Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (1/25-1/27): Weekend Estimates: Glass 19M l Upside 12.2M l Aquaman 7.3M l Kid WWB King 7.2M l Spider-Verse: 5.5M l Green Book 5.2M l Serenity 4.8M

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

must have missed the #woke memo, since when was BEAUTY AND THE BEAST of all things had LGBT subject matter ?

one of the main supporting characters (male) was narrating outloud about a potential romance with another main supporting character (male)

it would be like how the peasant women would crush on 'The Prince' and you are left to assume the peasant women are "fishing" to catch the prince, but then leave it to Disney to have one of the male characters do it for another male.  THis would be represented with screen time and generate reactions.  

tumblr_n8elasTJPx1r0jwamo1_1280.gif

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Next weekend better see something interesting, like Glass staying above 10M or upside having a sub-25% drop. Cause it looks BRUTAL until LEGO.

It seems like it will have a real opening of They Shall Not Grow Old...either the movie's red hot demand will have petered out...or we could have an out-of-nowhere hit coming...it's well-timed by WB, either way...(although it's still so weird, having just 2 shows preselling for each weekend day at every one of my area theaters - like is it getting a real release, or is it still an "event" next weekend:)...

• Astonished 2

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It seems like it will have a real opening of They Shall Not Grow Old...either the movie's red hot demand will have petered out...or we could have an out-of-nowhere hit coming...it's well-timed by WB, either way...(although it's still so weird, having just 2 shows preselling for each weekend day at every one of my area theaters - like is it getting a real release, or is it still an "event" next weekend:)...

God I hope it's a real release, I'm dying to see it. 

• Like 2

I thought after They Shall Not Grow Old that I would've really preferred to just read the soldiers' accounts and look at the unaltered footage or pictures separately. The sound effects, colorization etc. is an interesting idea but in execution it only kept reminding me of how compromised it is rather than immersing me into it. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I thought after They Shall Not Grow Old that I would've really preferred to just read the soldiers' accounts and look at the unaltered footage or pictures separately. The sound effects, colorization etc. is an interesting idea but in execution it only kept reminding me of how compromised it is rather than immersing me into it. 

i liked the colourisation but i did think the added dialogue was goofy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

each to their own.

fyi the dialogue was not from soldiers accounts. it was worked out by lip readers from the (silent) footage.

Edited by Avatree

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

Well, at the very least, Serenity at least managed to make more in its OW than Replicas will have made in its entire theatrical run.

As one of the very few people to see Replicas, I’d like to say it got what it deserved.

My mistake was having a few drinks before hand in hopes of appreciating some really epic camp and cult-film worthy badness and it failed to deliver on those grounds as well as conventionally.

Which was a shame. The robot and the sidekick knew exactly what was up and tried their best, but they weren’t able to get the ball over the goalline.

• Like 2

One bright spot this week is Cold War continues to have strong PTAs expanding to 100+ theaters. Hopefully it can take advantage of the lack of other prestige options and leg itself out to a wide release.

Either way my local arthouse gets it next weekend and I'm itching to see it.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

As one of the very few people to see Replicas, I’d like to say it got what it deserved.

My mistake was having a few drinks before hand in hopes of appreciating some really epic camp and cult-film worthy badness and it failed to deliver on those grounds as well as conventionally.

Which was a shame. The robot and the sidekick knew exactly what was up and tried their best, but they weren’t able to get the ball over the goalline.

Someone should make a movie called THE ROBOT AND THE SIDEKICK. 

• Like 1

the thing i really appreciated about Cold War is that it does convincingly give us a decade-spanning romance, as well as providing a lot of political and historical context, in under 90 minutes and never feels rushed, in fact quite the opposite. other movies have no excuse! 

can't say it's one of my favourites of the year tho. IDA was better.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the thing i really appreciated about Cold War is that it does convincingly give us a decade-spanning romance, as well as providing a lot of political and historical context, in under 90 minutes and never feels rushed, in fact quite the opposite. other movies have no excuse! 

can't say it's one of my favourites of the year tho. IDA was better.

The 90 minutes thing has me intrigued.

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Aquaman and Spidey have great drops. And Aquaman has done around 800mil without China so all of those lying haters can suck it after saying that it only did well in China.

Someone actually tried to downplay Aquaman's megasuccess by saying it was only so big worldwide because of China? 

That's petty AF.

Also...I am so glad that MPR came, saw, and did not conquer. 

The film was awful.

Oh, and Escape Room's drop...WTF? This little 9-million dollar film seems like it might end up grossing 55-60 million dollars. When will they announce ER2?