kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

I’m just going to point out that the movie is back down to 60%, but the latest review is from a certain website that I’ve already established I don’t think should be on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that it makes a difference. Just thought I’d point that out before anyone else. 

• Like 1

I don’t think they should be on RT either, but the nice thing about averaging like 400 movies is that you get a couple that probably shouldn’t be there in either direction, and quite a few hundred that are basically good faith not-a-political-gimmick reviews of the movie, and it all blends together into the average.    

The basic pattern of this movie’s reviews are the same as they’ve been for quite some time though:

WB was doing mostly digital screenings, and gave screeners to a very friendly group of critics to be able to market with “certified fresh”

The first 100 reviews were 87% fresh

the next 254 reviews have been literally exactly 50/50  

starting with a gap of 74 pos-neg and getting 50% thereafter, a movie will dip below 59.5% around the 390th review 

Every DCEU movie except MOS and SS has gotten more than 390 total reviews   

All points to one inevitable conclusion.   

Of course, there’s not really any objective significance to 59 vs 60, and reviews aren’t super important for one’s own enjoyment of a film or for its success in theaters/MAX. It’s mostly a historical piece of trivia as, afaik, the first certified fresh movie that will dip rotten.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m just going to point out that the movie is back down to 60%, but the latest review is from a certain website that I’ve already established I don’t think should be on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that it makes a difference. Just thought I’d point that out before anyone else. 

Something called Bitch media (less than 100 review on RT) from Rebecca Long (exactly 2 review on RT both DC movies) is classed has a Top Critic on RT for that movie, the standard seem to be impressively low.

Some review I would not say are not out of place to be made and have certainly their place, but maybe not for a movie critic RT ways

https://www.mediaversityreviews.com/film-reviews/2021/1/2/wonder-woman-1984

That read like some old video game review (that had score for sound, graphic, etc...) but with gender, race, bonus for LGBTQ to give the score.

This can be nice in a database way for movie slate, but looking at individual movie that way and giving some RT score recommandation using metrics like that sound ridiculous, it sound more like those Bechdel test ranking of the past than a movie review to put there.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

On 1/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, Napoleon said:

Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman 1984 did an estimated $22.5M in its first week. Eeesh. Now these numbers do not come from Warners as they’re not reporting until Sunday, rather box office sources with their ears to the ground.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/wonder-woman-1984-news-of-the-world-first-week-box-office-christmas-new-years-eve-1234663866/

So with no competition on a Holiday weekend WW dropped 67%

https://deadline.com/2021/01/wonder-woman-1984-new-year-2021-weekend-box-office-1234664103/

Oofta.    

I thought MAX+bad WOM would lead to a bad drop, but that’s a pretty legendary PTA drop for a New year’s weekend on this calendar.   

WB really screwed this movie with this Xmas hybrid release, and then they went and tried to screw their next 17 before even seeing how it went. I guess the silver lining for them is that they can still try to go back on some of those :hahaha:

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Oofta.    

I thought MAX+bad WOM would lead to a bad drop, but that’s a pretty legendary PTA drop for a New year’s weekend on this calendar.   

WB really screwed this movie with this Xmas hybrid release, and then they went and tried to screw their next 17 before even seeing how it went. I guess the silver lining for them is that they can still try to go back on some of those :hahaha:

Yeah, it sure looks like a pretty big mess. 

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

The guy on Deadline has been desperately trying to hype up cinemas for the last couple of months. He's talking about the HBO app glitching on Roku like it's Cyberpunk.

Maybe what he wrote was for his boss instead of us so he could keep his job.

33 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Oofta.    

It seems like the only one of their 2021 movies where it might be worth reconsidering their strategy for is Matrix 4. 

59 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

So with no competition on a Holiday weekend WW dropped 67%

I imagine when Christmas day occur (monday-tuesday, etc...) is an important variable.

First weekend had a lot of 25th being a friday boost ? or it hurt it ?

Last time Christmas fall on a friday, second weekend holdover were ridiculously good:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2010/01/01

Seem to be the case this year as well (lot of +, worst case -25%), hard to point out an explanation outside being available on HD at home.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

NMb9.gif             

Sorry, I love this gif too much.

That drop is awful, the movie is having terrible reviews and word of mouth, people who think this is a success by any metrics just because it had some DC fanboys enthusiast enough to go see it in theatres on the first weekend are totally delusional.

It is having some good performances overseas in the anglo-sphere (Aus, NZ) just like the first one. 

Let's wait for the HBO numbers for further analysis. 

Right now, it seems at a certain late point in Dec, HBO Max was at 17M US-only subscribers...

For comparison, the article states that for US-only subscribers, Amazon Prime has 50M (gained 7M in 2020), Netflix is ?? (but gained 5M in 2020), Disney Plus is 37M (gained 13M for 2020), Hulu is about 35M (gained 8M in 2020), and Apple TV is 8M (gaining only 4M in 2020)...

Depending on if these numbers estimated an end of year growth or just took the actuals by a certain date, they may go up slightly, especially D+ and HBO Max, since they had the 2 big releases...https://www.fastcompany.com/90590593/netflix-maintains-its-lead-over-streaming-rivals-as-americans-add-disney-hbo-max

PS - If anyone has the WSJ access, it would be great to see if that's exactly where this author swiped all the numbers b/c I'd trust them more:)...they reference the WSJ analysis, but I won't pay for that:)...

EDIT: Reposting from the streaming board...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Compared to Tenet, this is a disastrous performance for WW84

It's a new COVID peak compared to Tenet's time of release (and also, Tenet was not simultaneously available on streaming).

I feel like most people who were watching this in theatres watched it on opening weekend. Anyways, theatrical BO is not even the biggest game for AT&T when it comes to WW84. It's those HBO Max subscriber numbers.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3