Eric Loves Rey

The Very Boring Dec. 7-9 Weekend Thread l Ralph 16.1 l Grinch 15.1 l Creed 10.3 l Favourite 1.4 l Schindler's 551K l Scots 200K l Vox Lux 162K l Ben is Back 81K l Aquaman opens to 93.6M in China l Who's excited for Christmas?

36 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

Mortal Engines: 1:58. Attachments are Glass (might be new trailer) and How to Train Your Dragon.

The Mule: 1:51. Attachments unknown (Isn't It Romantic and Godzilla?).

Spider-Verse: 1:49. Attachments unknown (Far From Home and A Dog's Way Home?).

Once Upon a Deadpool: 1:47. Attachments unknown (Dark Phoenix and Alita probably).

I feel like Men in Black International will play in front of Spider-Verse.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Is it exaggerating to say that Ralph is not even locked for 200M anymore? I'm thinking 210's range, but that's about the ceiling. It's hard not to say that coming so close to The Grinch hurt it.

It's looking really frontloaded I'll admit. Think it's gonna depend on how much of an audience it can retain with Spider-Verse opening. There'll be enough BO cash to go around for it to make pennies over Xmas, but it's really going to need to hold on next weekend. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I never get why Universal decided not to release Mortal Engines this weekend. It is an open field and no competitions. Even with mid teens opening, they still get the headlines of opening at No. 1. 

They knew I had exams and wouldn't be available to contribute my twelve dollars to its opening weekend, so decided to wait till the 14th. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Calm before what storm? This is the weakest December in recent memory. 

Next weekend will have three new releases, including Into the Spider-Verse which is looking more and more like a 200M+ performer. Then the week after has Mary Poppins, Aquaman, and Bumblebee. The next few weeks will be pretty lively and hectic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, boxofficeth said:

I never get why Universal decided not to release Mortal Engines this weekend. It is an open field and no competitions. Even with mid teens opening, they still get the headlines of opening at No. 1. 

That's because of the two week deal Universal and other major studios have with major exhibitors. A December 7th movie gets dropped on the 21st but a December 14th movie gets to stay over the Christmas timeframe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

Mortal Engines: 1:58. Attachments are Glass (might be new trailer) and How to Train Your Dragon.

The Mule: 1:51. Attachments unknown (Isn't It Romantic and Godzilla?).

Spider-Verse: 1:49. Attachments unknown (Far From Home and A Dog's Way Home?).

Once Upon a Deadpool: 1:47. Attachments unknown (Dark Phoenix and Alita probably).

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Please no.

Update: God dammit

• Haha 2

Distributors immediately need to stop living in those self-fulfilling prohecies.

No, the weekends after TG are not neccessarily bad to open a movie. 
They are bad, because you open third-rate movies most of the time. 

Instead,, we are wasting 2 weeks of capacities in movie theaters and open 11! movies in not even 2 weeks from here on.

I will repeat it again and again: There are no bad release dates, only movies, people don't want to see. 

Sony should have known they have a big winner on their hands with Spider Man and opened it earlier. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Distributors immediately need to stop living in those self-fulfilling prohecies.

Instead,, we are wasting 2 weeks of capacities in movie theaters and open 11! movies in not even 2 weeks from here on.

I will repeat it again and again: There are no bad release dates, only movies, people don't want to see. 

Sony should have known they have a big winner on their hands with Spider Man and opened it earlier. 

This, 100%...something should have moved to this spot, even if it meant losing the Christmas off days.  Heck, if nothing else, Deadpool's PG-13 12 day run should have moved to this spot, so it could have been out at MP's opener...I mean, DP2's a movie tailor made to appeal to an empty theater scene...

The 11 movies will eat each other, and nothing is gonna get more than dual-screened at 12s and below...and there's only so much you can make dual screened, even if you sell out every seat for a week...and it is only a week...so somethings will rise, and many will get crunched.  Their only benny is that Dec 28 is now empty, too, so if they survive, the Dec 14-25 movies will have a tiny breather til after the new year...

• Like 1

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I feel like Aquaman could have opened this weekend and done great. Everything indicates that it's a quality picture, and it wouldn't have lost that many theaters when the Christmas season started, so it would still make good money during the holiday. It could have even done damage to its competition. Good WOM from the movie would have also dimmed interest in Spider-Verse and Bumblebee, even if slightly.

But then again, Aquaman's supposed to open to at least 80M in its current date, so my argument is probably moot. :lol: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

It’s because a December 7 release would’ve meant getting cut by Christmas Day. They want that holiday boost. Mortal Engines could bomb big time next weekend but the earliest theaters could drop it is the first weekend of January so it could be down to 1-2 showtimes by Christmas Day but at least it’ll still be playing in most theaters everywhere during the time off.