CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

15 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

If US is acting similar to the screening in UK I was at tonight, then I think Monday is going $32-$36m. Hardly a seat in sight. US and UK are kind of similar with these "event" movies. 

The problem is international markets have Labor Day on Tuesday. USA has Labor Day in September. Makes it a flawed comparison since there was very likely a holiday boost on Monday evening in your market. No holiday boost for Monday evening or Tuesday matinees in USA/Canada. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Solo may actually soften IW's drop that weekend due to double features. 

Wow, Solo will be able to get an IW boost on its OW? Good news.

• Haha 1

If you go back to 12/15/17 thru 5/6/18, Disney will have controlled roughly $1.78B of $3.68B in box office receipts (domestic), for over 48%

of the market, with just three films!  If you add in a Wrinkle in Time, they controlled 51%.

Just think about that for a minute.  Then think about how much MoviePass has helped films that would not have gotten near as many sales if it were not for their 1 a day.

I've seen it first hand.  I have friends that now attend films with me on a weekly basis that only came out on occasion (solely because of MoviePass).

Also, was at Landmark last Tuesday and there were 15 people in the audience, about 11 more than usual for a weeknight there.  Every ticket I saw purchased for that film (You Were Never Really Here) was with MoviePass.

If not for MoviePass, I think the percentage ownership for Disney in this span would be a few points higher.

These numbers in a way are fascinating, but ridiculously scary for big box and smaller budget films.

4 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Who even does double features? I've never seen anyone do it around here. Regional thing?

I attend double features quite regularly, especially when two or more films I want to see open on the same weekend. I caught one this past weekend although I did walk over to a neighboring restaurant for a meal between the two movies due to their start times.

• Like 1

These box office records are fun and all but IW did just pass a more important milestone.

It has more pages in the weekend thread than the other two Avengers movies!

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

IW - 359 pages (and counting)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

These box office records are fun and all but IW did just pass a more important milestone.

It has the more pages in the weekend thread than the other two Avengers movies!

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

The only true metric worth counting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

An indicator of good WOM 40 mill Monday confirmed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

KdqhUgZ.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

XJkFPgf.png

Ya'll loved that TF4 fudge quite a bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, RRA said:

9 out of 10 OWs ever....yup. There is Disney....and then everybody else. 

I can remember about 10-15 years ago when Disney was on the relative ropes given their history.  WDAS had run out of ideas, demonstrated by anemic releases such as Home on the Range and Chicken Little.  Meanwhile, the general movie division leaned heavily on Pixar and the Pirates franchise.  What a difference a decade or so makes.  Time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, townzy89 said:

Wrong..

I have seen AIW twice. Probably won't see it again in Cinemas

Seeing DP2 opening day, if it wasn't coming out it would have had no bearing on me seeing AIW a third time or not

I have seen it twice. And would probably see it a 3rd time in 3-4 weeks if it weren’t for other blockbusters coming out. I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way. 

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

XJkFPgf.png

Ya'll loved that TF4 fudge quite a bit.

TF4 will always stand for The Fudge of 4m. It's actually ~2m but it's fitting to fudge the fudge.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

But what's the number when adjusted for inflation?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

There’s obviously a correlation here so upping my prediction to 35.9M atm with actuals I suspect ending slightly higher at a nice 36.9M

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TA - 342 pages

AoU - 346 pages

Edit: Don't math while multitasking kids.

Edited by Thanos Legion