grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

20 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theater update:

JL: 307/1,791 (Up 56)

JL is 75% of Thor (translates to 92M). Filtering it down to showings before 7, it's even worse at 52% of Thor (63.8M) :gold:

:ohmygod:Probably the most accurate number/analysis on the site.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Online pre-sales are a greater % of tickets sold now than they were when BvS came out.   Every year they grow by a significant %.

It's why Fandango comps to movies from 2 years ago are kind of meaningless unless they say they're performing under.

When Fandango compared the pre-sales to WW this year, saying pacing above, they were on point.  The movie they chose for comparison was the right one.  They didn't compare it to SMHC and Thor 3 because it wasn't doing as well - and not because some has hoped because WW was the zeitgeist pick.

Looking at Fandango Pulse it was pacing along WW and lagging behind SM:HC and Thor 3 by more than 20%. 

With that I still thought it would do $100-110m just because I couldn't see the brand falling that hard...

To be fair nobody saw this opening to less than WW. Yet here we are.

Let me be amused that as JL falls, my other 2 stanned films rise - The Star has now gotten 2 extra screenings for Sunday at my local, and one is in the biggest theater size (the 12pm one - ala post Church)...this may yet become the little engine to follow along in Wonder's awesome weekend wake...

Man, if you'd have asked me last week which movie was gonna need those bonus screens, The Star would have probably been my 3rd choice out of 3, but it now effectively has 1.5 screens for Sunday (with 7 showings)...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

So, my local cleared the deck tonight and gave 6 screens to JL for 9:30pm and later...in a change, it also gave 2 screens to Wonder, so it seems that movie will even sell at night (needless to say most other movies showings ended between 8-9pm)...

What’s the typical World Wide Multiplier Of November openings for this time of the year ?

Things are looking bad but it seems only the WW multiplier can make it look good.

21 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Tele gave the last deep wang update in which jl presales were 2/3 of bvs. From same as bvs to 65% of bvs, what happened? 

21 hours ago, Orestes said:

Hmm, BvS had a surge as release got closer and JL didnt would be my guess.

Pretty much what happened I gather. I was flying during the last update, so I missed it among like a 100 posts discussing what people did or did not have for breakfast and lunch that day (the group gets really weird). The last Deep Wang update had JL just above Wonder Woman's final presales. It didn't get the Wednesday and Thursday surge. It was on par with BvS till Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 12:17 AM, CoolEric258 said:

Justice League 995 3713 26.80%
Wonder 422 1507 28.00%
Coco 124 2327 5.33%
Star Wars 2493 4330 57.58%
Fifty Shades 22 1921 1.15%

Justice League and Wonder are still doing super solid, gaining 100+ tickets each. Coco also saw a decent amount of growth. I don't know when I last looked at Star Wars, but it definitely felt there was a sizable increase, and having presales over 50% (though its schedule still isn't finalized) is very impressive. Hail Ridley! Fifty Shades is brand-spankin' new, but it's severely frontloaded at the moment (as to be expected). 18 of the tickets are for Thursday, while Friday and Saturday have two each.

Coco 244 2327 10.49%
Star Wars 2573 4330 59.42%
Fifty Shades 29 1921 1.51%

Coco and Star Wars have gained a decent amount over the past three days, while Fifty Shades has stayed relatively stagnant, save for a few more tickets sold on Friday. Ferdinand and Greatest Showman also got showtimes posted this past Thursday, but neither has sold anything yet.

• Like 2

MOANA did 3.0x the 5-day overall (248.8 Dom / 82.1 5-day).

If COCO's dom is 2.9-3.1x the 5-day, then it needs 75-85 5-day to have a shot at going over JL (assuming 230-240 dom).

MOANA's 3-day was 69% of 5-day, so with that ratio and 75-85 5-day, COCO needs a 3-day of 52-59 for a legit shot at passing JL.

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Coco 244 2327 10.49%
Star Wars 2573 4330 59.42%
Fifty Shades 29 1921 1.51%

Coco and Star Wars have gained a decent amount over the past three days, while Fifty Shades has stayed relatively stagnant, save for a few more tickets sold on Friday. Ferdinand and Greatest Showman also got showtimes posted this past Thursday, but neither has sold anything yet.

Do you have data on how Coco compares to Moana or TGD? Or is that too far back?

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Coco is selling about 1 ticket per minute on Pulse. For a movie many are expecting to cross 50M for the 5 day, I think it should be selling a lot better, but that's just me.

It's not even 9am on the w/e where people are more likely to buy tickets for movies that are are already opened. 

It was doing 3 per minute on Thur - 6 days out compared to DM3 doing 4.8 4 days out (mon) then 33pm 2 days out (Wed)

Monday should give a clearer picture.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not even 9am on the w/e where people are more likely to buy tickets for movies that are are already opened. 

It was doing 3 per minute on Thur - 6 days out compared to DM3 doing 4.8 4 days out (mon) then 33pm 2 days out (Wed)

Monday should give a clearer picture.

The trailers I've seen of the grandmother are so relatable for first and second generation immigrants (not only Hispanic) that I see wide appeal if marketing reaches those people.  Reaction from myself and my younger cousins right away was that it sounded just like our grandmother

• Like 2

Reposting here - 1st local through Thursday (with all new openers)

My 1st local is up for its full 12 screens for Wed/Thurs...it's still not a good sign for Coco...

NEW

Coco (1 - 1/2 2d, 1/2 3d - 4 total showings each day for Wed/Thur)

Lady Bird (1)

Roman Israel (1)

Returning 

JL (3 - probably Coco's best chance to get a showing to steal from - 1 1/2 3d, 1 1/2 2d)

The Star (1)

Wonder (1)

DH2 (1 - probably Coco's 2nd best chance b/c DH2 lost a lot of showings this weekend when it was scheduled for 2 screens - it effectively dropped to 1 most days)

MOE (1)

Thor (1)

Bad Mom's (1)

It's a tight, tight market thanks to 3 good weekends of release #s in a row...that emptiness from October at 12s is GONE!

Nothing dropped but Thor and DH2 lost extra screens...

On 11/17/2017 at 10:40 PM, YourMother said:

Coco

North Shore Cinema (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

11/21/17

7:00 - 20/98

7:45 - 1/68

10:00 - 0/98

10:45 - 1/68

Running 15% ahead of DH2 and 37.5% ahead of Wonder (so $34.5M-$41.25M for the OW).

Coco

North Shore Cinema (2 days before previews, 3 before release)

Mequon, WI

11/21/17

7:00 - 43/98

7:45 - 1/68

10:00 - 0/98

10:45 - 1/68

Running 152% ahead of DH2 at the same time. Translating into a $75.6M OW. Or more accurate a $75.6M five day.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1