CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

slightly hilarious some of us are genuinely thinking it could do $80 million when we’ve never seen $70 million before. Lol.  

2012 Avengers would adjust to $78.6m in 2018 dollars and Jurassic World adjusts to $77.5m in 2018 dollars. So we have seen the equivalent of much better than a $70m Saturday in terms of 2018 dollars. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

2012 Avengers would adjust to $78.6m in 2018 dollars and Jurassic World adjusts to $77.5m in 2018 dollars. So we have seen the equivalent of much better than a $70m Saturday in terms of 2018 dollars. 

Very true. 

I still can’t fathom how JW was as big as it was. Even with all the nostalgia that was an astonishing run.  Probably the ultimate WTF is going on weekend ever on the forum. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

I'm liking my contest prediction of $245.5 million, more and more. That being said I am hoping for an all out record book assault today and tomorrow ($80 million today, $70 million tomorrow). I don't mind losing if I predicted low :) 

I think we're related:)...

Just now, wildphantom said:

Very true. 

I still can’t fathom how JW was as big as it was. Even with all the nostalgia that was an astonishing run.  Probably the ultimate WTF is going on weekend ever on the forum. 

2012 Avengers and Jurassic World both caught the theater owners with their pants down. Nobody expected them to do anywhere near that kind of business. With mega sequels like TFA or Infinity War, you get the sense the theater owners are a lot more prepared for it. Bigger theater counts, bigger screen counts, etc. 

• Like 1

Of the MCu movies that opened in May

Avengers had a 12% rise over true Friday

Iron Man 2 had a 17% rise

Civil War had a 21.2% rise

GoTG2 had a 32% rise

If IW follows these movies then it would have a saturday ranging from 75m (12% rise) to 88.4m (32% rise). I think a gross around 75 should be likely. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alaska box said:

Think there is any money in a drive in theater in Alaska? Hahahah never seen one in my life! Sorry for off topic post, just thought these things were in older movies or period pieces

They certainly aren't what they used to be but there are almost as many Drive Ins still around as IMAX screens.  

From Wiki

The first drive-in was opened in 1933 in New Jersey.[1] In 2017 there exist about 330 operating drive-in theaters in the United States, down from a peak of about 4,000 in the late 1950’s

• Thanks 1

Just now, Noodlebug said:

Who else thinks something out of left field like a 85M-90M could happen at this point? Especially since it's taking a while for any early numbers to leak.

Legit impossible. The Saturday record is 69M.

• Like 2

Just got back.... the marketting has worked but our audience was not into the "ending" havent heard so much silence at the end of a show in a long time, maybe Mockingjay1.... lots of griping about having to wait on the way out. 

Thought it was well done though. And that 106m OD omg its amazing.  

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

2012 Avengers and Jurassic World both caught the theater owners with their pants down. Nobody expected them to do anywhere near that kind of business. With mega sequels like TFA or Infinity War, you get the sense the theater owners are a lot more prepared for it. Bigger theater counts, bigger screen counts, etc. 

This. With today's prices and had theaters been properly prepared, Jurassic World and Avengers would've done $80M+ Saturday. That's why I think it's in play.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Of the MCu movies that opened in May

Avengers had a 12% rise over true Friday

Iron Man 2 had a 17% rise

Civil War had a 21.2% rise

GoTG2 had a 32% rise

If IW follows these movies then it would have a saturday ranging from 75m (12% rise) to 88.4m (32% rise). I think a gross around 75 should be likely. 

What about Age of Ultron :redcapes:

• Like 1

Saturday increases have just gotten better and better for OWs in the last few years; I think TLJ is about the only movie that had a worse Sat increase than its predecessor in that timeframe. Civil War jumped 21% on Saturday, so my gut's telling me IW is at least gonna see a 20% increase from its true Friday.

I'm thinking $80-83M today.