the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Just now, titanic2187 said:

If it performed good during MLK, it could be the 1st movie in saturated release that still make more money in its 4th weekend than opening weekend

I thnk this Mon-Thu will average 2m daily at least, maybe 2.5m.

So should put in 8-10 Mon-Thu.

The 4-day weekend then should hit 14 if this 3-day is 14.

That gives 77 + 9 + 14 = 100 by MLK Monday

Nice to see that the storm isn’t having much of an affect on the movies this weekend

EXCLENT for Jumanji!! Saw it the other day. It was a lot of fun, so I can see why it’s doing so well. 

Good for Insidious. I don’t care for these movies personally but clearly Blumehouse is killing it(ha) with all these low budget horror flicks. 

Hope that number holds for TLJ. Certainly better than 19-20m and puts it right in line with TFA and RO 4th weekend drops. 

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Jumanji is a fucking beast.  If that weekend number holds, that's a 30% drop,or even less.  That's just incredible!

Moana and Sing dropped 5-8% over the 4-day weekend. So if Jumanji even hits 33m this weekend, the 4-day next week could be 30+. With these numbers it could be 280-285 by MLK Monday.

208.4 + 33 weekend + 12 Mon-Thu (3 daily avg) + 30 4-day = 283.4 cume .... 51 away from SMH's 334+ dom

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I thnk this Mon-Thu will average 2m daily at least, maybe 2.5m.

So should put in 8-10 Mon-Thu.

The 4-day weekend then should hit 14 if this 3-day is 14.

That gives 77 + 9 + 14 = 100 by MLK Monday

Greatest showman: average rating: 6/10 , RT score 55% rotten

Jumanji: average rating : 6.1/10, RT score, 77% fresh

RT score is clearly misleading!!! audience clearly enjoy it like how they enjoy Jumanji, that rotten score dampen its opening weekend, and only saved by WOM and GA started to disagree with RT score

• Like 3

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Moana and Sing dropped 5-8% over the 4-day weekend. So if Jumanji even hits 33m this weekend, the 4-day next week could be 30+. With these numbers it could be 280-285 by MLK Monday.

208.4 + 33 weekend + 12 Mon-Thu (3 daily avg) + 30 4-day = 283.4 cume .... 51 away from SMH's 334+ dom

400 possible?  :qotd:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

400 possible?  :qotd:

Night at the Museum had a 21.85 MLK 4-day and added 60.3 more to it's run. If that above projection holds and Jumanji follows NATM then will do 283.4 + 3*30 = 373+.

It could beat surprises like Zootopia, IO, F7 (#1 film starring DJ), DP1, TJB, SLOP.

edit: I for one would love it if it makes a go at GOTG2, #4 dom 2017.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Night at the Museum had a 21.85 MLK 4-day and added 60.3 more to it's run. If that above projection holds and Jumanji follows NATM then will do 283.4 + 3*30 = 373+.

It could beat surprises like Zootopia, IO, F7 (#1 film starring DJ), DP1, TJB, SLOP.

With 373+, this could beat Spider-Man 2.

SONY'S 2nd BIGGEST DOM MOVIE EVER

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

Word of Caution (cause at least I was a bit hyper for last few minutes) : Delayed holidays thingy if has a role to play here, then legs from next weekend onward could be lower that expected. MLK 4-day could blunt some of that but eventually it will get noticeable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Greatest showman: average rating: 6/10 , RT score 55% rotten

Jumanji: average rating : 6.1/10, RT score, 77% fresh

RT score is clearly misleading!!! audience clearly enjoy it like how they enjoy Jumanji, that rotten score dampen its opening weekend, and only saved by WOM and GA started to disagree with RT score

That's really unfortunate.

But they both have 90% audience score though.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Word of Caution (cause at least I was a bit hyper for last few minutes) : Delayed holidays thingy if has a role to play here, then legs from next weekend onward could be lower that expected. MLK 4-day could blunt some of that but eventually it will get noticeable.

Ah but consider this; if it passes 425M (THG:CF), it will be the 10th highest grossing film of the decade.

• Thanks 1

Jumanji should be looking closer to 40 if it's 10.8 for Friday. That's a significantly better Friday bump than Sing, and if it followed those holds for Sat and Sun it would do 43m. 

As for Showman, that 125m+ I mentioned last weekend will be a reality if it stays almost flat this weekend. My over Les Mis fantasy may not even be a fantasy. 

• Like 2

Between predicting TLJ would have mixed WOM and a significantly worse multi than RO back on OD, to predicting Jumanji could do NATM numbers several weeks before release, to saying Showman might hit 125m+ last weekend...I must say I'm feeling pretty confident about my bold 2018 predictions right about now. :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A Jumanji Cinematic Universe, in the right hands, would be a ton of fun. 

Have a certain twist with four charismatic actors as the leads in a new location and it could end up being very good.

Think Jumanji is stealing the family audience away from a mixed word of mouth The Last Jedi. Not even going to guess where Jumanji ends. We'll see. 

The Greatest Showman isn't looking like a flop anymore. Good for it even though it looks bad to me. 

The Last Jedi will make Disney a lot of money but can't help but think that these numbers are disappointing. Nobody expected a repeat performance of TFA but I think most expected better. 

• Like 1