Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Stuck up how?

Yes the dominate other studios like Fifty Shades of Disney but they never gloat about it. :sparta:

They put so many restrictions on movie theatres, their representatives are horrible to deal with

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Did Disney make Spider-Man: Homecoming or any of the MCU films?

Spiderman Home Coming was a Sony Production done in cooperation with Marvel Studios. Basically the deal is that Disney can use Spidey in the MCU films and Sony can use some MCU characters in their Spidey films.

Marvel Studios is branch of the Disney Company,but one with a great deal of autonomy because the deal that brought Marvle to Disney was a merger, not an outright acquisition. The terms of the Merger legally guaranted Marvel a great dead of autonomy.

DC Studios,on the other hand, are out and out owned by Warners,and only have the amount of  automony that Warners chooses to give them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Collecting box office mojo on thousand of sequels and see the percentage that grew versus declining is a lot of work and not something that can just be felt by looking at 50 of them.

It is a bit useless to bring examples for a question like this (except if it is like 500 of them)

https://contently.com/strategist/2016/04/18/sequel-paradox-11-charts/

These, however, are averages, skewed by a few exceptions. When you look at the median, we find that typical sequels, including remakes, make less money in theaters than the originals.

page2.jpg

It’s important to note that even though sequels usually make less money than their predecessors, they still make a lot more money than the average movie.

page8.jpg

I have read some studies of sequels box office in the past (calculating the impact of the year's break between movies and so on) and I do not remember one that didn't had a sequel doing less than the previous entry more than 50% of the time.

I said right off the bat that films that don't blow up in the first film, in the past, were known to do much better or at least have an improvement in the second film.  The issue now is that there is really no room to grow anymore.  People don't discover a moderate hit on HV naymore.  Gone are the days where we got a Lethal Weapon or Bad Boys or Terminator or First Blood.  

Your problem Barnack is you use charts and graphs and you think that tells the whole story.  Sometimes there's more to the story than just numbers.  You should try being not so literal at times and just look at the films I've mentioned.  They are perfect examples.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, the beast said:

I think its a 50/50 chance tbh

There's a solid chance IT beats every comic book film that isn't GOTG2 or WW and places at #4 for the year, depending on how Ragnorak and Justice League fair.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

They put so many restrictions on movie theatres, their representatives are horrible to deal with

Well tbh, I stan for Disney for fandom reasons.

I like their approach to Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, animation, etc.

I'll criticize Disney for being dicks toward theaters and copyright disputers but I still want Disney to succeed due to fandom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh shit, BOTS has a 25M budget. This is probably going down as a loss for Searchlight.

Problems are is that Emma Stone is too attractive to play Billie Jean King(who looks like a man in real-life), and silent marketing I didn't hear about this film until earlier in the year and it sounded just not that great minus the two leads and I think Emma Stone is hot. But that's it.

3 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Problems are is that Emma Stone is too attractive to play Billie Jean King(who looks like a man in real-life), and silent marketing I didn't hear about this film until earlier in the year and it sounded just not that great minus the two leads and I think Emma Stone is hot. But that's it.

No one is too hot to play anyone.  They're actors, it's their job to make you believe they are who they are playing.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

They want the movie to make money. It's not about being realistic.

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No one is too hot to play anyone.  They're actors, it's their job to make you believe they are who they are playing.  

I know that. But that's just an opinion of mine. But I think it was silently pushed by Fox, maybe the holidays would've been better for it. Release on Thanksgiving give it a small-wide Christmas release, and then boost it in early January. That's just also my opinion. 

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Spiderman Home Coming was a Sony Production done in cooperation with Marvel Studios. Basically the deal is that Disney can use Spidey in the MCU films and Sony can use some MCU characters in their Spidey films.

Marvel Studios is branch of the Disney Company,but one with a great deal of autonomy because the deal that brought Marvle to Disney was a merger, not an outright acquisition. The terms of the Merger legally guaranted Marvel a great dead of autonomy.

DC Studios,on the other hand, are out and out owned by Warners,and only have the amount of  automony that Warners chooses to give them.

SM:HC was an MCU & Kevin Feige production that Sony paid for and distributed.   B)

Marvel/Disney in terms of B.O. got a reduction or elimination of the $35m fee they pay Sony for every SM movie that was part of the deal for getting 100% of the merch ($$$$$) after SM hit certain milestones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I just don't think there was that much demand for the movie in general. Every year or so an awards style film breaks out, but most do pretty modestly at the box office and the breakouts are typically helped by tons of awards chatter. That is how SLP broke out. This one probably won't get that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I said right off the bat that films that don't blow up in the first film, in the past, were known to do much better or at least have an improvement in the second film.  The issue now is that there is really no room to grow anymore.  People don't discover a moderate hit on HV naymore.  Gone are the days where we got a Lethal Weapon or Bad Boys or Terminator or First Blood.

Trying to think of the last example of that and I wanna say Batman Begins? And even that was still a blockbuster ($205M).

Emma Stone as Billie Jean King is not even in the Top 20 of biopic attractiveness upgrades, I doubt it's even a minor factor in the movie under performing. When Emma briefly couldn't star in it, they cast Brie Larson. Holly Hunter played her in a TV movie ( and really, saying a woman looks like a man? Ugh). It's not unusual for Hollywood to want to paint a pretty picture. Have you seen the real JM Barrie compared to Johnny Depp circa 2004? LOL

BOTS probably flopped because the reviews aren't so good that they can overcome it being a tennis movie (and about a story that's over 40 years old, at that). The tennis movie has a marginally better box office track record than the chess movie, but the history with both genres is pretty dire, frankly.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2