CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

You didn't hear it from me but I see some Tom Cruise Kool-Aid passed around this website occasionally. Must be scientology-flavored... 

All jokes aside these boards have a long, long history of overestimating every Tom Cruise movie

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's in 3d? oh fuuuuuuuuck off. it was gonna be the first movie i saw in IMAX since dunkirk but i GUESS NOT because everything else has to be fucking imax 3d. how are there still people watching 3d movies in 2018 goddamn

It was filmed in 3D though 🤔

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

All jokes aside these boards have a long, long history of overestimating every Tom Cruise movie

:sparta: 

13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Seeing Fallen Kingdom in a couple of hours. If it's bad it better be bad in an entertaining way. Can't have a boring dinosaur film.

Just ignore the awful writing and enjoy the dinos, it's definitely a bad movie but in an entertaining way. It's chock full of dinosaur action, just watch it for that. Pretend you're watching a B-movie with great SFX. I enjoyed the film because I went in knowing the writing would be trash.

24 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't see the hook with Fallout this time like the last two and I think younger people I've talked to especially (outside here) are lukewarm on the franchise/Cruise at this point. Plus I doubt the reception is at the level of the last two. Anything above 60 would definitely impress me.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

What sequel  to a film that has opened has to 150 million dollars or more do you think has done well?

That a very small sample size.

Are Last Jedi, Jurassic World 2, Ultron, Infinity War, Justice League, Dark Knight Rises, Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part 1 the only sequel to 150m opener ever ?

Performance relative to the previous entry, dbo/ww

Infinity War     145% / 144%

Catching Fire    : 104% / 125%

Dark nights Rises:  84% / 108%

Mockingjay Part 1:  80% /  87%

Age of Ultron    :  74% /  93%

Justice League   :  69% /  75%

Last Jedi        :  66% /  64%

Excluding Infinity war freak of nature the Average has been to make around:

80% dbo / 92% intl

Including Infinity war

89% dbo / 99% intl

Dark knight Rises/Catching Fire obviously did very well.

Because of how high they were starting from (or achieve in case of Ultron), feel like they also did well Ultron for sure, even MJ part 1 having lost is high concept and trying some new low cost release strategy did well.

JL / Last Jedi drop are quite harsher in that group, LJ starting from a phenomenom and still doing over 1.3b is obviously a case were relative drop does not tell all the story like it does for Justice League.

59 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I am always talking worldwide not just taking a narrow viewpoint about the u.s ow. So the Reimi spider man sequels, the first 4 transformers films, the first 4 POTC films, the f&f films (though fotf dropped but not as bad as TLJ or JW2), the Lotr films, the Harry Potter films , the avengers films e.t.c

Some of those had a bigger China market share were they didn't drop, softening all the rest of the world drop and many of those were historic phenomenom in term of fanbase fidelity like Potter/Lords of the Rings,

Could Jurassic World 2 drop end up being similar to Furious 8 range ?

Furious 7->8

DBO: 353->226

Os-China: 772->617

China: 391->393

Jurassic World having similar drop would give us:

DBO: 652->417.44

Os-China: 791->632

China: 229->230

If Jurassic World 2 would have dropped at the exact same unadjusted for nothing rate it would have made 1,279 billion.

Note that Fate 8 was also not received that well by critics and both coming up from over performer for what their previous entry really were, so saying similar to it is not an argument about doing specially good, same goes for the drop looking very similar to Spectre from Skyfall. Those 2 example and Jurassic World 2 are sequel following an obvious peak unfair to expect to be repeated, but with a reception that didn't help retention rate either.

16 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I haven't seen a reason why it would increase dramatically from RN besides "omg stunts" and 3D. And I actually quite liked the (first) trailer. 

Rogue Nation had great legs, noticeably better than Bourne Supremacy (55/195 vs 52/176) and Ultimatum went on to make almost $230M. 

Perhaps more of a personal taste, but I thini the marketing has been much stronger and not just the stunts; this is the first in the series to present an antagonist that looks like he can fuck Ethan up.

19 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

But seriously, Tom Cruise - and MI - doesn't appeal to under-20s. OS is a crapshoot but domestically I don't see much more than 200M. 

To go in that sense.

Ghost protocol had a great reception, Rogue Nation had a great reception (with the plane stunt gathering a bit less traction than the tower stunt I guess) and did less.

It seem a very stable franchise at this point, with the last 2 so close together. First trailer was great, space mask stuff imply highering the stake / scope even more so we could see a bump to 220-225.

But much more ? It will be hard to have a better reception that the last 2 with their 93% Rotten tomatoes score.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's in 3d? oh fuuuuuuuuck off. it was gonna be the first movie i saw in IMAX since dunkirk but i GUESS NOT because everything else has to be fucking imax 3d. how are there still people watching 3d movies in 2018 goddamn

If you're in NA, IMAX screens always offer the option to see the film in 2D nowadays

RN sleep walked through its entire marketing campaign. That's why it opened so low. Fallout's has been in overdrive since the beginning. It even held its own with the other much more high profile super bowl trailers when it debuted there. RN's legs show people loved that movie and should be interested in the follow up. Fallout will increase by at least 30m from RN, unless it's not very good. 

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Rogue Nation had great legs, noticeably better than Bourne Supremacy (55/195 vs 52/176) and Ultimatum went on to make almost $230M. 

Perhaps more of a personal taste, but I thini the marketing has been much stronger and not just the stunts; this is the first in the series to present an antagonist that looks like he can fuck Ethan up.

I don't even know who the antagonist is. You mean Superman? The trailer just sorta sells him as a guy for Ethan to fight. The antagonist seems to be the government... again. 

Edited by Mekanos

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

It is a bit different on 2 aspect.

Mostly, that was a growing cinematic franchise, Supremacy almost made 50% more than the previous one, 2->3 50m jump is the same than the previous grow.

And Ultimatum got an clear uptick in it's reception thought from a 80% type to 90% (A-, A- to A cinemascore)

• Like 1

Also four years is simply too long between sequels in today's franchise market (the gap between 4 and 5). Three years maybe doesn't seem like a big difference, but it definitely is. That one year is the difference between what's too long of a gap and what isn't. 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

is the bad guy in six just Sean Harris again? glad they've brought back that character we all loved so  much for ethan hunt to face yet again.

The trailers definitely show some Cruise vs. Cavill scenes. So we'll have to see if it's a filmlong thing or if they eventually team up for good.