CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I think I have made my viewpoint of MI Fallout pretty clear. I think it ends up being #5 for summer. And the biggest MI movie OS as well thanks to the 3D upcharges. 

If we count first weekend of May as Summer then #5 requires beating Solo or AM&TW, that'd mean a decent increase from Rogue Nation in 2015.

Looking back, here's how the Mission Impossible trailer has been received at my shows:

Black Panther: No reacitons (about 100 people in IMAX)

Annihilation: Murmurs (5 other people)

A Quiet Place: No reactions (only 4 other people)

Infinity War: No reactions (about 300 people in IMAX)

Ready Player One: No reactions (only 2 other people)

Breaking In: No reactions outside of two teen girls getting shushed for talking too loud (15 other people)

Upgrade: No reactions (8-10 other people)

Hereditary 1: No reactions (5 other people before the parents with the one year old walked in)

Hereditary 2: No reactions (10 other people)

It's only gotten any reactions ONCE out of nine times. A few of these crowds were small, but the rest had enough for there to be a good chance at reactions. I don't think the hype is there among the GA.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Good number for Jurassic, all things considered. It should be on track for around $145-150 million for the weekend, depending upon how much it increases from the true Friday figure today.

I'm just a little disappointed that Incredibles 2 didn't go a bit higher, but it's up against heavier competition than any previous Pixar film has faced in its second weekend and it's still on track to comfortably unseat Finding Dory for their top second weekend gross to date.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Looking back, here's how the Mission Impossible trailer has been received at my shows:

Black Panther: No reacitons (about 100 people in IMAX)

Annihilation: Murmurs (5 other people)

A Quiet Place: No reactions (only 4 other people)

Infinity War: No reactions (about 300 people in IMAX)

Ready Player One: No reactions (only 2 other people)

Breaking In: No reactions outside of two teen girls getting shushed for talking too loud (15 other people)

Upgrade: No reactions (8-10 other people)

Hereditary 1: No reactions (5 other people before the parents with the one year old walked in)

Hereditary 2: No reactions (10 other people)

It's only gotten any reactions ONCE out of nine times. A few of these crowds were small, but the rest had enough for there to be a good chance at reactions. I don't think the hype is there among the GA.

It’s...not a reaction based trailer?

I'm totally going to make my predictions based on audience reactions from a stranger's recollection. That would be a really smart thing to do. I'm going to predict based on actual factors and be right or wrong based on those factors.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

It’s...not a reaction based trailer?

People react to trailers after they're done all the time. MI isn't reaction based during the trailer (outside of a joke in the second one), but shouldn't people be talking afterwards to express interest? idk

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm totally going to make my predictions based on audience reactions from a stranger's recollection. That would be a really smart thing to do. I'm going to predict based on actual factors and be right or wrong based on those factors.

Hey, I'm just saying the trailer rarely gets reactions at my shows. There's other reasons I'm not going too high on the movie, mainly because I don't see any reason for it to have a gigantic increase over Rogue Nation.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

People react to trailers after they're done all the time. MI isn't reaction based during the trailer (outside of a joke in the second one), but shouldn't people be talking afterwards to express interest? idk

People don't react to trailers at my theaters. I never use reactions like that to make predictions. I've said it before but I don't get this trailer reaction metric that people use. It makes no sense to me. You have no idea what people's reactions were one way or the other.

I don't see the hook with Fallout this time like the last two and I think younger people I've talked to especially (outside here) are lukewarm on the franchise/Cruise at this point. Plus I doubt the reception is at the level of the last two. Anything above 60 would definitely impress me.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I don't see the hook with Fallout this time like the last two and I think younger people I've talked to especially (outside here) are lukewarm on the franchise/Cruise at this point. Plus I doubt the reception is at the level of the last two. Anything above 60 would definitely impress me.

This. Outside of Cruise piloting a helicopter, there's really no hook to this. The plot doesn't stand out enough from other movies in the series.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This. Outside of Cruise piloting a helicopter, there's really no hook to this. The plot doesn't stand out enough from other movies in the series.

The last one was coming off the hot franchise restarter, had the "rogue nation of spies" hook, and the fucking hanging off the plane. The one before was a big comeback movie and had the Burj Khalifa thing, which was amazing. This appears to have no plot and no discernible hook outside of....Henry Cavill? I'd love to hear one, if someone has another answer. That's no big stunt in the trailers, and no clear plot, and no narrative like the last two either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You didn't hear it from me but I see some Tom Cruise Kool-Aid passed around this website occasionally. Must be scientology-flavored... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

The last one was coming off the hot franchise restarter, had the "rogue nation of spies" hook, and the fucking hanging off the plane. The one before was a big comeback movie and had the Burj Khalifa thing, which was amazing. This appears to have no plot and no discernible hook outside of....Henry Cavill? I'd love to hear one, if someone has another answer. That's no big stunt in the trailers, and no clear plot, and no narrative like the last two either.

I mean shit, this is the official synopsis:

Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think I have made my viewpoint of MI Fallout pretty clear. I think it ends up being #5 for summer. And the biggest MI movie OS as well thanks to the 3D upcharges. 

it's in 3d? oh fuuuuuuuuck off. it was gonna be the first movie i saw in IMAX since dunkirk but i GUESS NOT because everything else has to be fucking imax 3d. how are there still people watching 3d movies in 2018 goddamn

• Like 2