Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

I'm curious how much Sony will push theaters to keep Peter Rabbit next week after how much it dropped this weekend. The Easter tie-in works perfectly, but when it's getting low on the charts, will theaters play along?

Blockbuster Phenomenon with another great drop.  We all love when a movie make history up here but this run has been special.  Amazing topping the Legendary Classic "Avengers" to take the Domestic Superhero Crown (Moving up the Adjusted charts too, Wow Spiderman 02' is still in the Top 3, those tickets sold was crazy back then).  It also deserves props for the way it beat "The Last Jedi" with them both coming out only a few months apart and Last Jedi had the Holiday Season and opened almost 20 Million higher.   This is a testament to BP legs and staying power.  So how much does it have in the tank?  Well it's at 630 now with consistent drops.   I think there's another 40-50 in the tank so that's what 670-685 range.  Maybe "Infinity War" release gives it a final push.  700 would get it to "Avengers" adjusted but it might fall just short.  "Titanic" is going down again but the bar was a little high to get to "Awakens" and "Avatar".   

PR2 did "OK" but I'm not impressed coming in under the original's OW.  Yes the original had July summer opening but I was hoping this one would come in around 35 maybe even 40 but again BP is really taking a lot of the oxygen in the room.  Also 5 years gap is a long time for a sequel when the 1st one was really lukewarm domestically.  But I hope John continues to grow into a leading man.  28 is better than earlier estimates, let see if it holds  OS did pretty good though.   ICOI and PTAOC are both tapping in that "Passion" religious audience.  I'm not shocked Mel is planning a "Passion" sequel as this market is there but it isn't tapped into all the time.   TR OS isn't doing that bad at all but it's going to fall under TR2 domestically adjusted.  AWIT is going to have to crawl it's way to 100 Million at this point.  Very excited to see what Steven Does next weekend with RPO.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Pacific Rim 2 should drop 60 percent. It will burn business on weekdays thanks to Easter holidays and RPO will hurt if 

I think this will be most movies though. Spring break is this week, so weekend won't hold.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

"BP is Big Only Cause Politics" = New "Avatar Is Big Only Cause 3D" = New "TDK Is Big Only Cause Ledger Died"

Movies don't get this big if they aren't genuinely loved at least at the time of their release. People may revise them later when they leave cinemas and hit home theaters, but legs/repeat business of this kind doesn't happen cause of gimmick. 

You left out "Titanic is Big Only Because of Teenage Girls" and "Passion of the Christ is Big Only Because Christians"

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm curious how much Sony will push theaters to keep Peter Rabbit next week after how much it dropped this weekend. The Easter tie-in works perfectly, but when it's getting low on the charts, will theaters play along?

Most theaters will keep it next weekend even if for just 1-2 shows early in the day.

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Calling people "haters" is just an invitation for conflict, you know that right? Nothing can ever please every single person out there, it's just how tastes work but it doesn't mean that people who weren't so appreciative of it are suddenly "haters". That seems awfully defensive in a black and white manner.

Were I you I'd just be glad that I loved it and that it was a resounding success.

As for my own personal opinion I thought it was loads of fun and I did indeed really like the villain.

Wow. 

There's lots of condescending terms: fanboy, loonie, casual, hater, naysayer, etc.

But we're all box office nerds just having fun.

I understand the whole "let's not be toxic" or "poison the well" but c'mon this whole castrate and sterilize the forum until it's bland as fuck is getting carried away.

Oops, I guess the word "fuck" probably made someone slightly uncomfortable.

"Bland as heck".

Deadline's Weekend Estimates with Saturday figure & Sunday projections:

UMB RANK FILM STUDIO SCREENS (CHG) FRI SAT SUN 3DAY (%) TOTAL WEEKEND NO.
pacific-rim-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 1 Pacific Rim Uprising Uni/Leg 3,708 $10.4M $10.7M $6.9M $28M   1
black-panther-tuesday.jpg?resize=500%2C2 2 Black Panther Dis 3,370 (-464) $4.4M $7.6M $4.6M $16.7M(-37%) $630.9M 6
i-can-only-imagine2.jpg?resize=500%2C281 3 I Can Only Imagine RSA 2,253 (+624) $3.8M $5.5M $4.5M $13.8M (-19%) $38.3M 2
sherlock-gnomes.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=6 4 Sherlock Gnomes PAR/MGM 3,662 $2.8M $4.6M  $3.2M $10.6M   1
tomb-raider.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 5 Tomb Raider WB/MGM 3,854 $2.9M $4.4M $3.1M $10.4M(-56%) $41.7M 2
wrinkle-in-time-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w 6 A Wrinkle In Time Dis 3,423 (-557) $2.1M $3.6M  $2.3M $8M (-51%) $73.9M 3
love-simon.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 7 Love, Simon Fox 2,434 (+32) $2.3M $3.1M  $2.4M $7.8M (-34%) $23.7M 2
paul-apostle-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=60 8 Paul, Apostle Of Christ Sony 1,473 $1.66M $1.88M $1.46M $5M   1
game-night-3.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 9 Game Night NL/WB 1,866 (-820) $1.2M $1.8M $1.1M $4.16M(-26%) $60.8M 5
midnight-sun-4.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=60 10 Midnight Sun GR 2,173 $1.4M $1.55M $1.1M $4.12M   1
unsane-iiii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 11 Unsane BST 2,023 $1.3M $1.45M $1.05M $3.8M   1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most theaters will keep it next weekend even if for just 1-2 shows early in the day.

This is what I'm expecting my 12plex to do:

Ready Player One x2

Acrimony

God's Not Dead

Pacific Rim

Paul, Apostle of Christ

I Can Only Imagine

Tomb Raider

Black Panther

Sherlock Gnomes/Unsane

Love, Simon/Midnight Sun

Peter Rabbit/A Wrinkle in Time

Gone: Red Sparrow/Jumanji, Death Wish (it's sharing with Peter Rabbit atm)

Replacing Gnomes' night show with Unsane is an easy fix because it's short enough to where they can fit in a 6 PM show and get Unsane in before 8:20-8:30.

Love, Simon performed pretty poorly this weekend here, so it'll likely be another Game Night situation where it's only being kept because of nationwide trends

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Amusingly enough, after getting no extra show yesterday (but getting one Friday), Paul is getting an extra matinee at 5pm at my local with Paul...so at least one movie is probably gonna have a decent Sunday:)...

Paul hasn't been performing on that level at my theater; I'm expecting it to be on half a screen or gone by April 6.

• Like 1