MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think if your POV is so contrarian, you shouldn't be a film critic.

People need a reliable litmus test to figure out if they'll like a film. If your opinion is unrelatable then you're useless as a food taster. You're basically going to highly recommend "poisonous food".

That's ridiculous. The "consensus" is generated by the aggregate of audience opinion and people have varied opinions on many things. That's the whole point of RT and Meta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but still...the difference is Shang Chi cost a hell of  a lot more then either of above two  movies.

And as for the Dragon in the movie: Fin Fang Foom I presume?

FG cost at least $120 million? (I’ve seen claims it was up to 150.

SC cost more I’m sure, but FG had a blockbuster budget.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I dont see why that would negatively impact it's opening weekend.

More like it has to do better numbers then the other two films because it cost a lot more.

Projections are for for a 4o to 50 million opening.

It is getting good reviews, but that did not help Suicide Squad much. I think it will do better then SS because Marvel Studios is a brand people have come to trust but I think low 50's is the best it can hope for with the Covid situation.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

EC in the weekend thread predicted 60 million 3 day OW for this, which sounds good to me. 

Most of the projections I am reading are in the 45 to 55 Million range, but that would be very good for a Covid era film.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

More like it has to do better numbers then the other two films because it cost a lot more.

It is getting good reviews, but that did not help Suicide Squad much. I think it will do better then SS because Marvel Studios is a brand people have come to trust but I think low 50's is the best it can hope for with the Covid situation.

Low 50s for the 3day or the 4 day weekend ?

Seems like previews are heading towards 8 to 9m now so I think 60m for the 3day is the floor for now.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I think if your POV is so contrarian, you shouldn't be a film critic.

People need a reliable litmus test to figure out if they'll like a film. If your opinion is unrelatable then you're useless as a food taster. You're basically going to highly recommend "poisonous food".

I think you are mixing movie reviewer and film critic, it make sense for a reviewer what you say, but a critic job is not just (or mostly) access if the average people have a good chance to like a movie.

A film critic is helping is reader (listener, viewer) contextualizing an oeuvre in the context of it's time (social, cultural, etc...) and of it's auteur body of work and so on. In short critics often produce content for people that have seen the movie already, reviewer is more before you've seen it.

And for both the movie and food critics, there is never poisonous food or high stake danger involved.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Pauline Kael had some pretty contrarian type takes back  the day with her reviews. She absolutely loathed Rain Man for example. Plenty of other very well received movies she did not like. 

Casablanca, Raging Bull, 2001, Blade Runner and a Clockwork Orange were other movies she did not really enjoy.

Edited by Ronin46
added some more movies
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I did some looking about and as far as I can tell, the only actual projection/tracking out there is from Box Office Pro.  Haven't seen anything else from The Wrap, Variety, THR, or Deadline.

BOP does have this:

9/3/2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings $35,000,000 – $55,000,000 $100,000,000 – $165,000,000   Disney / Marvel Studios

But that was made before a single ticket was sold.  I suspect when @Shawn puts out the weekend forecast in a few days it will be a tad higher.

(I would also note that 33-55 range is for the 3day, not the 4day)

23 minutes ago, lilmac said:

$40M-$45M OW

I also think Bond will be the next $200M grosser.

Pre-sales are very very very probably too strong for this to open at 40-45.

Is a chance regional trackers are over-estimating, but I don't think by that much.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Is this your ‘excuse’ for everything? You’re such a f**king clown. You’ve been pretty much wrong about everything the last year on here, what is one more stupid/wrong prediction?

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I hoped we would get a public LRF update last Friday, but we didn’t. I’m confident that the BOP internal range is 45-65 at bare minimum as of that update, but the weekend forecast probably 52-75 or so. Add 25% for a rough and dirty 4day.

Edited by Lokis Legion

On 8/30/2021 at 12:26 AM, Lokis Legion said:

Give it another few days to finalize for safety and tradition, but feeling a flop bar™️ of 72,810,712

Looks about right for the 3 day.

I'm still sticking with my rough guess from the weekend thread of 80m for the 3 day and on top of that I'll say 105m for the 4 day. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, Menor said:

That's ridiculous. The "consensus" is generated by the aggregate of audience opinion and people have varied opinions on many things. That's the whole point of RT and Meta.

I don't see the point of someone who gives Catwoman five stars and The Godfather a rotten.

It just distorts the score.

Too many of those critics and it renders RT scores useless. Luckily most critics aren't contrarians.