MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm not expecting it to explode on final days like a non-franchise movie and reach 10M previews, but i doubt it will lose pace either.

This have way more chances of behave closer to F9 pace. SC despite being Marvel is an who character, there's 0 reason to follow patterns of movies with huge characters.

The way numbers are and expecting they're not collapsing, 7.5-8M seems the reasonable number and i will stick with it. Is enough for +60M 3-day which is excellent and everyone will be happy with it.

For this movie, legs will be way more important than the OW anyway.

$7.5-8m should get closer to $70m/ $85m

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC Rich said:

Labor Day weekend has never been known as a big box office weekend.  Part of that is that studios do not place a tentpole movie on that weekend. Part of it is because people tend not to go to movies as much on that weekend.  Besides the fact that Shang-Chi is opening, why should we expect a big change?  Is Shang-Chi enough to get people to the theaters when they typically do other things during that weekend?  I could see a scenario where Thursday and Friday are really good as the Marvel fans and the more avid moviegoer turns out but then dropping over the weekend as people turn to more family and outside activities.  I still see Shang-Chi having a good run through September just maybe not off the huge opening some are expecting.   People's movie viewing habits have changed in the last year and a half.  Is this enough to change their habits on Labor Day weekend?  Just curious.

We have had years of movies proving that the interest in the product far outweighs seasonal effects. I am not expecting anything huge per se from Shang-Chi (thinking 50-60 3-day rn) but it will crush the Labor Day record for sure, proving this point again. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

This “Labor Day will hurt the OW” idea is a bunch of largely incoherent nonsense and superstitions. Movies do well on Labor Day. Just as we should expect, just like they do well on Pres 4day, MDW, MLK 4day, etc. Sunday acting as a Sat boosts the Sun night shows, and Mon acting as a Sun boosts the Mon tremendously, of course. It’s a great date.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

This “Labor Day will hurt the OW” idea is a bunch of largely incoherent nonsense and superstitions. Movies do well on Labor Day. Just as we should expect, just like they do well on Pres 4day, MDW, MLK 4day, etc. Sunday acting as a Sat boosts the Sun night shows, and Mon acting as a Sun boosts the Mon tremendously, of course. It’s a great date.

If ‘It’ can open on a random weekend in September and make $123 million, there’s really no reason for any of this “September is a dead month” talk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

And then there is relatively lower competition which extend legs. I want Marvel to claim the weekend for good.

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

There have been 4 movies that have even broke 18 million dollars for the 3 day and 0 movies that broke 30 million and this is movies doing well?  And one of those movies was Tenet which didn't it have its week of AMC numbers in that 20.2 opening?  The biggest opening was 14 years ago that is how much of a non factor it has been when it comes to opening. WB that has had big success with the second Sept weekend with horror movies has shown 0 interest in moving the date to Labor day to get that extra weekend day.

Even if you want to play the adjusted game the list is made up of stuff like ET  and BTTF with just 4 movies adjusting over 30 million and 1 over 40 million (sixth sense adjusting to a bit over 50).

• ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

There have been 4 movies that have even broke 18 million dollars for the 3 day and 0 movies that broke 30 million and this is movies doing well?  And one of those movies was Tenet which didn't it have its week of AMC numbers in that 20.2 opening?  The biggest opening was 14 years ago that is how much of a non factor it has been when it comes to opening. WB that has had big success with the second Sept weekend with horror movies has shown 0 interest in moving the date to Labor day to get that extra weekend day.

Even if you want to play the adjusted game the list is made up of stuff like ET  and BTTF with just 4 movies adjusting over 30 million and 1 over 40 million (sixth sense adjusting to a bit over 50).

If studios only put weak movies on Christmas, it would be the case that Christmas movies all did poorly. Doesn’t mean it would be a bad date. Classic case of confused causality.

• Like 3

I don't really subscribe to any given weekend being 'cursed.' Granted, this 4th of July might have felt like a special case, but if there's a compelling movie, it'll do well in most if not all given dates under normal circumstances. And yes I get that there's Delta but Shang Chi should do well given what we're seeing with Free Guy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't really subscribe to any given weekend being 'cursed.' Granted, this 4th of July might have felt like a special case, but if there's a compelling movie, it'll do well in most if not all given dates under normal circumstances. And yes I get that there's Delta but Shang Chi should do well given what we're seeing with Free Guy.

July 4 actually a notable exception. It was easy to see the depressed Sat+Sun coming on this calendar… because the exact same thing happened on the last occurrence of it. I guess the other exception is that Super Bowl weekend truly is a really weak/bad date for movies. The key is that you can see this on past occurrences of the weekend — you look at dailies, compare to nearby weekends, very clear damage to the nums. To both openers and holdovers, strong product and weak product.   

Look at past Labor Days and things hold well (even adjusting for competition) just like a normal 4day. So it’s pretty clear the weakness of Labor Openers is a product issue. BP with a Labor Day date still does 200/240 or whatever, maybe a little bigger even (Lab Mon seems to act stronger than Pres Mon to me though it’s a little inconclusive).

Edit: Dec 24 another example of an actually weak date, though it’s close to some strong ones so you don’t see people trying to avoid it too much.

Edited by Lokis Legion

Honestly the only weekends that are "cursed" or at least are a bad place to put a movie under at this point is Super Bowl weekend, and the two weekends after Thanksgiving (unless of course Thanksgiving is really late like in 2019 or 2013), and that's just because it's in a hard place in terms of holiday bumps. There's no Thanksgiving bump, people already spent a lot of money over the Thanksgiving break as is, and it's too early on the calendar to get a Christmas bump, especially since so many other movies launch closer to the date and take up real estate in auditoriums and advertising.

And even then, when it comes to the latter, stuff like Last Samurai, Ocean's Eleven, and Narnia all did boffo numbers in those early December debuts precisely because they were exciting, appealing movies folks wanted to see. Almost as if people will see a movie that looks interesting and is advertised well regardless of a release date

• Like 2

I'd say 74 Metacritic. Higher than Black Widow (67), Far From Home (69), Captain Marvel (64), Antman and Wasp (70), Infinity War (68), Homecoming (73), Guardians 2 (67), Doctor Strange (72), Antman (64), Ultron (66), Winter Soldier (70), Dark World (54), Iron Man 3 (62), Avengers (69), First Avenger (66), Thor (57), Hulk (61). And same as Ragnarok

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Guessing 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes. 

The other superhero films this year:

Black Widow 80% 418 reviews 
The Suicide Squad 91% 324 reviews 

Anything over 90 would be great , let's see.

what's the time for embargo lift?