baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

43 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Han Solo drops to 3rd in tickets sold as Principe Bue Encantado FUCKING EXPLODES JESUS!

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_31_maio_a_3_junho_2018_291355b151161c16f6.pdf

That's what Allah wanted to do :sparta:

Jokes aside, good for that movie, whatever it may be. LMAO at Solo, bigger disaster than our performance against Tunisia.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's what Allah wanted to do :sparta:

Jokes aside, good for that movie, whatever it may be. LMAO at Solo, bigger disaster than our performance against Tunisia.

Deadpool 2 is now bigger than the first movie in the same point in time. What a performance!

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Deadpool 2 is now bigger than the first movie in the same point in time. What a performance!

With a smaller opening, it's already bigger at the same point in time?

Spoiler

Morena Baccarin's gorgeous legs

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Older movie goers attending movies more days after release in average is a true stereotype too:

The AARP study highlighted that older adults also demonstrate distinctive behavior around film release cycles. Movio research has shown this group is significantly less likely than moviegoers under 50 to attend films on opening weekend, with 60-percent of their visits coming after opening weekend, and on average, 15.2 days post-opening.   

https://www.aarp.org/research/topics/life/info-2017/the-50plus-moviegoer.html

You couldn't pay me to go see a movie on opening weekend - just get aggravated.

Tickets sold today at my theater (* denotes reduced showtimes):

Solo: 118 (100 2D/18 3D) (the late afternoon 2D show and the morning 3D show sold nothing)

Adrift: 100

Book Club: 70

Deadpool: 56

Avengers: 35 (19 2D/16 3D)

Upgrade: 24

Breaking In: 21*

Life of the Party: 19*

Show Dogs: 18*

Action Point: 11 (the late afternoon show was empty)

lmfao, so many of Solo's shows sold barely anything :hahaha: A lot of this lines up with what I saw in the parking lot earlier :ph34r: Book Club is starting to slow down too; the early afternoon show represents half of these sales with the last two shows in particular being pretty dead.

Edited by WrathOfHan

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Only five people in today’s Infinity War showing...I think this movie is a flop, guys.

Two of them were a cute old couple holding hands as they watched.

Were they both still there by the end of the movie? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Only five people in today’s Infinity War showing...I think this movie is a flop, guys.

Two of them were a cute old couple holding hands as they watched.

Aw....

There was a twitter post when it first came out written by I gather an usher.  As the credits ended he saw a very old woman there alone and he asked her why she chose the movie and she said her husband had always loved Captain America and she heard he was in this.

:(

• Sad 14

23 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone who thinks Phantom Thread is one of the worst movies they've ever seen shouldn't be allowed to discuss movies. 

People are bad at objectively judging how competently movies are made.

Theres plenty of movies I really don’t like but I couldn’t say are “objectively terrible” or anything.  Like The Greatest Showman from this last year annoys me to no end, but it’s objectively a terribly made movie when you consider that it has a comprehendable narrative thread, it’s edited in a way that is blatantly jarring, the acting isn’t actually wooden (even if I’d say some of the stars phone it in), and the production value is pretty high.  (And from a musical standpoint, the songs are performed well even if I find them excruciatingly annoying)

Compare that movie to one of those old Straight to Video movies that’s buried in Netflix somewhere and you’ll come to appreciate some of the merits of modern big studio movies that are reviled.

Thats not to say you’re not allowed to dislike some of these big studio/high profile movies.  I’d just say there’s very few of them that are genuinely terribly made.

The Room is probably the best example of what a truly bad movie is (only minus the unintentional hilarity value).  Anyone who can say The Room (or other films like it that aren’t as popular) is better crafted than say Phantom Thread in this example wouldn’t deserve to be taken seriously

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baumer said:

I am very haply at those who have chosen to see book club and have subsequently enjoyed it quite a bit. Now I will urge all of you to go seek out adrift and give that a chance as well.

My wife and a couple of her friends went and saw it and they really enjoyed it. Not really my thing but I’ll probably watch it later on down the road. 

• Like 1

hoping dp2 manages 62.5% mon drop for 2.55. going a little more conservative than spy's early/mid june holds

mon-thu

2.55 (-62.5%) +3.25 (+27.5%) + 2.4 (-26%) + 2.2 (-8%) = 10.4

4th weekend

4.0 (+82%) + 5.9 (+47.5%) + 4.2 (-29%) = 14.1 (-39%)

Gives a running tally of 254.5 (current) + 10.4 + 14.1 = 279

If it adds 2.25-2.50x the 4th weekend gets to 310-315 dom,

279+14.1*2.25 = 310.7

279+14.1*2.50 = 314.25

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A2k Rex said:

hoping dp2 manages 62.5% mon drop for 2.55. going a little more conservative than spy's early/mid june holds

mon-thu

2.55 (-62.5%) +3.25 (+27.5%) + 2.4 (-26%) + 2.2 (-8%) = 10.4

4th weekend

4.0 (+82%) + 5.9 (+47.5%) + 4.2 (-29%) = 14.1 (-39%)

Gives a running tally of 254.5 (current) + 10.4 + 14.1 = 279

If it adds 2.25-2.50x the 4th weekend gets to 310-315 dom,

279+14.1*2.25 = 310.7

279+14.1*2.50 = 314.25

It is going to end up playing pretty close to IM2 once all is said and done, which is kind of interesting when you consider the differences / similarities between DP1/IM1 and their sequels.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, baumer said:

Look ladies and gentlemen, this has gone on long enough.  It started with the DCEU and we didn't put the lid on that quick enough,  It made the forums unbearable for a time.  So we had to make the spoiling the well rule.  

Same thing goes here.  It's not a SW bias as some have suggested.  It's that about a dozen posters have all complained about the same things.  We can't have a shit storm/blitzkrieg against one film.  There are threads for that.  We have said in the past, if you want to talk about this stuff, do it in the Fanboy Wars thread.  But so many of you just can't help yourselves and you have to poke at it, tear to shreds, beat the dead horse and hit the spin cycle and repeat.  And that's not what this site is supposed to be about.  We want to talk box office, not just one movie but all movies.  

You want to talk about Solo dropping 65%?  Go for it.  But do it rationally and remember that you might think you know stuff because of what you read but bottom line is it's all speculation.  And saying something like Star Wars is in trouble when it had one film bomb is borderline trollish.

Here's the bottom line with Star Wars (and hopefully y'all take heed to this)

TLJ made a pile of money and Disney will see a ton of profit from it.

TLJ also upset a lot of fans

It's possible and likely that this contributed to the lack of interest to Solo, but there are several other factors in this

Solo is bombing 

Episode 9 has some work to do

Disney and Star Wars are not in trouble because of one film 

These are the things that have been discussed in the weekend thread since December of 2017.

it's time to let it go.  

AND 

As moderators we will ensure that we treat all films this way.  We realize that we took too long to stomp out the fire when it comes to DC....we should have done it way sooner.

And now this SW stuff has really started to ruin the forums.  There are dozens of posters in here who just want to talk box office. Seeing the same shit brought up over and over again makes people not want to stay and not want to be here.  And that has to stop.  

So we are going to unlock the thread but please, all of you, myself and the mods included, let's try to keep this civil.  Be better than what we have been.

Thanks,

The Staff.

I certainly won’t tell the staff what to do but it might not be a bad idea to have this post as a sticky on the main page of the forums@Water Bottle @aabattery@baumer @AndyLL  

Edited by DAR

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, DAR said:

I certainly won’t tell the staff what to do but it might not be a bad idea to have this post as a sticky on the main page of the forums@Water Bottle @aabattery@baumer @AndyLL  

yeah don't tell us what to do

who do you think you are gawd

We'll talk about it and consider it. :)

• Thanks 1