kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Wasn’t the previous post about how poorly it was doing in Taiwan because Soul was about to pass it in dailies? All over the place in this thread. Honestly, I don’t get how a box office “guru” would categorize a movie that has done respectable numbers at the box office with 60% of theaters closed in the US- which by the way, was not the case when Tenet was released as having terrible box office numbers. What was the expectation? If they were so rosey, then all studios should go ahead and release their movies. Practically all of Europe is closed and many other countries are following social distancing measures- including some Asian counties. This really isn’t that hard. Movie is number one SVOD after a week of release and yet because of subjective RT scores, it’s a failure. Man,  please! 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Moderation

@Ms Lady Hawk please calm down. We understand you are frustrated that people are being too harsh over a movie you love. And sure, Charlie is being a touch abrasive. But your behavior here (and in the past few days) is beyond ridiculous and beyond tiring. Trying to paint other people as haters solely because they aren't being extra nice and praising WW1984 and/or its box office performance isn't making things better, nor does it strengthen your arguments. Rather you're acting extremely childish and it seems you're just here to start flame wars and get into fights with others rather than actually argue against something. You're an adult, so act like on.

And just as a reminder that you don't have to read what dissenters are saying. You can put users who aren't being nice to your children's movie onto your Ignore list. It's certainly a better way than throwing a hissy fit against Charlie or WandaLegion.

Take part in this kind of behavior again you and will recieve warning points and possibly a threadban.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

Moderation

@Ms Lady Hawk please calm down. We understand you are frustrated that people are being too harsh over a movie you love. And sure, Charlie is being a touch abrasive. But your behavior here (and in the past few days) is beyond ridiculous and beyond tiring. Trying to paint other people as haters solely because they aren't being extra nice and praising WW1984 and/or its box office performance isn't making things better, nor does it strengthen your arguments. Rather you're acting extremely childish and it seems you're just here to start flame wars and get into fights with others rather than actually argue against something. You're an adult, so act like on.

And just as a reminder that you don't have to read what dissenters are saying. You can put users who aren't being nice to your children's movie onto your Ignore list. It's certainly a better way than throwing a hissy fit against Charlie or WandaLegion.

Take part in this kind of behavior again you and will recieve warning points and possibly a threadban.

Sure enough, I will stop going back and forth as you’ve requested. However, please know that the negativity was not started by me on this thread. In any event, Happy New Year! 

• Like 5

Seems I couldn’t resist, alas.

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I am not the one spinning numbers.

Yes, you are. Well, really more like accepting and spreading some from Luiz.

I have been calling out those spinning numbers negatively.

For the numbers to be negative is not spinning numbers negatively.

To suggest that the world is back to normal is lunacy.

It has only been suggested that it’s back to normal in some parts of the world, which is very clearly correct.

Edit: I responded to the quote notification before I saw the mod post. For the sake of everyone reading this thread I’ll just quit it with this back and forth now, for seriouslies.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

Saw the edited post, but know @WandaLegion and everybody else you are not off the hook either

Yeah, I could tell as I was doing it. In order to avoid such incidents moving forward, it is probably wise

4 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

Ignore one another or face my wrath 

To take this advice literally.

• Haha 1

Maybe you’re right, cdsacken! Interested in why you think that though? HBOMAX has good content. However, I can see your point in that it is more expensive than the others. They probably need to do something about that, if they lose subscriptions.

Disney and Netflix share a different purpose and it makes sense for my to keep disney for my daughter (even though I like it more!)

Not a chance on earth I ever do Netflix and HBOmax.

I hope HBO successful I just wish AT&T and Warner Bros weren't in charge of it they're horrible at management.

Edited by cdsacken

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TBH I don't get it.

TENET which did really well at box office, people make it up as a Disaster while WW84 which has done awfully save Taiwan & ANZ, is spun as a success.

Maybe it's b/c both were successes under 2020 pandemic conditions:)...they both did exactly what WB wanted them to do in their own ways:)...

As the age old question goes - why choose?  Both can be winners:)...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The drama in this thread, I love it. I wish it got crazier before it got stopped! Drama is the only entertainment I get out this place now...a tragic beauty.

I peeped a couple pages, but the back and forth is not that bad? Not as bad as it used to be, LOL. The shit we used to get into back in the day...iconic!

You all will never be as iconic as me though. ❤️

@Ms Lady Hawk Thank you for fighting the good fight! I am sad you got a large post while the other one got like a few lines. I wish it were equal, to be honest, so much for equality! Just enjoy some drinks and the fact we got this movie during such a crazy pandemic! Feliz Año Nuevo, love. ❤️

To all my fellow Wondy stans or DC stans, Feliz Año Nuevo❤️

Edited by Claire of Themyscira
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I'm curious to see in 5-10 (and beyond) years what this movie's rep will be. I say that because I revisited Batman Returns over Xmas and noticing people also have that on their holiday rotations, generally it's rep is rather solid now. But I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't the case back in 1992. Highly anticipated sequel to a super popular superhero film that even casuals outside of the spandex faithful ate up (sound familiar?), and the reception was mixed, at best. Considerably grossed less than Batman '89. General consensus was it wasn't as good as Batman '89, and alot of folks (especially angry parents) were offended by the movie's sexual overtones/violence/dark tone in what essentially was a toy commercial aimed at a kiddie demo. In fact notoriously McDonalds had a Happy Meal toy tie-in which got squashed as a result of complaints. Anyway this was a major reason why Tim Burton didn't come back for the 3rd film, which aimed for a completely different tone that (1) meant to be "kid-friendly" and (2) make the toy companies less anxious. 

Heck I'm old enough to remember when (for a coffee break) Batman Forever was considered better than BR. True story. But time passed (Batman & Robin did BF no favors for posterity) and BR's rep grew over time. Partially because alot of the kids (which parents helicopter-worried about) grew up and liked it for it's own merits. Indeed I would argue that it benefits as something unique in that superhero cinema spectrum (guilty of being homogenized sometimes) with prime young Burton given creative carte blanche (for better or worse) to get his freak on. 

I'm not saying WW84 will share the same fate or that it's necessarily on par with BR. I haven't even seen it yet. But we have to keep such things in perspective, not be blinded by being in the passionate moment of time like inside the eye of a storm. Kids today might carry this with them years from now. I mean look at the Star Wars franchise where you have people who grew up with those despised Prequels in the early 2000s (more or less) go to bat for them now as grown-ups, especially Revenge of the Sith. (Them and the Sam Raimi-era Spider-Man movies from that same era are evergreen meme generators.)

• Like 4

Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman 1984 did an estimated $22.5M in its first week. Eeesh. Now these numbers do not come from Warners as they’re not reporting until Sunday, rather box office sources with their ears to the ground.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/wonder-woman-1984-news-of-the-world-first-week-box-office-christmas-new-years-eve-1234663866/

• Like 3