Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Wait, you’re still allowed to post in this thread!?     

Weekend’s almost over man, how is this possible?

I been rather calm this weekend as the numbers are so bad, they speak for themselves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember when X-Men fans talked about the amazing word of mouth that Days of Future Past had and at the end of the day the film was still mega front loaded. 

All the X-Men films are mega-frontloaded though, regardless of WOM. Deadpool was an exception, because it was something entirely new in the whole SH genre. But even the first X-Men film was pretty frontloaded for 2000 standards.

1 minute ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

subreddits seem quite extreme though to one point or another I think they don't represent the public very well or the average normal fan 

Not all subreddits are The_Donald. The movie/TV subreddits are pretty fair for fans. If something is wrong or bad they generally say so.

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Did I not say FAN reaction was positive? Where else do you find fan reactions other than a fan site?

Cinemascore has it at A-.

Cinemascore is pointless for films with big fanbases as they poll on the opening day.

The Last Jedi had a score of A

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Cinemascore is pointless for films with big fanbases as they poll on the opening day.

The Last Jedi had a score of A

Which is still kinda ironic, isnt it? Its the mega fans who rush on OD to see a new SW film and its also in large part the "mega-fans" who hate TLJ. So that CinemaScore doesnt really make sense if one thinks about it. If anything, it shows that polling such a score in only a small amount of theaters makes it not much better than any other purely anecdotical evidence.

I been reading yoy guy and love your analysis.

But for me simple, you cant replace Han Solo wit another actor so soon, i think a lot of people didn't went to the theater because of that,  i love him in Hail cesar, but simply he is no han solo, and i think  a lot of people didn't  went to see the movie because of that.

You can't replace Han solo, HAN Solo is Harrison in people minds, he is iconic.

Edited by edmkh
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think it is safe to say that GirafficPark's head may be in the clouds when it comes to Solo.

Why? Its a really good movie that fans that have actually seen it like a lot. Its terrible BO changes nothing about its quality. BO performance says nothing about a movies quality at all, popular doesn't equal good especially when people WONT see it for 'reasons'.

It does have good WOM, that doesnt mean I think its going to hit 300M or anything. This is the general r/movie thread about solo

They also like it, and they ripped TLJ to pieces.

Edited by GirafficPark

5 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

They also did the second Thor. But the last I checked was a while ago so I just remembered wrong. Although I stand by my other point, which is that it seems like people talk about directors as if they're usually the ones writing the script. 

They can be at fault as well for a garbage product but ultimately who’s in charge of the set (the director or/and producer usually) is who I primarily blame.

So as per Rth's update in Solo OS thread, the OS weekend could be only 60M. DP2 and Solo should be identical and any one of them may win the weekend.

Now, taking it's 3 Day WW weekend into account, it may only do 140M and Deadline predicted 305M :P

Also 200M OS is dead with 60M opening.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And it absolutely took a toll on the DC franchise, similarly to how TLJ took a toll on the Star Wars brand.

What is the pre-existing, actual DC franchise that BvS "took a toll on" exactly? If it is DC in general, do you think that Aquaman will gross less than Green Lantern?

1 minute ago, oMeriMombatti said:

So as per Rth's update in Solo OS thread, the OS weekend could be only 60M. DP2 and Solo should be identical and any one of them may win the weekend. Taking it's 3 Day WW weekend into account, it may only do 140M and Deadline predicted 305M :P

I thought Deadline's number was overzealous but the reality of how wrong they will be is astonishing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What is the pre-existing, actual DC franchise that BvS "took a toll on" exactly? If it is DC in general, do you think that Aquaman will gross less than Green Lantern?

No. But as I argued before elsewhere, it’s a franchise built on IPs but not on brand power yet.

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Should've been more specific: I meant the DCEU franchise.

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Not sure what message LF is supposed to get from all these grosses. It seems like the fans want new, but old and recycled, weak and obvious fan service, but not subtle, dark, but family friendly and funny, but serious.

The takeaway ought to be build on your fanbase, don’t shit on it.

Various people at Lucasfilm, Rian, JJ etc, have openly mocked and taunted the SW fans.  Various statements made in interviews or off-the-cuff social media made by them have helped to poison this well.  The fanbase didn’t wake up one day and decide to arbitrarily hate Star Wars, the recent batch of creators and leaders have caused this to happen.

Yeah the megafans are about as crazy as a bag of cats.  You still need to treat them with respect and guide them the right way.  If you don’t show up for them, they may not show up for you next time.

i hope this puts to rest this idea that Star Wars is indestructible and fans always show up.  Clearly they always have and that is true, until it’s not.  Things are different now and Lucasfilm needs to acknowledge this new reality if they want to navigate it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1