CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

6 hours ago, Lor San Tele said:

How was it for your two daughters?

my 6 year old (she is almost 7) did really well besides the typically asking questions. But she watched the whole thing and did not ask "is it almost over" or "Can we leave"

My 5 year old watched it pretty well, but had some trouble staying still, and at the 1.5 hour mark or so asked if it was almost over. She had to sit in my lap the last 30 min or (and did fine once she was in my lap.).

Only 2 parts were scary to them, both involved Rey. The were audiblely telling Rey "don't go in"... lol.  My 6 year old also said out loud during the hyperdrive scene "that's gotta hurt"... she got some laughs. 

• Like 9

why do people think they can counter program against Star Wars???? I mean holy Ferdibomb. Kids like starwars. My 5 and 6 year old girls were fine with TLJ content wise and really enjoyed it. I actually asked them if they wanted to go to Star Wars or Ferdinand and they chose TLJ. 

The only demographic I think makes sense to do some counter programming would be females 30+ (easily Star Wars worst demographic). That is why I thought Sisters was good counterprogramming against TFA back in 2015. 

• Like 1

Same multi as Alvin gets Ferdinand to 80M.  I think it could get to 85M though since it’s more well received and it’s not a sequel.  If it has a similar overseas share to Rio (70.4%), then it gets to 289M WW, which would be 2.6x its budget not counting DVD sales

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Yeah imagine if there was no TFA, then everyone is saying TLJ wow biggest opening ever! But suddenly because our own franchise film before set a new bar it’s like “yeah not bad for TLJ, all things considered.” All... things... considered?! Lol what do you have to consider?? I guess every other movie in history is a flop if TLJ’s weekend was “pretty good” :P 

I heard the range 180-230 or 190-225 thrown out a lot as ranges so to land at the very top of the range is awesome. I’m not even convinced that TLJ lost 10% of its audience from TFA. Maybe? I mean what’s the usual 3D upcharge? My market is $3, which is way more than the 50 cent average ticket price increase and with 17% fewer 3D tickets sold its honestly about a wash. If you took 17% of the tickets and added $3 to them you’d have a lot more money and probably quite a bit closer to $248M.

Sat next to a group of 3 guys who had all seen TLJ Thursday night, speaking of repeat viewings. I don’t really agree (I don’t disagree, just that I don’t know either way) that die hards like myself will see TLJ less than TFA. Maybe? Maybe not. I saw TFA 4 times first weekend, TLJ 5 times, Rogue One 3 times (horrible weather, couldn’t get out of the house without danger and I still risked it 3 times). I would say right now how I feel about TLJ, yeah I’ll come close to my viewings counts for Rogue One and TFA by the end. Very close. Maybe even more. I don’t set a goal, I feel like that’s silly, I just see the movies whenever I want and whatever happens happens. What happens is usually between unhealthy and mentally unstable :P hehe

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

Few hours ago it was looking in that range actually around 54, see couple hours how it looks

Of course. $54-$56 was the expected range, IMO. Not the ridiculous - 20% drop Disney projected.