kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

On 1/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, WittyUsername said:

The latest critic gave the movie an F-. That seems a bit exaggerated...

Dude Justice League isn't even F-

Critics that do that should lose all credibility for life. So stupid.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 8
  • Knock It Off 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, WittyUsername said:

It’s basically just female Deadpool. I wouldn’t consider that creative. 

"Creative" aesthetically/artistically -- in style, form, content, camera, editing.  Absolutely nothing in WW84 is really "creative" other than perhaps the golden armor...and even that is not even utilized in creative ways that it could be.  

14 hours ago, Macleod said:

"Creative" aesthetically/artistically -- in style, form, content, camera, editing.  Absolutely nothing in WW84 is really "creative" other than perhaps the golden armor...and even that is not even utilized in creative ways that it could be.  

He was talking about Birds of Prey. 

Would've been really fascinating to track this under normal circumstances. More than the kind of performance I expected after those earlier reactions and reviews. Now, I feel like it could've gone below $600 mil WW ($250 mil DOM, $350 mil OS feels like a very likely scenario) but impossible to say at this point I guess.

Edited by lorddemaxus

I finally saw this (in a completely empty cinema). It actually wasn't terrible (I appreciated that it was probably the most batshit crazy mainstream comic book movie since Batman Returns) but I can understand the critical and fan reception. One thing that really stuck out to me is why they went to all the trouble of making it a period piece but then created some weird alternate reality that didn't feel like the real 80s at all. It made sense in Watchmen, but here it just seemed like a missed opportunity to comment on the real politics and pop culture of the time. As many have pointed out, they didn't even listen to 80s music in the film! And that's without even getting into the motivations of the main characters, especially the villains, which made no sense at all. The movie was just full of strange choices all around.

• Like 2

So are the UK and Canada the only places outside the US where this has been released on VOD so far? Is everyone else that still has cinemas closed and wasn't able to release in December (Germany etc) really waiting it out until March/April if not later?

13 hours ago, antovolk said:

So are the UK and Canada the only places outside the US where this has been released on VOD so far? Is everyone else that still has cinemas closed and wasn't able to release in December (Germany etc) really waiting it out until March/April if not later?

I think it seems that way! WB really need to sort their plans out for international release in Europe. 

13th consecutive day at #1 here in the UK for WW84, still rent only, at £15.99. Disc release on 22nd March. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

https://deadline.com/2021/01/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-streaming-win-christmas-soul-nielsen-1234683058/

And there we have it. 

Blew everything else out of the water, as I expected. Excellent news. 

Now if the movie were actually any good....imagine the numbers?  I and many others would have probably looked at it a few more times...rather than just once.  And runtimes are a factor here, as they mention.  But...of course impressive, based on HBOMax's lower subscriber numbers then...and still.  

More surprising is that THE OFFICE still remains so huge!!  #3  😂 

Edited by Macleod

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Blew everything else out of the water, as I expected. Excellent news. 

Did it ?

2.252 billions minutes for a 155 minutes movie is about 14.5 millions "views"

1.667 billions minutes of Soul for a 107 minutes movies is about 15.58 millions "views"

Fairly close. Using minutes could be a nice ways to compare tv series, specially sitcoms between each other, but between movies would be arguably a bit of a strange ways.

In the context of needing to gain viewer at a much higher price point to do those figure, it can be seen has the most impressive performance, not sure about blowing it out of the water.

In 2020, to give some scale:

The office: 57.1 billion

Ozark: 30.4 billion

Tiger King: 15.6 billion (43 millions views of the full series equivalent)

Frozen 2: 14.9 billion (144 millions views)

Moana: 10.5 billion

Onward: 8.3 billion

Hamilton: 6.1 billion (38 millions views)

Would be interesting to seem how frontloaded high profile movie end up being on those platform. Outside of rewatchable sitcom, I imagine kids rewatching the same movies all the time type of title will dominated those list big time.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Did it ?

2.252 billions minutes for a 155 minutes movie is about 14.5 millions "views"

1.667 billions minutes of Soul for a 107 minutes movies is about 15.58 millions "views"

Fairly close. Using minutes could be a nice ways to compare tv series, specially sitcoms between each other, but between movies would be arguably a bit of a strange ways.

In the context of needing to gain viewer at a much higher price point to do those figure, it can be seen has the most impressive performance, not sure about blowing it out of the water.

I guess there are always qualifiers when a DCEU movie succeeds at something. But WW84 was also seen in movie theaters by an additional 1.8 to 2 million seeing it in theaters. And as someone mentioned, Disney+ has about 10 million more subs than HBOMAX. So blow I agree with Krissykins. 

Just wondering whether anyone thinks that ET is the highest grossing movie of all time, since it was in less theaters and ticket prices were lower when it was released? 

This outcome was predicted on 12/30. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wonder-woman-1984-shows-promise-for-hbo-max-audience-survey-finds

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • ...wtf 1

22 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I guess there are always qualifiers when a DCEU movie succeeds at something. But WW84 was also seen in movie theaters by an additional 1.8 to 2 million seeing it in theaters. And as someone mentioned, Disney+ has about 10 million more subs than HBOMAX. So blow I agree with Krissykins. 

I am not sure I follow you, it is you that put qualifier (HBOMAX has less subs, movie was available in theater, etc....) to say that it blew everything out of water despite being less seen on streaming.

Yes there is always qualifiers to everything and create an argument for being the most impressive numbers here despite the smaller views, but the did it blew everything out of water despite being lower is a legit question and we can add qualifiers to claim that case.

I really don´t get why compare WW84 with Soul, they´re really both huge movies.

I mean, Soul have the benefit to get released on a huge platform and being exclusively on streaming, but it´s also an animated original movie with just 90 minutes runtime (excluding credits), and still get 1.7B minutes just on 3 days.

An then WW84 get a theatrical release and it´s available on a much smaller platform which doesn´t help, but at the same time benefit from being a superhero movie and a sequel to one of the most beloved movies of the past decade, and also have +140 minutes without credits, generating huge 2.3B minutes also on just 3 days.

So to me they´re both huge afterall, and pretty much in the same way, i bet both WB and Disney are extremely satisfied. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

on 3 days.

7 days I think

December 21 to 27.

Edit: 21 to 27 is the range calculated but movies in question released only on the 25, so your right about the 3 days.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

So to me they´re both huge afterall,

I am a bit curious how to you judge that (what would have been small), for example now that the timeframe is more than twice of what you thought, does that put them from huge to good, mediocre, bad ?

Edited by Barnack