grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The premise always seemed weird and a tough sell, and the reviews didn't help one bit either. Just goes to show if you're an adult-targeted film opening at a time of year when a bunch of Oscar contenders are opening and don't have much to offer, you're screwed.

Premise was interesting.

Too much Monday morning quarterbacking going on.

Why is Deadline going so high on TLJ's 3 day? It's clearing going below 70M.

DAMN @ those Jumanji and PP3 increases! 30M looks good for Jumanji, and PP3 can probably hit 27M

Good to see Showman go up a little bit

Darkest Hour is going to outgross Father Figures in nearly a quarter of its theaters :hahaha: Definitely think it's in for a good expansion next week as theaters slash FF's showtimes

Disappointing expansion for SOW. I'll echo what @tonytr87 said and say Searchlight is waiting too long to expand. The film is something that could've opened in 2k+ theaters out of the gate. It can still do well in January after Oscar nominations come out, but its chances of breaking out are gone.

A shame that The Post went down a bit. Limited numbers aren't as crucial for this movie as other expansions like CMBYN, though.

Edited by WrathOfHan

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

@a2knet, you seem to be on top on sequel drops and raises. Do you have a list for this year?

i didn't calculate the drops and raises but dug out this post :)

Good sequels, bad sequels, everything is falling: CARS3, APES3, DADHO2, K2, BAD MOMS2, POTC5, TF5, JL, ALIEN:C, F8, 50SHADES2, BOO!2, NUTJOB2, DM3

[Interestingly CARS3 is the only one with a ~20% from it's predecessor. All else dropped well above 20%. Let's see what SW8 does, ~750m gives it a 20% drop]

GOTG2, ANNA2, THOR3, JWICK2 (+114%) increased.

https://tinyurl.com/y88qpxgk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why is Deadline going so high on TLJ's 3 day? It's clearing going below 70M.

DAMN @ those Jumanji and PP3 increases! 30M looks good for Jumanji, and PP3 can probably hit 27M

Good to see Showman go up a little bit

Darkest Hour is going to outgross Father Figures in nearly a quarter of its theaters :hahaha: Definitely think it's in for a good expansion next week as theaters slash FF's showtimes

Disappointing expansion for SOW. I'll echo what @tonytr87 said and say Searchlight is waiting too long to expand. The film is something that could've opened in 2k+ theaters out of the gate. It can still do well in January after Oscar nominations come out, but its chances of breaking out are gone.

A shame that The Post went down a bit. Limited numbers aren't as crucial for this movie as other expansions like CMBYN, though.

I think the limited releases will take advantage of some of the openers (mostly just Downsizing and obviously Father Figures) not doing very well and expand quite a bit over the next two weeks. Especially with only one wide opener (Insidious 4) set to open between now and MLK JR weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the limited releases will take advantage of some of the openers (mostly just Downsizing and obviously Father Figures) not doing very well and expand quite a bit over the next two weeks. Especially with only one wide opener (Insidious 4) set to open between now and MLK JR weekend.

Don't forget Molly's Game in 1,500 theaters (which could go down if the limited numbers aren't encouraging)

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why is Deadline going so high on TLJ's 3 day? It's clearly going below 70M.

It’s not going to miss 70, but I think it will have a hard time getting to Deadline’s 83 prediction. Probably will be mid-70’s. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

If numbers hold, 700+ is back on track.

I think that 700M has always been on track. People just jumped to negative conclusions cause the movie wasn't in the real holiday stretch of its run but in shopping-schools-work one. from this weekend onward, things will look much better.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2