Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Movie's been out on Blu-Ray for two months. Imagine it's hard to pull significant fudge for a film that's been so easy to watch at home for so long.

Do people still buy blu-rays?

51 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't see it expanding further so I think it'll start dropping from here. And Kids and WWB were more audience-friendly.

It does not need to expand further to reach that number. The other two did not expand beyond 1,000 theaters either. I am not really sure that you can say the other two are more audience friendly either when Sorry to Bother You is pacing better, but we will see what happens.    

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

I'm still surprised that Disney threw their weight behind pushing A Wrinkle in Time past $100 million rather than getting Black Panther past 700; the former was just a face-saving move for a film that underperformed, while the latter is a mark that only two other films have ever surpassed domestically. I think they just assumed that it would crawl past the milestone after the Blu-Ray release like Frozen did four years ago (Frozen was at 396.4 after a 2.15 weekend just before its Blu-Ray launch; Black Panther was at 696.3 after a 2.08 weekend) without accounting for the fact that Black Panther is playing in a much more competitive season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I'm still surprised that Disney threw their weight behind pushing A Wrinkle in Time past $100 million rather than getting Black Panther past 700; the former was just a face-saving move for a film that underperformed, while the latter is a mark that only two other films have ever surpassed domestically. I think they just assumed that it would crawl past the milestone after the Blu-Ray release like Frozen did four years ago (Frozen was at 396.4 after a 2.15 weekend just before its Blu-Ray launch; Black Panther was at 696.3 after a 2.08 weekend) without accounting for the fact that Black Panther is playing in a much more competitive season.

It's because $100M allows for better deals in TV rights, etc., while no deals come with $700M because, as you said, only two movies in history have crossed the mark (both within the past decade, no less).

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

I mean it's available to rent/own digitally too. The point is, it doesn't require going to the theater.

Once it hits Netflix next month, the path to 700m becomes way harder.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

The former makes you actual money, and the latter does not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Fun fact. When Mission Impossible opens next week 9 out of 10 films in the top 10 will be sequels. 

Wow, looks like sequels have been decimated.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

It does not need to expand further to reach that number. The other two did not expand beyond 1,000 theaters either. I am not really sure that you can say the other two are more audience friendly either when Sorry to Bother You is pacing better, but we will see what happens.    

STBY just expanded more aggressively, which is why its been ahead. But this, its third weekend, is gonna give it about 2.6m which is the figure to which Kids and WWB only dropped in their respective fifth weekends. Afterwards, they added 6.8m and 8m respectively to their cume (WWB with the help of a late-August expansion), so if STBY follows them it'll finish at 17-18m. I think it'll come under that because its PTA is gonna drop over 50% this weekend and if theaters don't start dropping it next weekend they'll definitely be quick to do it in August.

• Like 1

I still doubt I2 is gonna hit 600 btw. With MI6, Teen Titans and CR all hitting in the next two weeks, it's far more likely that it'll get to around 590 (that's counting the LD expansion) and Disney won't bother dragging it to 600.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'd be hilarious if Disney is still trying to fudge Black Panther when it's out on Netflix in a month or two :hahaha: 

Everything would have been so easy if they had waited just one more week for blu ray. It would have made at least another 200k that weekend alone after it was first out. It had been sub 40% drops for the whole run and then 60% that weekend. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Ugh, only $10.7M for JWFK...what stubby legs. 

Can we stop with the will it or won't it get to $400M talk? It'll sail by that mark.

Going above Iron Man 3 (that made 406.5m) while starting 26m lower make it pretty clear, should reach 415+m

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Sony will be considering a Threequalizer? 

This weekend proves how can you can cater to everyone with two different films. Counter programming at its finest 

If it does a near 3.0x and again play close to a 1:1 intl, Sony certainly will.

If it does 2.65x (thus missing all those juicy 100m bonus) and 58% dbo/42% intl (like Denzel often do) from a 34m start for a 155m WW total and if the rumors of a high 70m net budget are true, I imagine what the third would be and at what cost will have to be taken into consideration.

Outside big first dollar gross deal (that are possible with the name involved), would still possibly be a success despite doing only 2.01/2.05 times it's budget performance because it went significantly higher than it's budget domestic, but not much margin for the next sequel expected drop.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Alli said:

For the star wars movie I would imagine so yes, but last year in the united state they bought for 4.7 billion worth of bluray/dvd

Say an average $13 price tag, that just 360m sale, getting close to 1 by person.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

I mean it's available to rent/own digitally too. The point is, it doesn't require going to the theater.

Once it hits Netflix next month, the path to 700m becomes way harder.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'd be hilarious if Disney is still trying to fudge Black Panther when it's out on Netflix in a month or two :hahaha: 

10 imax screens or an AM2 DF on labor day weekend will get it over 700

• Like 1

I mean obviously enough people bought BP that first week to significantly affect the box office of it that weekend. There was no other reason for it to drop 60% that weekend when it had held so amazingly up until then. The TC loss that weekend was nothing horrific or that it hadn't already dealt with. 

• Like 1