Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing about TLJ was that it was liked by many, the issue I have is why do so many people not understand that a lot of non-racists, non-sexist people had serious issues with the film.

because if I am those things, why did myself and all my friends and family enjoy RO and TFA???

I think it leads to a fanbase so hardly divided now, its going to cost LF 100s of millions in revenue long term. 

LMFAO the way this was worded makes it seem like TFA and R1 were the pinnacles of inclusion

"I loved Black Panther, Mommy! Shame that most blacks are ghetto, though..."

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only person I feel sorry for is Alden Ehrenreich since his "breakout role" has turned out to be such a bust. I've liked him in previous stuff and liked his performance in Solo despite the suspension of disbelief that he'll eventually become Harrison Ford.

The good news is, his performance got decent reviews, the bad news is that the film is a flop. Do I think it will hurt him in the blockbuster arena? I just don't know.

5 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Heaps better ratio

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $698,249,242    51.9%
Foreign:  $646,036,999    48.1%

Worldwide:  $1,344,286,241  

BP was still made for the pleasure of what audiences wanted though lol

It had tie into the MCU universe and it was a story about a strong black hero in an African country. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The good news is, his performance got decent reviews, the bad news is that the film is a flop. Do I think it will hurt him in the blockbuster arena? I just don't know.

Several actors before have recovered from their "leading man in bombs" phases of their careers, so will he.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

He’s a white guy. He’ll get another chance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

BP was still made for the pleasure of what audiences wanted though lol

It had tie into the MCU universe and it was a story about a strong black hero in an African country. 

Easily the worst part of the movie.

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

"Making films for the benefit of the fanbase should never happen, as cinema is art"

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $609,449,638    33.0%
Foreign:  $1,239,700,000    67.0%

Worldwide:  $1,849,149,638  
:hahaha:

That’s not getting to $2bn now, I thought it was at $1.91bn for some reason.

Marvel unfortunately isn’t the most inclusive franchise, 20 films to have a female lead and she’s sharing the billing. One black lead. Terrible ratios. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

LMFAO the way this was worded makes it seem like TFA and R1 were the pinnacles of inclusion

"I loved Black Panther, Mommy! Shame that most blacks are ghetto, though..."

R1 had two asian guys, a Muslim actor and a leading female?

It was about as diverse as TLJ...So I think scapegoating backlash to TLJ as sexist is lame.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Marvel unfortunately isn’t the most inclusive franchise, 20 films to have a female lead and she’s sharing the billing. One black lead. Terrible ratios. 

Firstly its on track to around 1.97 billion at the least and could do 2 billion.

and the one film with a black lead did more for the industry for blackness then dozens of films before it ;)

quality over quantity 

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

In your opinion but BP would not have been anywhere as popular without it being in MCU lol ? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm going to have so much fun following SoLow's box office from here on out. Can't wait to see all the spin after the dire numbers come out.

I really wonder about their official reaction, but I suspect it will be to do what they've been doing:  spin spin spin.  They don't want to admit defeat on any front, I get that.  They don't want to admit fault, that would then imply they would need to take corrective action.  That usually involves lopping off heads, and I can understand why they either believe they're not there yet or they don't want to go there.

The other path is to do something like what Wells Fargo did once they were clearly caught and getting eviscerated publicly for their misdeads:  start doing your mea culpas.  Say you're sorry and you're gonna work hard to get people back into the fold.  Wells Fargo actually runs TV commercials saying exactly this.  That's kinda what you do when you hit rock bottom in terms of public opinion (or at least believe you're on the cusp of getting there).

That's a bit extreme, and I would be shocked if they went that way right now.  It'd probably take the financial failure of ep9 before they'd even consider something like that.  So cynic in me says they're gonna keep spinning.

The initial spin was to blame Memorial day weekend, even though it was their choice to put it out over Memorial day weekend.  But they have a lot of other fallbacks right?  Blame the fans, blame the troubled production, blame the competitive calendar (whatever that means).  Claim its exceeding expectations even though its clearly not.  Could probably have a list of 10 or more half decent spin moves and ways of claiming faux-victory.

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

What exactly is the MCU tie-in in BP other than brief throwaway dialogue about BP apprehending Zemo and newscasters talking about his pops being blown up by Zemo and that one bodyguard who threatened Black Widow returning?

Edited by RRA

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

:apocalypse:

Huh, JC has been on top since 1998

Thats true. But I was talking about franchises. But I guess we can always pretend that titanic and avatar are in the same universe where one takes place in the past and the other in the future   :Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

That's another thing, they can't put openly gay (or any LGBT really) leads in Marvel because they have to pander to authoritarian countries like China and Russia. Since Star Wars isn't doing so hot OS, they might, hopefully, give it a go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

R1 had two asian guys, a Muslim actor and a leading female?

It was about as diverse as TLJ...So I think scapegoating backlash to TLJ as sexist is lame.

You're aware that trolls also went after Rogue One for being "diverse," right?

Just now, RRA said:

What exactly is the MCU tie-in in VO other than brief throwaway dialogue about BP apprehending Zemo and newscasters talking about his pops being blown up by Zemo and that one bodyguard who threatened Black Widow returning?

This is completely incomprehensible to me.

• ...wtf 1