CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Which Civil War movie did you watch?

Or better yet, do you even know what Civil War means? 

CW didn't have enough action to keep the the audiences who couldn't follow all the dialogue, entertained. If you didn't watch Winter Soldier, you were lost. The airport sequence was cool, as was the intro of Spider-Man and BP, but it wasn't really a team up movie. Yes, IW may be depressing to some but it's always better for audiences to enjoy heroes vs. villains action than vs each other.

• Like 2

Just now, Rman823 said:

Hell the fact that a movie with Ant-Man is looking at over a 70M+ OW shows how strong the Marvel brand is. 

TBH I'd be shocked if it didn't increase from the first. A big OS increase might be tricky because Disney isn't releasing it day and date in a number of countries, Incredibles 2 has the plum release date in places like the UK whereas Ant-Man isn't released until August. 

I was pretty sad my dad didn't get to see it with me. His job demanded he stay overtime. This is the first Marvel movie we didn't get to see together in theaters since Guardian's 1. I had to refund his ticket which deflated me because I watched it without him and someone could have gotten that seat who really wanted to see it. 

On the bright side I had three seats to myself as someone else no-showed their showing. Oh and I loved the movie. 

Edited by GambitPool
  • Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

Can't say guys. Sorry. He said hell post when hes sure. Right now too much speculation. 

I have all night. I only going to work on Wednesday. I will be here tomorrow as well for the inevitable Sunday revision late in the night that will point to the OW record after Disney estimates something like 245M on Sunday.

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

These numbers are great but let's take a brief moment of silence to remember the 69M Saturday "cap." It was nice while it lasted.

Amen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

PRE - $39m

FRI - $67m

SAT - $81m (+21%)

SUN - $64m (-21%) 

$251m :)

Damn, AIW going to shatter the old Saturday record!!! Phenomenal performance and also, can we stop the 70M is cap for a day. AIW potentially going to beat that record by 15+%. On par or slightly higher than TA1 adjusted. 

Wow that’d be a crazy number and smash the previous record. 

It is also right in line with how much Civil War jumped from its true friday to Saturday and bang in the middle of the range I posted earlier.

But I hear some people still asking, what about AoU? :hahaha:

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

These numbers are great but let's take a brief moment of silence to remember the 69M Saturday "cap." It was nice while it lasted.

The Saturday record is going down yo

Weekends like this I really miss Nikki.   

Sure the preview  Exclusive 45! or 36-38 or 40-45! It's 39 Previews debacle gives a bit of throwback entertainment but not only did D'Alessandro close up shop at 9:30pm PST yesterday he's not given us even on Saturday update on a probably record breaking day!

:gold:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

Damn, AIW going to shatter the old Saturday record!!! Phenomenal performance and also, can we stop the 70M is cap for a day. AIW potentially going to beat that record by 15+%. On par or slightly higher than TA1 adjusted. 

It was always a fake cap. Nobody bothered to look at inflation for Jurassic World and 2012 Avengers. Both of them well over $77 million. 

• Like 2

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Wow that’d be a crazy number and smash the previous record. 

It is also right in line with how much Civil War jumped from its true friday to Saturday and bang in the middle of the range I posted earlier.

But I hear some people still asking, what about AoU? :hahaha:

But what about that Civil War Sun drop though? 

The history of 200M+ openers says that it'll end up somewhere right around 230M. They differ greatly in Thursday numbers, but true FSS performance is nearly identical.

This was a good post but I didn't think to go look at inflation numbers at the time you made this comment. 2012 Avengers excluding the midnight gross would be around $213m in 2018 dollars ($70m FRI, $78.6m SAT, $64.5m SUN). Tack on the $39m preview for Infinity War and you get $252m. Looks like we might be heading for a number in that neighborhood.