

So I don't feel I have perfect comps per se with this. The closest I can think of for Afterlife, a family-skewing PG-13 tentpole, was stuff like Jungle Cruise and Free Guy, but those didn't start presales until much closer to release and had miniscule sales on their first day for obvious reasons. But honestly...it's already on day 1 at about a third of both movies' final sales. And these comps aren't so bad I suppose.

What I'm trying to say is...nostalgia sells baby.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Eternals MTC2

Thursday:

Showtimes: 2138 (+112)

Seats Sold: 51194/46236 (+4958)

$ Sales: 702525 (+63581)

SC added around 4900 in 23 hours in my check, so Eternals is slightly behind pace but not too bad. It built up enough in early sales (currently has a 12k lead over SC at the same point) that if it can keep sort of matching SC, it'll do 9.5-10 previews. 

Friday:

Showtimes: 3871 (+75)

Seats Sold: 48492/638293 (+12172)

$ Sales: 623720 (+150402)

This is a 2-day pace. Still, I actually am pleased with this. Per @keysersoze123 SC added 6100 on Monday in ~26 hours, so its pacing higher than SC Fri. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Ghostbusters MTC2

Thursday:

Showtimes: 2047

Seats Sold: 4456/347807

$ Sales: 63369

Friday:

Showtimes: 3141

Seats Sold: 4994/538680

$ Sales: 62537

I like this start quite a bit. Don't have any great comps though. I took Bond day 1 which was around 5111 tickets sold for Thu (not including Wed), but I would expect this to have better walkups...I think? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Ghostbusters has sold a solid handful of seats near me with the catch that most of them are for (you guessed it) the IMAX/PLF formats. What does this mean for this movie (along with the overall state of box office that continues to ask the question of "what will be the first movie that does well without large screen formats")? As @Porthos said, only time will tell!

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters has sold a handful of seats with the catch that most of them are for (you guessed it) the IMAX/PLF formats. What does this mean for this movie (along with the overall state of box office that continues to ask the question of "what will be the first movie that does well without large screen formats")?

Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

It'll dominate every format. Though I wouldn't say Venom 2 was particularly PLF heavy? 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Just did another pass of Afterlife, and I don't think I'll officially track it for now.  Did come in at 199 tickets sold, which would be 111.80% of TSS (4.58m) and 71.84% of NTTD (4.54m). 

Other comps seem pretty wild (most well under 4m), but they're all either CBMs or Dune, so not worth it. 

Though, amusingly enough, Let There Be Carnage comps in at 57.18% (6.63m), which... I'm not buying.  But if someone can construct me a reason why it would act like V2, I'm willing to listen. :lol: 

Still, I'll keep an eye on it and if it looks like it might actually break out or continue to sell well, I might formally start tracking it after all. But for now, I'm trying to stick to a "possibly 6m+ bar" and this doesn't look to be qualifying.  For now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

It'll dominate every format. Though I wouldn't say Venom 2 was particularly PLF heavy? 

Wasn't it reported that 65% of Venom's opening weekend audience was in IMAX/PLF formats?

(though I was speaking more specifically about what will be the first movie that does well without any large screen formats like a Knives Out or a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Though, amusingly enough, Let There Be Carnage comps in at 57.18% (6.63m), which... I'm not buying.  But if someone can construct me a reason why it would act like V2, I'm willing to listen. :lol: 

Why not? Family action-ish comedy should have a pretty good final/day 1 as a baseline, right?