DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

29 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

I keep hearing this nonsense over and over again! You people aren't good at predicting stuff! Otherwise most of you would be abke to predict, that first JL movie would be put in danger to gross less than 100m in its openning weekend! I'd say its too early to tell anything about WW sequel and especially its marketing campaign! We don't know what patty Jenkins and the team will unleash in a year time, so stop acting like you know what future holds! For all we know they can announce Charlize Theron as the villain in WW sequel and make huge bank from it, considering Charlize Theron won her oscar working with Jenkins! Announcing her returning to work with Jenkins for something as big as WW will create enormous buzz, comparable to the one TDK created!...

tumblr_nphknoczQy1rgvfxho4_400.gif

• ...wtf 1

I think Infinity Wars benefits from the fact as it seems to be the big huge build up of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Film after the film is building up to Infinity wars really.

So Personally I think people who are even casual fans of Marvel will be interested.

So unlike Justice League, it does not seem like a totally pointless film or just a random mash-up of characters.

Plus I think the Guardians meeting the Avengers will grab a lot of attention from people as well. Frankly adding in Benedict Cumberbatch will ensure a very strong gross from China lol.

However, I am thinking about Civil War to Ultron Range for now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Hmmmmmm.... civil war seems to have done less than Iron Man 3 and Justice League  is doing less than WW. Your argument seems pretty weak

Civil War didn’t make more because it was not very kid friendly. I personally didn’t take my 5 year old because she would have been devastated watching Cap and Tony destroy each other. It was a very dark movie for the most part. I’m expecting IW to be dark as well but there will also be actual villains for the heroes to fight against with Thanos and the Black Order. This will also be the first time we see Black Panther and Spider-Man fighting alongside the Avengers. Not to mention the GOTG joining up. Believe it or not a lot of the GA doesn’t know that the GOTG and Avengers are in the same universe. I showed my wife the IW leaked footage and she was confused as to why the Guardians and Thor were together (I take the blame for that. She should have known better!) 

So yeah. IW is doing 500M DOM no problem. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Civil War didn’t make more because it was not very kid friendly. I personally didn’t take my 5 year old because she would have been devastated watching Cap and Tony destroy each other. It was a very dark movie for the most part. I’m expecting IW to be dark as well but there will also be actual villains for the heroes to fight against with Thanos and the Black Order. This will also be the first time we see Black Panther and Spider-Man fighting alongside the Avengers. Not to mention the GOTG joining up. Believe it or not a lot of the GA doesn’t know that the GOTG and Avengers are in the same universe. I showed my wife the IW leaked footage and she was confused as to why the Guardians and Thor were together (I take the blame for that. She should have known better!) 

Agreed. BvS wasn’t very family friendly for the same reason.

9 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Look, there's no way that a $95m opening DOM is 'abysmal' for any movie - JL, Star Wars, anything. Objectively, it's a good opening. Now, is it disappointing given how much the studio wanted to make? Sure, maybe. 

But save "abysmal" for big budget movies that truly bomb, like I don't know, "Mars Needs Moms".

As for BvS, few things make less sense than dissing its legs. Would it make you feel better if it finished at $330m DOM after starting at $100m not $166m? $330m is $330m, whether earned all in one week (no legs) or spread out over 15 weeks. 

:hahaha:

• Like 1

These numbers are nearly disastrous. The fact that it might not beat POTC 5 worldwide shows the strength of that franchise and the collapse of this one. Honestly they should just do stand alone movies for a while like Aquaman (Still excited for it), The Flash, WW 2. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Look, there's no way that a $95m opening DOM is 'abysmal' for any movie - JL, Star Wars, anything. Objectively, it's a good opening. Now, is it disappointing given how much the studio wanted to make? Sure, maybe. 

But save "abysmal" for big budget movies that truly bomb, like I don't know, "Mars Needs Moms".

As for BvS, few things make less sense than dissing its legs. Would it make you feel better if it finished at $330m DOM after starting at $100m not $166m? $330m is $330m, whether earned all in one week (no legs) or spread out over 15 weeks. 

Really? So if the Last Jedi opened to $95M you'd consider that a good opening? GTFO

• Like 2

If I had told people in December '16 that DC would have both the highest and potentially lowest grossing live action superhero tentpoles of 2017 domestically, and that the highest would be Wonder Woman - which, btw, had an almost 4x multiplier from an opening weekend over 100M - and the (potential) lowest Justice League, nobody would even come close to believing me and they would all just write me off as a lunatic.

Furthermore, if I told people that JL would open under Thor: Ragnarok, I would be seen as BKB 2.0. If I told people that JL would open under It, an R-rated horror movie from September, people would think of me as a comedian trying waaaaayyyyyyyy too hard. And if I told people that it would open under 100M..... I think no one would be able to describe what they thought of me. I would probably get the eternal ban hammer from the website too.

Yet here we are. After the Transformers 5 implosion, WW's insane multiplier, Wolf Warrior 2 putting the world on notice for China's power, the epic breakout of Get Out and It making absolute history, I thought 2017 wouldn't be able to bring more bombshells (whatever TLJ made wouldn't really be surprising). I was dead wrong. In a sane world, JL would be making north of 150M OW at the very least - won't even get to that number until its 2nd weekend. Madness.

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Outside of Star Wars is there anything upcoming that can oust Beauty and the Beast from the #1 opening of the year ($174.8 million?) Star Wars will beat that which still means Disney has the top 2 biggest openers of the year.

Correction: the top 3 biggest openers of the year, as #1 will be The Last Jedi, #2 BATB and #3 GOTG Vol. 2.

5 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

For me I just couldn’t whole heartedly recommend it to friends who weren’t clued in to the MCU cause I figured they’d be confused as hell. (My Dad had only seen The Avengers and Iron Man was suuuuuper confused) 

Justice League is paying the price for BvS and SS being dreadful and WB inexplicably not making Wonder Woman the center of all promotional materials post-July. Add in a well-received MCU threequel on pace for $310 million+ DOM and you get sub-$275 million DOM. I have a hard time believing it will finish below $240 million DOM, though. The smaller OW and Coco as the sole opener should give it enough breathing room for a sub-50% drop next weekend. 

Wonder is doing fantastic. A near-$30 million OW and an A+ CinemaScore right before Thanksgiving/Christmas should help it leg its way to $100 million+ DOM. It's nice to see a PG-rated, live-action family comedy or drama succeeding. They don't make enough of them anymore and I hope Paddington 2 also reaches $75 million+ DOM come January/February. 

Thor 3 held okay, but with JL possibly missing $90 million OW, it should have done closer to $23-24 million IMO. $20-21 million is what everyone predicted when a $130-170 million OW was expected. Still, it will handily surpass the ticket sales of Thor 1 & 2 and come close to SM:H DOM. 

Murder on the Orient Express did fine. It should be able to reach $85-95 million DOM with the Thanksgiving boost, adult dramas not dropping as much in the post-Thanksgiving frame and the 'free' weekend before SW8 where pretty much any somewhat well-received holdover should drop 30% or less. 

Daddy's Home 2 should be fine. With the Christmas theme, I think it'll display longevity and make its way steadily to $90-100 million DOM. 

The Star did well. $9 million on a low budget for animation is fine, especially since it should get at least a 4x.

Bad Moms Christmas is holding well. $75-80 million DOM is solid for a comedy sequel, especially given the performance of Neighbors 2, Horrible Bosses 2, etc. 

Lady Bird should keep building momentum. It might be one of those films that steadily makes $2-4 million every weekend from December on, resulting in $60-75 million DOM. 

Overall, November 2017 looks to be fairly well-rounded with four examples of low to mid budget live-action films doing well. 

Spoiler
  1. Thor - Ragnorak: $320 million 
  2. Justice League: $255 million
  3. Coco: $210 million 
  4. Wonder: $110 million 
  5. Daddy's Home 2: $95 million 
  6. Murder on the Orient Express: $90 million
  7. A Bad Moms Christmas: $80 million
  8. Lady Bird: $60 million 
  9. The Star: $50 million 
  10. Darkest Hour: $35 million 
  11. Call Me By Your Name: $20 million 
  12. Roman Israel, Esq.: $5 million 

• Like 4

I completely agree that Black Panther is going to be huge. When the trailer came out, people who don’t even watch comic book movies were posting that they are excited about seeing it. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it well over box office of 350.

With that said, I am very disappointed in JL. I enjoyed the movie, but the DCEU is lacking in good will after a string of mediocre movies, led by BvS, although the Limited Ediiton was much better. It is going to take more than WW to fix their problems.

This weekend, JL did hurt Thor 3 a lot, but Thor has already made tons of money and is headed to 300+. Thor 3 hurt JL much more than WB probably thought.