Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

54 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

They barely promoted a 100mil dollar film overseas??? If true Disney knew that it sucked. They were under no illusions about the film.

TBF Black Panther has made so much money for Disney that they can take the hit with Wrinkle. 

Blockers has one star reviews from people (who haven’t seen it) calling the film sexist and saying it’s an extension of the MeToo movement :lol:

I’ve just got back from a preview of Blockers and it’s really funny. And not sexist. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slambros said:

Pacific Rim: Uprising did a little better than expected, but it's got an uphill battle if it wants to seem legitimate. This would feel like a better gross if the budget wasn't as inflated.

Black Panther simply isn't dying, and that's an exciting thing for sure; I do wish the grosses had been just a little more evenly distributed, but Black Panther is a film that really deserves its massive success.

This is an outstanding hold for I Can Only Imagine, one that reminds me of the leg-driven success of War Room in 2015. I believe in the possibility that there were more children watching this than Sherlock Gnomes this weekend.

Speaking of Sherlock Gnomes, I think the film was very lucky to break $10,000,000. I think the film can have a little longevity until April 13th when the triple threat of Rampage, Sgt. Stubby, and Isle of Dogs shoos it away.

I don't think Tomb Raider grossed enough this weekend to justify the amount of theaters it has (which is a higher amount of theaters than Pacific Rim: Uprising). I think Tomb Raider will likely be losing a fairly large amount of theaters next weekend, but I'm expecting it to have a slower drop-off period than something like Assassin's Creed or Warcraft. I think it can still leg its way past $60 million.

I'm starting to want A Wrinkle in Time to make it to $100M domestic but I think the chance is becoming a little slim at this time. Its status as a family film might give it a little more longevity, and I don't really think theaters are going to be willing to drop it too quickly. To make it to $100M, the film needs less than $30M. Maybe it can pull a Maze Runner or a Passengers or an Edge of Tomorrow. Who knows.

Love, Simon has a much better hold than many of the other film this time around. It'll still be around for a few weeks.

I'm a little disappointed at how low Paul, Apostle of Christ debuted, but if the OW stays above $5M, that means the film made its production budget back in the weekend alone. The film will undoubtedly be a popular choice among the elderly folks who see movies on weekdays, so this can't be as much of a financial disaster as Samson was.

Game Night surprised me. I thought it would be dropping off the top ten, but its hold is magnificent. This film deserves it, so bravo!

And at #10, we have Midnight Sun, attempting to make the same clutch move that Forever My Girl and Every Day made to get a #10 spot. This romance genre has really gone off the deep end.

I'm disappointed about Unsane. The film was the only film releasing wide this weekend that had a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and it still managed to fall flat on its face just before the Top Ten finish line. That #10 slot that Midnight Sun is stubbornly holding on to rightfully belongs to Unsane. But at least the film made a profit, right?

I guess there is a big drop-off for films like Peter Rabbit when the majority of their audience has already seen it. But the thing that matters the most is that it made $100M when many of the other films couldn't.

Red Sparrow is $9M away from doubling its budget worldwide. There is an audience that's really driving this film during the weekdays, so I think it'll have no problem doubling its budget worldwide.

I don't think my Strangers: Prey at Night over Kidnap club is going to work out. There's no way it'll secure $8-$9M more than it already has.

That's a very good amount for Isle of Dogs to be receiving on an OW with on 27 theaters. I think Wes Anderson fans can really drive the film forward to a respectable gross. Plus, all the kids being interested in this film's big standee in the auditoriums that showcases all of the dogs can't hurt its gross.

The Death of Stalin did good to gross $1M this weekend, and I can certainly envision IFC being more adventurous by trying to expand this semi-wide while they can.

And I'm not sure if it's a normal occurrence or not for films going from wide to platform after virtually two months' time, but Winchester only had a 0.2% drop this weekend. Not that it really matters at this point.

Game Night isn't really all that surprising if you realize you're looking at the only adult comedy in wide release for the past month.  There's no competition.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

A Wrinkle in Time is a bomb. Disney bombs with non Star Wars/Marvel live action 

Pirates was a success but that was an existing franchise, not to mention the many live action remakes and adaptations. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Pirates was a success but that was an existing franchise, not to mention the many live action remakes and adaptations. 

Plus their animated films (Pixar and Disney animation), are still mostly very successful. 

1 hour ago, ChrisTelclear said:

Game Night isn't really all that surprising if you realize you're looking at the only adult comedy in wide release for the past month.  There's no competition.

Sherlock Gnomes, Unsane, and Midnight Sun could have directed more traffic away from Game Night on Friday and Saturday.  Also, Fifty Shades is still playing at 500+ locations in its seventh weekend.  I think week #8 is when second run discount cinema locations are added. 

example

Winchester is at 90 locations and lost one this weekend in its eighth weekend.  Assuming second run locations did in fact come into effect for Winchester this weekend, then Winchester probably lost about 75% of all the theaters it had for last weekend at regular theaters, then added in the new second run theaters which packed more purchases per dollar, and it was able to duplicate last week's total.  (but with a larger amount of exposure)  

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I haven't read too much about the content of Isle of Dogs because I don't want to be spoiled, but it sounds like something anyone over the age of 8-10 can handle fine. When families have a sense of what the movie is through WOM, that can help it out in May before theaters start dropping it. Chances are most midsize theaters will keep it around until Deadpool; here's a hypothetical 12plex slate:

Avengers x4

Breaking In

Life of the Party

Overboard

Tully

I Feel Pretty

Rampage

A Quiet Place

Isle of Dogs/Blockers

(I'm not convinced Bad Samaritan and Revenge are going into 1k+ theaters until the TCs are out)

An Avengers screen could always be dropped too.

Unless Disney has crazy stupid terms for theaters, I think most 12s are gonna effectively 6 screen Avengers for the OW (4 dedicated and 2 stolen/shared) and do a bunch of splits for other films (giving them a single showing on the weekend and giving a few back on the weekdays to those other non-dedicated screens)...

So, I think holdovers are gonna have epic drops that weekend...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Unless Disney has crazy stupid terms for theaters, I think most 12s are gonna effectively 6 screen Avengers for the OW (4 dedicated and 2 stolen/shared) and do a bunch of splits for other films (giving them a single showing on the weekend and giving a few back on the weekdays to those other non-dedicated screens)...

So, I think holdovers are gonna have epic drops that weekend...

I agree with that; keep in mind that post is for May 11 though

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

50 Shades must feel free now

Feb 9–11 1 $38,560,195 - 3,768 - $10,234 $38,560,195 1
Feb 16–18 3 $17,307,545 -55.1% 3,768 - $4,593 $76,499,000 2
Feb 16–19 3 $19,439,120 -49.6% 3,768 - $5,159 $78,630,575 2
Feb 23–25 5 $7,147,285 -58.7% 3,265 -503 $2,189 $89,793,065 3
Mar 2–4 8 $3,400,505 -52.4% 2,614 -651 $1,301 $95,689,965 4
Mar 9–11 14 $1,368,020 -59.8% 1,357 -1,257 $1,008 $98,382,615 5
Mar 16–18 18 $610,535 -55.4% 873 -484 $699 $99,626,835 6
Mar 23–25 23 $300,000 -50.9% 509 -364 $589 $100,213,720 7
  • Like 1

TGS is a week from overtaking Mummy (409) and Kingsman:GC (411) on 2017 global charts

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $170,928,688    42.0%
Foreign:  $236,462,632    58.0%

Worldwide:  $407,391,320  
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

A Wrinkle in Time is a bomb. Disney bombs with non Star Wars/Marvel live action 

More like Disney bombs with live action non-Star Wars/Marvel/fairy tale/Pirates/Narnia/National Treasure/historical drama/musical/sports drama/family comedy/ah fuck it....

Disney rarely bombs. Sci-fi is their Achilles heel though, live action or animated. I thought WiT was enough fantasy to combat that, but nope. They need to stay far away from Sci-fi if it's not Star Wars.

Edited by MovieMan89